running with custom IEMs (Westone ES2's) a bad idea?
May 1, 2007 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sanity8me

500+ Head-Fier
anyone workout and/or run with IEMs/custom IEMs?

i'm planning on getting a small player for working out and running, but not sure if it's a good idea to use my beloved westone ES2's... i usually go running late at night around my neighborhood when there are hardly any cars driving around and i run for a pretty long time covering around 5-8 miles..

also, and this question should probably be in the portable audio section, but any recommendations for a good small workout player? i guess flash memory would be the ideal choice, but i'm not sure which to get? really like the specs and design of the sony NW-S205F....

May 1, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 14
I would never go running with isolating customs or IEMs on other than on a closed track/circuit or a treadmill. I want to always be aware of my surroundings when running outdoors as you never know what could come at you, person or thing. But, to each his/her own, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 14
I'd go with earbuds instead. You say there's not many cars? Having open headphones seems better, then. Plus, you'd be getting microphonics with IEM's, even though it would be very minimal.

May 1, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 14
vo328, if there would be a car i'd notice the light from the headlights immediately if lets say it was in back of me and i didn't "hear" it coming.. and i see no other reason why i'd need my hearing during my late night run

flamerz, till this day i haven't experienced microphonics with my ES2's..

basically, what i'm concerned about is:
1) will the ES2's become uncomfortable to run with for such a long period? (i would think not since they're 10x more comfortable than earbuds or any other pair of buds i've ever tried)
2) do i have a chance of damaging them since i'll probably be sweating a lot? (if there's even a slight chance of this, then there's no way am i running with them)
3) the cord may be too long if i'm going to use an armband for my player (but i guess it shouldn't be that much of an issue since i'll probably find a way to tuck it in somewhere)

May 1, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Ah, my bad then. Anyway, I doubt they'd get uncomfortable. Yes, you could damage them with the sweat, but if you just put some glue or something over the joints where the sweat may be able to seep into, there shouldn't be a problem. There have been threads about sweat turning the cables green (oxidizing them), and I've only read one example of someone's cable not working because of this. Unfortunately, Westone doesn't have such easily replacable cables as UE. As for the cord length, if it's too long, just get some tape or something
tongue.gif

May 1, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 14
I don't use IEMs for running since I'm paranoid against damaging them with sweat. Personally I rarely sweat that much when I'm in the gym though, so I see no problem using them there.

For running I'd recommend something like sporta pro. Something cheap with a tight fit. Earbuds suck and won't stay in my ears, KSC75 don't have a good enough fit for me. The PMX-100 I had worked fine though, but I prefer the KOSS sound sig.

May 1, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 14
I have used my Westone ES2s in the gym extensively for the last couple of years. Never had an issue with sweat damaging them etc. (knock on wood). I think the sweat issue is a bigger deal if you were to keep pulling them in and out while you were running thus risking getting moisture into the ear canal where it could get into the IEM sound tube itself.

Microphonics would likely be your biggest issue.

I will say this, even at the gym, wearing custome IEMs takes some getting used to. You can't hear anything but the music when you have a good fitting pair. Sounds like a good idea, however you have to get used to people trying to talk to you, etc.

Running with a custom IEM has serious cautions associated with it. If you can't hear a car then you need to be on hyper alert about all your motions, being extra cautious, etc. That being said, you're not going to find a better sound.

The ES2s are what keep me going back to the gym every morning.
Enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vo328, if there would be a car i'd notice the light from the headlights immediately if lets say it was in back of me and i didn't "hear" it coming.. and i see no other reason why i'd need my hearing during my late night run

flamerz, till this day i haven't experienced microphonics with my ES2's..

basically, what i'm concerned about is:
1) will the ES2's become uncomfortable to run with for such a long period? (i would think not since they're 10x more comfortable than earbuds or any other pair of buds i've ever tried)
2) do i have a chance of damaging them since i'll probably be sweating a lot? (if there's even a slight chance of this, then there's no way am i running with them)
3) the cord may be too long if i'm going to use an armband for my player (but i guess it shouldn't be that much of an issue since i'll probably find a way to tuck it in somewhere)

May 1, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 14
I have UM2s w/56 tips, and use them every time I mow the lawn for hearing protection/boredom reduction. It gets into the 90s and 100s here all the time and I sweat A LOT. Your ear canal doesn't sweat, so as long as you towel off before you pop them out, there should be no problem. Just think how sweaty those on stage performers get when they're rockin' out under the lights.

BTW, I use the headlight awareness system when walking my dog on the street. We don't have sidewalks in my neighborhood, so I don't use IEMs during the day on the street.

May 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #11 of 14
I am concerned about having all sound cut off, not being able to hear others, certainly when running, but even when doing a general workout at the gym. I've been using Crossroads Mylars which are not quite as isolating as my UM2's, and also they pop in and out easily for conversation. So the Mylars seem to be a nice sweet spot for the gym: refined enough to enjoy, somewhat isolating, but not too isolating. And good looking too :)

I do have a pair of UM1's on the way that I plan to experiment with using the smallest Shure black foamy, perhaps not as isolating as the medium I used with my UM2's (and the UM1 seem much lighter, easier to maneuver in and out....). We shall see. I may end up sticking with the Mylar for the gym.

But overall I tend to worry that folks are too willing to block off all sound in too many uncontrolled circumstances....

Art

May 1, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 14
And as for a small workout player, I used to use a nano with a thin rubber or silicon cover, and it worked great, but I experimented with latest generation Shuffle and LOVE it. It weighs nothing and clips on to shirt. I thought I'd miss having a screen but turns out that screen is awkward to use when exercising anyway. Sound of 2nd generation Shuffle is a little bit thin so use of a slightly bass-heavy earphone is not a bad idea.
Art

May 1, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 14
I maybe crazy but I'm starting to believe more and more that microphonics is also a matter of anatomy. Some of our customers can hear the gravels when walking to a level that bothers them. Some cannot, myself included. Now, of course I can't eat peanuts without having a thunderstorm in my head
smily_headphones1.gif
Etys always collected a lot of noise from wind and cables rubbing against the shirt. I don't get that with Shure, UE and Westone. I also noticed that microphonics will depend on what exactly is touching your body. Depending on different models, some will be more prone to transfer noise when the cables are rubbing against your shirt (like the Etys) while others will show that problem when the earbuds are touching. As far as avoiding hazardous situations, once you put the earphones in you have to switch to a different mindset. You can still enjoy but your eyes are everything you have in those situations. You just need to "learn" not to count on your hearing. It's all a matter of habit.

May 2, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 14
thanks for all your replies.

i'm going to give my ES2's a try and run with them.. too bad i may not be able to tonight since i'm experiencing "shin splints"... grrr

as for the microphonics, i'd think tucking the cable someplace where it doesn't get tossed around as much would do the trick?

as for the player.. i def wouldn't want the shuffle (although it's SQ is phenomenal).. nano i'd consider... right now i really like the the sony NW-S205F.. checked it out in circuit city today... it's basically weightless.. sturdy and water resistant... always been a fan of sony's sound signature... and i'm already used to using their crippled sonicstage software.. which i admit is 10x better now.. may even prefer it over itunes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back