Running shoes for Flatfoot people?
Aug 2, 2006 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
Well my current pair are pretty much beaten out. Their a pair of addias a3. I'm now looking for some more serious running shoes. Sorry to be picky but, I think I'm only going to go with the brands muzinos, asics, new Balance, or brooks.

I'm flatfoot and "I walk outwards?" (someone diagonosed me on that)
Just shoot me some recommendations. There's a lot out there so I'm just trying to narrow them down and go to a store and test them out.

thanks

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234
Well my current pair are pretty much beaten out. Their a pair of addias a3. I'm now looking for some more serious running shoes. Sorry to be picky but, I think I'm only going to go with the brands muzinos, asics, new Balance, or brooks.

I'm flatfoot and "I walk outwards?" (someone diagonosed me on that)
Just shoot me some recommendations. There's a lot out there so I'm just trying to narrow them down and go to a store and test them out.

thanks

I've tried different shoes from the manufacturers you listed above, unfortunately none of them really did it for me. When I used to run x-country, the only pair that kept me from getting shin-splints, were the Saucony Grid Hurricanes. Excelllent motion control for overpronators. They're a bit stiff, and don't offer much in the way of cushioning, but then again no motion control shoe does. At $120, they're a bit steep for running shoes, but some Mizunos run up to $150 or more so the price really isn't that bad.

Aug 2, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 11
new balance offers width variations. pretty much everyone in my family has a pair.

and most pairs are made of cloth and plastic so you can throw them in the wash when they get dirty

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 11
Go to a good running shoe shop and get fitted. Various manufacturers make shoes for what you are describing. You need to try them to know what will work right. You need someone that knows how to fit running shoes.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 11
i have flat feet, and even during my Track days i had zero issues with the nice wide New Balance sneaks. Narrow Nike shoes made me scream in pain. Saucony had that stupid side pad that my flat feet hated.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i have flat feet, and even during my Track days i had zero issues with the nice wide New Balance sneaks. Narrow Nike shoes made me scream in pain. Saucony had that stupid side pad that my flat feet hated.

Side pad?

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Side pad?

yep, like a crappy attempt at an arch support. always took that thing out.

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
yep, like a crappy attempt at an arch support. always took that thing out.

Oh you mean the inserts? I yank those cheap things out too, I have to use custom molded arch supports.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Go to a good running shoe shop and get fitted. Various manufacturers make shoes for what you are describing. You need to try them to know what will work right. You need someone that knows how to fit running shoes.

Seconded.

Since you're in San Jose, why not go to Running Revolution to get fitted. It's in downtown Campbell, and it's run by 3 very friendly runners. The website is www.runningrevolution.com. I just got a new pair fitted 2 weeks ago at the shop. They don't just look at your foot anatomy; they also take you gait into account when they fit you.

Happy running.

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 11
Go to shoe shop to have them properly fitted since having a wrongly supported shoes is just about as bad as running bare feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back