Rupert Neve Designs Announces The RNHP: Precision Headphone Amplifier
Dec 31, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #406 of 522
Wonder if this iFi Audio iPower Elite (24V/2.5A) power supply would really make this baby sing better? Granted $299 is a lot of money BUT it may make a significant difference. This amp comes stock with a very cheap power supply.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower-elite/
iPower-Elite-8-1024x588.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #407 of 522
Wonder if this iFi Audio iPower Elite (24V/2.5A) power supply would really make this baby sing better? Granted $299 is a lot of money BUT it may make a significant difference. This amp comes stock with a very cheap power supply.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower-elite/iPower-Elite-8-1024x588.jpg
It would appear to offer too much current. On the back of the RNHP Precision amplifier are the notations: 24VDC 6W 0.25A

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #408 of 522
Neve has no interest in selling or recommending 3rd party power supplies. They state in their instructions that the supplied unit IS the recommended power supply and discourage the use of a different one. The 1/4 amp supply was determined by how much current the amp drew in high stress scenarios, which is determined by the input resistance of the power supply. Even with a supply that can provide 10 times the current, the amp would still only pull 1/4 amp.

Expensive linear power supplies only help with devices whose power supplies are poorly regulated, insufficiently filtered, or just plain poorly designed.

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #410 of 522
I saw that and was very surprised. I paid $485 maybe two years ago. I don't think it's worth $700. Maybe they're Australian dollars? Neve came out with the Felice line, and that headphone amp was the same device in a fancy package - but none of the serious issues were addressed, notably the turn on/off pops, the snaps and crackles when the headphone was first plugged in, and the failure to remember which input was active when turned off. That amp cost well over $1000. Too pricey.

Jan 4, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #411 of 522
Nope, 699€ from Thomann with rating 4,9/5

I'm glad I got it earlier for less than 500€. Not saying it's not worth of 200 more. It is the best amp I'v had so far. What are the arguments against it? Sound wise?

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #413 of 522
It was a good deal at $500. $700, makes no difference. Knowing the RND brand it was weird that it was ever lower. They just finally added the extra $200 for the brand name that wasn't there before. They're a position where they're like "Here's the price, you want it or not?" RND gear costs a lot more than other brands in general and people who want it still pay for it. The only competitors in the pro audio space in that range were the little labs monotor($550) and the lake people stuff(~$500?). SPL phonitor one was in that little bracket maybe, but most people think that the stuff they make in that price range is whooped by the RNHP. So anyway the price change is just RND just moving to their natural pricing position of costing more than everything else comparable because they have the extra magic(so people think, and it might actually be). The audiophile space is irrelevant to them. I know that for a fact because audio engineers seek equipment that is purpose specific and ignore the audiophile market. That's because audio engineers are drawn to "reference" gear. Audio engineers have to listen for subtle changes in dynamics and can't really trust consumer gear that wasn't meant for that kind of trained critical listening. So to an audio engineer, if it isn't sold by sweetwater or vintage king etc. it's not an option. They are not competing with chinese made audiophile amps or Schiit etc. (I'm not putting an opinion about "reference" gear out there, I'm just saying that is the condition of the market that this amplifier is for.)

It would be literally perfect, flawless in every way for it's application if it had a muting relay. There could be a reason for that though other than cost. Whether it's reliability or signal integrity idk. But the startup and shutdown procedure is a little bit wack. Nothing else about the unit makes me think they were trying to cheap out in any way. The build quality is over the top excellent in even the most subtle details. The front panel headphone jack is the ultimate CHERTHUNK. The finish on the volume knob and the color of it are amazing. The back has Neutrik brand connections which are the best there are. I use all Neutrik in my studio and believe it or not that specific detail is important to me haha. Plugging Neutrik into Neutrik is quite a FIT. Alps pot that's s m o o t h af. The heavy metal case covers a metal chassis. The unit is heavy. It really gives me the impression that it was built to last a LONG time. It's made in the USA.

Knowing a bit about Rupert Neve's design philosophy, there is scientifically measurable evidence that this amp follows it. The specs indicate it is linear to 100khz. The significance of that is that Rupert was obsessed with meeting that specification. He believed that humans can perceive supersonic frequencies and if something was missing or off above 20khz, it would result in distress instead of relaxation. He believed anecdotal evidence that someone who was a customer, an audio engineer with the legendary "golden ears" was distressed by a resonance at 50khz on a console he sold him. This guy hated the console and no one else understood why and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Rupert showed up and listened with a bunch of other people, then they brought out the measuring equipment and found a resonance at 50khz that wasn't supposed to be there. After that and some listening tests that he had participated in under scientific conditions, he required all of his designs to have linearity to 100khz "just to make sure". He often claimed there was scientific evidence of this as well and cited studies(I haven't looked them up... yet). I feel like that spec is an indicator that his design philosophy is probably followed elsewhere within the amp.

