Rush - Vapor Trails Remaster petition
Feb 28, 2008 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

L7R

Head-Fier
(This is maybe a old news, but I did a little search and found anything)

Link to petition:
Rush - Vapor Trails Remaster Petition

Honestly I don't think there never will be "re-master" which can correct this album, because of errors they made already in multitrack tapes.
And what I've heard remasters from various artists, they aren't usually anyway better than originals. More likely destroyed when making them sound hot like todays popchart's = very boring/not punchy. So a remaster will get this album even more "hot" and loud if it's even possible.
rolleyes.gif

Only thing I see is re-record all instruments again, except vocals which can hardly cause any distortion. They could even do that like recording "on the fly" (sorry my english) ie. one session per song. That would be a few days work and could even be fun to make and even more fun to listen! Then they could sell it like "good ol' recording" to honor the past great rock albums.

just my 2c's [and here I would like to add :225smile: if it exists]

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the link, interesting read.

I never knew how bad Vapor Trails was until I heard it on high-end equipment. (compared to what 99% of people use, my SR60s are high-end)

The sad part is, most people don't notice or care about the sound of the album. I'm hopeful that a remaster will be in the works, but I'm not holding my breath.

Feb 28, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Oh, my pleasure. Me too didn't notice anything at first, except "cracks and pops" but thought those were added for some kind of purpose. Then I wondered why I can't even bothered to listen the whole record at once. Almost every song is good if playing one at the time -but not whole album.

btw, those who are not interested about rush, there's quite many intresting articles about why/how todays recordings sounds like they sound. Also explaining why louder is not necessarily that, but even completely opposite.

Over the Limit from Rip Rowan

Loudness war from Wikipedia

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 7
The sound is a little hard to describe.

Clipping everywhere.
No variance in the details, its either very loud and forward, or not there at all.
Not dynamic.
Sounds more "mono", as in very small soundstage.
No separation of instruments, kinda like if you recorded the entire album with a single Mic hanging in the middle of the band. Actually this might sound better than the CD, so nevermind.

Ok that wasn't so hard, the sound just plain sucks.

But really, if you are a huge Rush addict like I am, it's a must have. The songs are all great. Just play it in your car where you won't notice the quality as much.

Aug 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Any luck with this, there is now a japanese version, any idea if it is any better???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back