Running Tips?
Jul 29, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #16 of 61
My experience is that if you want to do something specifically, you do that thing in excess instead of your normal routine. This only works if you already have a solid base. Say you go on 4 moderately long jogs per week now, but want to make those runs faster; then, for one or two of those days, instead of your usual jog, sprint until you are tired, walk until you have recovered, sprint again, etc, but don't expect to cover the same amount of distance. Likewise, if you want to be able to handle hills more easily on your routine jog, replace a normal workout with sprinting up a steep hill, walking down, recovering, sprinting up, etc. If you want distance, jog slower.

If you want to enjoy yourself ... well, that's the hard part. For me, enjoying exercise is about getting my mind out of the way, not thinking, just enjoying the movements and exertions. Training to become better is rarely enjoyable, in my experience. Enjoy the challenge, if that's your thing; that's my thing.

But I've also found that everyone has a different theory, because everyone has a different body and it is a rare theory indeed that applies to most people in sports.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Oh crap excellent point...bandaids over the nips can be a savior on those hot days
tongue.gif

Not if you have some body hair growing around that area... OUCHIES...

Jul 31, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
breathe through your nose

Ah, almost forgot. Very important when youw ant to keep your stamina going longer.

Breath in with your nose; breath out with your mouth.

Jul 31, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #20 of 61
great suggestions, I've taken all of them and applied them to my run today. I did a 10 mile run, and boy was I tired.

I noticed a thing today, and wondering if you could diagnose me please .
smily_headphones1.gif

1. I was feeling some sharp pain in my gut, mid section of my body today. I usually dont get this, but for some reason today I was feeling it. I'm thinking its either I'm not getting enough oxygen or I ate too of big of a meal before I ran. (sorry if this pain description is vague, maybe someone might know)

thanks

Jul 31, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/227.shtml

It's probably the stitch...

Stitch could be caused by spasm of your diaphragm or trapped gas in your colon. Avoid eating solid meal before exercise might help to ease this. However, this could also by your body shunting the blood from your digestive system to cause some 'ischemic' type of pain. This pain could be worse if you are a bit dehydrated.

Sep 17, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #24 of 61
I was gonna reply and give advice in this thread but instead learned something new. I love running but it really must be one of the most masochistic sports ever. Glad to see there are other runners out there, even though, for the record, I would be the most Boring Running Buddy Ever. I guess my only suggestion would be to get some comfortable clothes. I bought good shoes and lots shirts made from that ultra-lite quick-dry stuff. I really like it. I run in soccer shorts, which probably breaks some type of taboo, but I'm crazy that way. My running habits are quite strange be the normal standards, but don't let your imagination get away on you, it's all just running. One my joints give out I'll take up long distance swimming.

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
Any suggestions and tips on what to eat before a race or run? What to eat that day or the night before a race? Thanks

I always ate steak or spaghetti the nights before my races. The day of, I just ate wheat bagels and bananas with a 50/50 mix of water and gatorade.

Also, you shouldn't restrict yourself to breathing through the nose/mouth during inhale and exhale. Just inhale/exhale through both and try to breath from your stomach, not your chest. You'll get more air in that way.

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #26 of 61
Keep hydrated. Keepy hydrated. Keep hydrated. I can't stress that enough.

Also, if vary up your routine by running on different terrain. This helps to condition you for various surfaces. I highly recommend running up a mountain if you have one nearby. If not, just find some place that's not conventional. Lotta people stick to roads mostly, which is really kind of sad. I happen to live near Stone Mountain Park. It's a bit more technical running up a side of a mountain than just running on flat ground. You can't go as fast and your balance is key.

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #27 of 61
I say sprinting is something you should look into. I think LeChuck would agree with me on that one :p

I've gone through the whole shin splints/microtears, hamstring microtears, pinched nerves, and lower back problems, enough to last anyone an entire life. The kicker is I'm 19 and I suck hahahaha. Personally though I do it because I love it and I love the sport, sprinting keeps you in good shape and in makes you jacked
wink.gif
In grade 10 I was 6' tall and 125lbs. Currently I am the same height but I am 170lbs with less body fat then I had then.

It's something you either can or can't do though. But from what I can tell you your best option is to try and not think too hard about everyhting. Make a plan for yourself well ahead of time, and make a routine for yourself to do. Go through the motions so by the time you run you shouldn't have to think about keeping relaxed or arms ar 90 degrees, it will just come naturally hopefully.

Also I would suggest that you, if you can that is, use running flats like the Saucony Fastwich or even somehting as minimal as the Puma H-Street. Barefoot running is probably the best route to go for strengthening the legs as well. Enjoy the running!

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234

Any tips you have?

The only time I will run is if someone is chasing me with a gun. My tip is "conserve your energy, take the car"

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #29 of 61
My physical therapist told me to avoid running at all costs. It's unnatural, it's hard on the body, all that great stuff. He said to swim.

And you'll probably disregard all that so here are some tips:

1) Don't drink too much water. A study was done and almost nobody has died of dehydration during a marathon in the US in the past decades but a few dozen have died by excessively diluting their blood by drinking too much water. Your muscles don't get enough oxygen, wastes aren't carried away well enough, your brain gets choked for air, you get the picture.

2) Professionals practise barefoot. Maybe that's not for you, so get the Nike Free. If that's not for you, run barefoot. You use more muscles, and the stronger your foot gets, the less prone you are to foot-related injuries.

3) Your stride should go in a certain order. When you bring your back leg forward to start a new stride, start with raising the toes, the foot, the bottom half of your leg (whatever it's called), then the top half of your leg. I don't get why, but that's what the therapist said.

4) Hate your body. Once you like the way it looks, you just lost the war.

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

2) Professionals practise barefoot. Maybe that's not for you, so get the Nike Free. If that's not for you, run barefoot. You use more muscles, and the stronger your foot gets, the less prone you are to foot-related injuries.

No.. just NO. Barefoot means easy blisters, bunions, corns and what-ever foot related injuries. It also means that your legs are taking the whole impact of your run (marathoners wear shoes for a reason). Running barefoot outside also poses GREAT risk of stepping on sharp objects. So NO.

I discovered a tip for running recently, breathing, as dumb as it sounds, most people don't breathe right. They breathe with their upper chest, not diaphragm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back