When I tell people that I think that HI RES music sounds better for some reason, people think that's crazy.
Rupert was wayyyyy more extreme than my view. He made sure that everything went to 100khz. He said that compact discs(44.1khz 16bit) were "utter rubbish". He had some controversial opinions about digital audio for a while, but he warmed way up to it when it improved later on.

Some people on internet forums have looked inside this amp and said different things that were not correct or not understood certain things about it. I am not an expert on the design of electronics or want to try to speak on specifics because I'm not qualified to. I see some ways where if you put any faith in Rupert Neve's vast, expansive design philosophy from his extremely long experience of designing electronics, from helping to start modern recording to just recently, and understand this this little amp shows signs that it follows them, you may believe there is something to it. People online look at what OP amps and parts are in it, but he had specific ideas on how to utilize components and make them conform to his requirements for performance. Anyone qualified to look at the board on the amp and accurately tell everyone everything that's going on won't have time to get on the internet and do such a thing.

We do know that everyone's subjective listening impression is that the amp is "natural" sounding. And that is exactly what Rupert was always after. Natural sound reproduction. I'm not an headphone amp expert, but I know natural sound. I've heard a lot of instruments up close in person. I've heard singers up close, and I'm impressed. Rupert believed that subjective listening and scientific testing were to both be used together. He believed that subjectivity and objectivity were to be in balance and work together.

Rupert Neve Designs appear to follow the design philosophy of the man that could possibly have been the most experienced audio equipment designer who ever lived and with his direct involvement at the time with this amplifier was designed. So that's neat.

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #414 of 522
It was a good deal at $500. $700, makes no difference. Knowing the RND brand it was weird that it was ever lower. They just finally added the extra $200 for the brand name that wasn't there before. They're a position where they're like "Here's the price, you want it or not?" RND gear costs a lot more than other brands in general and people who want it still pay for it. The only competitors in the pro audio space in that range were the little labs monotor($550) and the lake people stuff(~$500?). SPL phonitor one was in that little bracket maybe, but most people think that the stuff they make in that price range is whooped by the RNHP. So anyway the price change is just RND just moving to their natural pricing position of costing more than everything else comparable because they have the extra magic(so people think, and it might actually be). The audiophile space is irrelevant to them. I know that for a fact because audio engineers seek equipment that is purpose specific and ignore the audiophile market. That's because audio engineers are drawn to "reference" gear. Audio engineers have to listen for subtle changes in dynamics and can't really trust consumer gear that wasn't meant for that kind of trained critical listening. So to an audio engineer, if it isn't sold by sweetwater or vintage king etc. it's not an option. They are not competing with chinese made audiophile amps or Schiit etc. (I'm not putting an opinion about "reference" gear out there, I'm just saying that is the condition of the market that this amplifier is for.)

It would be literally perfect, flawless in every way for it's application if it had a muting relay. There could be a reason for that though other than cost. Whether it's reliability or signal integrity idk. But the startup and shutdown procedure is a little bit wack. Nothing else about the unit makes me think they were trying to cheap out in any way. The build quality is over the top excellent in even the most subtle details. The front panel headphone jack is the ultimate CHERTHUNK. The finish on the volume knob and the color of it are amazing. The back has Neutrik brand connections which are the best there are. I use all Neutrik in my studio and believe it or not that specific detail is important to me haha. Plugging Neutrik into Neutrik is quite a FIT. Alps pot that's s m o o t h af. The heavy metal case covers a metal chassis. The unit is heavy. It really gives me the impression that it was built to last a LONG time. It's made in the USA.

Knowing a bit about Rupert Neve's design philosophy, there is scientifically measurable evidence that this amp follows it. The specs indicate it is linear to 100khz. The significance of that is that Rupert was obsessed with meeting that specification. He believed that humans can perceive supersonic frequencies and if something was missing or off above 20khz, it would result in distress instead of relaxation. He believed anecdotal evidence that someone who was a customer, an audio engineer with the legendary "golden ears" was distressed by a resonance at 50khz on a console he sold him. This guy hated the console and no one else understood why and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Rupert showed up and listened with a bunch of other people, then they brought out the measuring equipment and found a resonance at 50khz that wasn't supposed to be there. After that and some listening tests that he had participated in under scientific conditions, he required all of his designs to have linearity to 100khz "just to make sure". He often claimed there was scientific evidence of this as well and cited studies(I haven't looked them up... yet). I feel like that spec is an indicator that his design philosophy is probably followed elsewhere within the amp.

