Running Tips?
Jul 29, 2006 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I wanted to know if there were any other runners here with some running tips? I've been trying to last longer, run faster, and enjoy running more. I usually do a lot of trail/road/uphilll running.

i.e.
1. relaxing fingers when running helps
2. relaxing the neck
3. Dont let your arms cross your body when running

Any tips you have?
Thanks

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 61
Always run with appropriate and supportive footwear! If you have any discomfort or pain, consult a health professional.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Always run with appropriate and supportive footwear! If you have any discomfort or pain, consult a health professional.

Those Dr.schoel or whatever pads for your shoes might help but they're kinda expensive.

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #7 of 61
If your going to do be doing a lot of running, I would think seeing a padiatrist regardless of if you have foot problems or not would be a smart idea, as like with any item you buy, you will be putting a LOT of wear on your shoes / feet (where as with an item like a cd player you probably won't want the walmart special even if you don't care about sound quality because your going to be putting so much use into it and want something reliable.)

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge

i strongly second that.

be extremely cautious of your knees (i blasted my left knee for life-- i was so determined to finish my first marathon that i didn't care if i hurt myself-- very foolish and a have a healthy chunk of scare tissue built up there now).

drink plenty of water/ stayed hydrated

your body is remarkeably intelligent and will let you know when it needs you to take a break and to stop running (usually by signaling pain or by signs of dehydration).... the problem is, when your mind and determination cross paths stupidity might overcome any common sense (at least for me)
blink.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvcans
your body is remarkeably intelligent and will let you know when it needs you to take a break and to stop running (usually by signaling pain or by signs of dehydration).... the problem is, when your mind and determination cross paths stupidity might overcome any common sense (at least for me)
blink.gif

this is really good advice. if you're feeling any pain, back off and walk for a bit or just run slower. i ignored my shin splints and they got worse and worse until they even hurt when i was walking. it took forever for them to get better.

another piece of advice is to get good running shoes for the conditions that you're running in. go to your local running shop and have your gait checked out. they will also suggest a good shoe for the surface that you're running on. i recently had this done at road runner sports near my house and they suggested a pair of asic kayano. i'm really glad i went to see them as these shoes are so comfortable.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
Hi I wanted to know if there were any other runners here with some running tips? I've been trying to last longer, run faster, and enjoy running more. I usually do a lot of trail/road/uphilll running.

i.e.
1. relaxing fingers when running helps
2. relaxing the neck
3. Dont let your arms cross your body when running

Any tips you have?
Thanks

I used to run cross country and track for 10 years, including 4 at a D1 college where competition was just about at the national level. The first two are more personal than anything, but I'm not sure what relaxing the neck means. You don't want your head flopping all over the place, just keep it straight and don't move it around. Also, drive your wrists to your hips, keep your elbows at a 90 degree angle, and do not drive with your shoulders. That means you shouldn't look like you're "pulling rope". To practice this motion, stand if front of a mirror with some 5lb plates or dumbbells and simulate the running motion with your upper body.

When I ran, I developed a mental checklist that I would go through. I'd start at my head and make sure it was straight. Ok, next is the shoulders, keep them straight, don't move. Drive up with my elbows, and don't pull rope. Keep the breathing steady, and eyes up. Drive my knees up, be fluid and don't bounce. Then, I'd start it all over! It tends to take your mind off the pain too, which is a bonus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14
run using your whole foot, not just the backs or balls

I'm not sure what this means, but when you run, you should generally be planting on your midfoot. You should develop a wear pattern on your shoes that starts on your outside heel and continues to run towards your big toe. However, this boils down to ones natural mechanics, and you can't do much to change this.

Like others suggested, definately get a good pair of shoes from a specialized running store. They'll be able to analyize your stride and will put you in the best shoes. You can even go as far as buying shoes in pairs of two, and switching them every day. This will allow them to last longer and could potentially ward off injuries.

Touching on the shoe topic again, if you have a tendancy to over-pronate or over-supinate, then getting custom made molded inserts for your shoes could be a life saver. I saw a teammate go through 3 stress fractures, including one in his femur, all because he needed some extra support from some inserts.

Breathing can be tricky for many people, since it's something you never think about. However, I found that breathing through just your nose or just your mouth is a bad idea. Breath through both! That's the only way to get the most amount of oxygen into your blood. Also, there are some books that will tell you to inhale for X amount of strides and exhale for another X amount. BS I say. Just keep your breathing controlled and steady, and do not let it become erratic or shallow and you'll be fine.

Did I miss anything?

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 61
Keeps shoulders straight, that is not to collapse the lungs.

don't overwork your body. Some days are better than others, don't expect to acheive your best record on every run.

And finally, and oddly, don't wear clothings that causes nipple burn.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
And finally, and oddly, don't wear clothings that causes nipple burn.

Oh crap excellent point...bandaids over the nips can be a savior on those hot days
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 61
If you are just starting out, I would concentrate more on running longer, rather than faster. As you run longer and get more experienced, the speed should come naturally. Also, do not add more than 10% more milage in a given week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back