RUSH
Mar 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bustersgotavmax

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post.
                 I've grown up as a RUSH fan and have recently started digging up some of my old CD's.Moving Pictures has to be my favourite album from the day it came out. However,after a long hiatus I've wanted to pick up my collection where I've left off.
                Snakes and Arrows and Feedback are the latest albums I've been trying to listen to ,and I mean TRYING,They sound awfull,not the music,I haven't gotten that far,but the mastering is almost unlistenable. The levels are insanely high to the point where the whole sound is verging on distortion.
              Is there a better mastered version of these albums out there? Would love to know before I waste money trying any other releases .                                             Glenn

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 15
No, they are awful recordings.  And the music isn't very good either.  I've been to 28 RUSH concerts.  Mostly in the 70's and 80's.  Since Fly By Night came out when Neil Peart replaced John Rutsy, I was hardcore till late 80's when their music turned blah to me.

Favorites are 2112, Moving Pictures and Hemispheres by a mile.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 15
Our stories are similar,except I've only been to 4 shows in the early and mid 80's. The last 10 years especially I  haven't payed much attention.
 I'm just shocked that a band known for their musicianship would allow their music to be released with such poor quality mastering.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Did someone say Rush! I'm a huge fan....and so is my avatar. 
size]

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 15
"Snakes and Ladders" is a my #4 favorite Rush album behind: "Grace Under Pressure", "Signals" and "Moving Pictures".  The latest "Clockwork Angels" would be a close #5.  "Clockwork Angels" does sound a little better than the last few.  "Snakes and Ladders" isn't a great recording but the music is top rate.  "Vapor Trails" sounds even worse than "Snakes and Ladders".  I'm more a "music-phile" than audiophile.  For me, It takes a REALLY bad recording to take away from the music.  "Vapor Trails" is the only Rush album that does that for me.  It's too bad, because there is some good material on it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 15
Big Rush fan here too :)
Hemisphere's on as I type!

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 15
 I 'm a very new member here and don't seem to be able to post pics yet,but when I can I will share a snapshot of 2 soundwaves.
    One of Tom Sawyer off of Power WIndows and the other off of Snakes & Ladders -Far Cry. Tom Sawyer shows a nice soundwave with high peaks and modest gain settings while Far Cry shows a big fat wall of a soundwave where peaks have been clipped and gains have been pushed far too high.All in all, they're showing me what my ears are hearing. I'm really disappointed.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 15
They're custom... at the moment nothing about Grado is on them since they're sporting Magnum drivers.
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/ -> They're the serial #001 :)

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
I'm going to stop looking at that page now,I've got a half remodelled kitchen to think of. Some of the cups on that page are just beautiful.

Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your kitchen sink... and everything around it :)

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 15
    This is probably not news to most in this forum,so my apoligies for stating the known,but to me, it's a new discovery,a horrible,ugly discovery.

RUSH - Moving Pictures- Tom Sawyer ,nice looking soundwave with high peaks.

RUSH-SNAKES & ARROWS-FAR CRY. WOW

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 15
My favorite Rush album is their first "Rush".  My next two favorites would be "Fly by Night" and "Caress of Steel".  I liked each subsequent album just a little less.  I still like to listen to Rush both recorded and live but in my opinion their earliest stuff was their best.  Favorite Rush song would be By-Tor and the Snow Dog.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 15
I haven't been able to get through Vapor Trails because it sounds terrible. Snakes and Arrows was bearable for me and I enjoyed it a bit personally. However, my favorite is Hemispheres. Cygnus X-1 is my favorite song followed by 2112. Erm, dare I say I also really liked Caress of Steel. I think they got too much crap for that album. From the later era, Grace Under Pressure and Roll the Bones were also favorites of mine and Clockwork Angels to me was a fantastic album. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
I haven't been able to get through Vapor Trails because it sounds terrible. Snakes and Arrows was bearable for me and I enjoyed it a bit personally. However, my favorite is Hemispheres. Cygnus X-1 is my favorite song followed by 2112. Erm, dare I say I also really liked Caress of Steel. I think they got too much crap for that album. From the later era, Grace Under Pressure and Roll the Bones were also favorites of mine and Clockwork Angels to me was a fantastic album. 

+1 for Clockwork Angels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back