When I tell people that I think that HI RES music sounds better for some reason, people think that's crazy.
Rupert was wayyyyy more extreme than my view. He made sure that everything went to 100khz. He said that compact discs(44.1khz 16bit) were "utter rubbish". He had some controversial opinions about digital audio for a while, but he warmed way up to it when it improved later on.

Some people on internet forums have looked inside this amp and said different things that were not correct or not understood certain things about it. I am not an expert on the design of electronics or want to try to speak on specifics because I'm not qualified to. I see some ways where if you put any faith in Rupert Neve's vast, expansive design philosophy from his extremely long experience of designing electronics, from helping to start modern recording to just recently, and understand this this little amp shows signs that it follows them, you may believe there is something to it. People online look at what OP amps and parts are in it, but he had specific ideas on how to utilize components and make them conform to his requirements for performance. Anyone qualified to look at the board on the amp and accurately tell everyone everything that's going on won't have time to get on the internet and do such a thing.

We do know that everyone's subjective listening impression is that the amp is "natural" sounding. And that is exactly what Rupert was always after. Natural sound reproduction. I'm not an headphone amp expert, but I know natural sound. I've heard a lot of instruments up close in person. I've heard singers up close, and I'm impressed. Rupert believed that subjective listening and scientific testing were to both be used together. He believed that subjectivity and objectivity were to be in balance and work together.

Rupert Neve Designs appear to follow the design philosophy of the man that could possibly have been the most experienced audio equipment designer who ever lived and with his direct involvement at the time with this amplifier was designed. So that's neat.
Interesting that the original SPL Phonitor 2730 has no muting circuits for start up/shut down as per the RNHP and the Fidelice DAC/Preamp/headphone amp. SPL claimed it was for sonic reasons.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #415 of 522
Interesting that the original SPL Phonitor 2730 has no muting circuits for start up/shut down as per the RNHP and the Fidelice DAC/Preamp/headphone amp. SPL claimed it was for sonic reasons.
Even though I don't usually want to believe what manufacturers say, because it's often excuses, I could believe it. I just don't know enough about it to confirm.

If that huge tabletop Fidelice DAC amp doesn't have muting, that helps me believe that it has nothing to do with costs haha. And I see nothing about the RNHP that says cost cutting. The build is top notch in even the most subtle ways as well as obvious ones.

Either way, I have accepted that there is a startup and shutdown procedure and it's not an issue for me to follow. The only thing that I see as negative is putting the extra cycles on the jack. The jack in the unit is one that can no doubt handle a lot a mating cycles. Assuming(maybe incorrectly, but probably not) that the jack is a neutrik, they're rated at greater than 10,000 cycles. According to my calculations and estimates I will probably exceed 10,000 cycles sometime in 2027. I'll report back.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #416 of 522
A quality turn on/off relay would be a negligible additional cost on a $500 or a $700 unit, and absolutely expected on something over $1000. There is no excuse for the headphone-damaging transients that come from this amp.

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #417 of 522
A quality turn on/off relay would be a negligible additional cost on a $500 or a $700 unit, and absolutely expected on something over $1000. There is no excuse for the headphone-damaging transients that come from this amp.
I agree, but again Neve is a Neve. There is a reason why pro people are after them even with some manual setting - recalling in which order you should start up your chain. For me its small minus if the sound is there where it should be.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #418 of 522
I have to admit that I would have preferred a mute relay and a small hit sonically on the Fidelice and SPL. They both sound superb, however. The Burson Conductor Reference 3X has muting. Sounds excellent too.
Do the more recent Phonitors have muting relays?

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #419 of 522
I have to admit that I would have preferred a mute relay and a small hit sonically on the Fidelice and SPL. They both sound superb, however. The Burson Conductor Reference 3X has muting. Sounds excellent too.
Do the more recent Phonitors have muting relays?
Is this an issue if one plugs in headphones after turning on amp / takes out headphones before turning off amp: each done with volume at minimum ?

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #420 of 522
Is this an issue if one plugs in headphones after turning on amp / takes out headphones before turning off amp: each done with volume at minimum ?
No issue if plugged/unplugged promptly and completely, apart from wear on the plug/socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back