Rush: Newbie?
May 29, 2002 at 1:29 AM Post #16 of 23
What he said. Moving Pictures and the one with Subdivisions on it (I forget the name) it was the follow up to Moving Pictures. Great albums, probably at their peak. YYZ is a great song, er instrumental.

May 29, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
Andrzej,

I think you're going to find Mystery Box #1 VERY interesting.
evil_smiley.gif

YAHOOO!

biggrin.gif

Guys, leave it(or them)! Or I'll take ALL the discs and replace them with Spears, Aguilera, Pink, Backstreet Boys, etc.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #18 of 23
I would agree with Moving Pictures. I LOVE the sound of the drums and bass on this album and all the songs are good instead of just liking two or three. I don't especially like the other albums so maybe I'm not a true fan although I haven't really heard Vapor Trails yet on a good system. I had Moving Pictures on LP and recently got the CD on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Kind of off topic: are there other CDs (not Rush) you think someone who likes Moving Pictures would like?

May 29, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 23
I would agree with Moving Pictures. I LOVE the sound of the drums and bass on this album and all the songs are good instead of just liking two or three. I don't especially like the other albums so maybe I'm not a true fan although I haven't really heard Vapor Trails yet on a good system. I had Moving Pictures on LP and recently got the CD on Ebay for pretty cheap.

Kind of off topic: are there other CDs (not Rush) you think someone who likes Moving Pictures would like?

May 30, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 23
2112 is great. Moving pictures is fun (do NOT play Red Barchetta while driving any kind of fast car, or you will live the experience for real).

Permanent waves is also an outstanding album. The Spirit of the Radio and Free Will are absolute anthems. Unfortunately I have never found it on CD, and both of my turntables are acting up (pissed off from neglect, I suspect).

gerG

May 30, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeffo

Um...no, not really...j/k...will give it some thought, but nothing comes to mind...just looked at AMG's "similar album" list...Pat Benatar? The Buggles?...I think not...just ignore their list...alright, checked out their similar artists section...would go with Queensryche (Empire, Operation Mindcrime), maybe...maybe Fates Warning (Parallels, Perfect Symmetry, A Lighter Shade Of Grey)...Return to Forever? Talking Heads? Who comes up with this stuff? Obviously someone who is not from the 80's who lumps all 80's stuff together...would also go with King's X (I personally go with Faith Hope Love, though they recommend Gretchen Goes To Nebraska).

I also remember really liking Shadow Gallery's Tyranny.

May 30, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #22 of 23
I gotta go with Greg here. 2112 is the Rush masterpeice. None the less, I also agree with Greg's second pick, Permanent Waves. Permanent Waves contains my favorite Rush song, "Natural Science."

Let me be as straight forward about this as I can be, though. You should own every Rush album. You SHOULD be embarassed to even be reading this thread. None the less, when you ask "which" Rush to buy, what you MEAN to say is which Rush to buy first. You should stake a plan to acquire them all for your library. The alternative would be that you have gravely wasted your time and efforts on arguing about hardware and headphones.

So there.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS Your complete checklist may be found here. As indicated elsehwere, you may skip Retrospective and Chronicles.
Rush Discography

May 30, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #23 of 23
I don't care about Rush and have never heard them, so I'm not gonna contribute much here other than.... archosman stole my freakin' avatar! I hate you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back