Running out to the store; which of these albums?
Feb 28, 2006 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Literally running out in an hour or so to pick up some cds before I go on vacation this weekend.

I dont have alot of money, so I can only grab 2 albums.

Id like one pick from the following two lists/genres:

Trip-Hop:
Lamb-Lamb, Fear of Fours or another album?
Thievery Corp.-Richest Man, Mirror Conspiracy
Gus Gus-Polydistortion
Laika-Sounds of the Satellites
(I love Massive Attack and Portishead; want something chill, bassy, female singer)

Rock:
10 Years
Cave In
Dredg-Leitmotif
(here, I just want something solid from start to end)

As much as I respect everyones recommendations, Id like if you could pick only from these two lists.
Thanx!

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Literally running out in an hour or so to pick up some cds before I go on vacation this weekend.

I dont have alot of money, so I can only grab 2 albums.

Id like one pick from the following two lists/genres:

Trip-Hop:
Lamb-Lamb, Fear of Fours or another album?
Thievery Corp.-Richest Man, Mirror Conspiracy
Gus Gus-Polydistortion
Laika-Sounds of the Satellites
(I love Massive Attack and Portishead; want something chill, bassy, female singer)

Rock:
10 Years
Cave In
Dredg-Leitmotif
(here, I just want something solid from start to end)

As much as I respect everyones recommendations, Id like if you could pick only from these two lists.
Thanx!

My Votes (and Davey would agree):

Definately get Laika SOUNDS OF THE SATELLITES and Cave In's JUPITER.

Both are very hearty recs from me. Two of my favorite albums ever.

Let us know what you think! That Laika is just amazing, I don't think they've topped it since.

-jar

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Rock:
Dredg-Leitmotif

Their greatest album by a mile, IMO.

You'd most likely enjoy Cave In's Jupiter as well, but I'd still grab Leitmotif. It's
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #4 of 10
'Richest man in babylon'

I will leave room for other's recommendations but:

Side note:
I went though one of the trip hop lists in the forums here and added a few albums to my collection.

I see Lamb on your list...I was a bit disapointed with this album...only becuase I agree with someone who said that the lyrics were a bit of an uninspired effort.

Another trip-hop album I picked up at the same time and thought was pretty good is (and would recommend this before you check out lamb):
Esthero - Breath from Another

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Looks like im buying more than two albums...
icon10.gif

been hearing so many good things about Laika-cant ignore it anymore.

ASMOX-I love El Cielo, so this ones a no brainer for me, and I guess ill grab Cavi In's Jupiter as well, been hearing killer reviews.

Gotta say im interested in hearing what 10 Years is all about...

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

ASMOX-I love El Cielo, so this ones a no brainer for me,

Just a note - Leitmotif has little in common with El Cielo. It has much more of a metallic edge, and doesn't work so well on a song level.. it's an "album" album, if you know what I mean.. it just flows. Gavin's voice is also a far cry from what you hear on El Cielo.. it's very distant and sounds almost strained. The production in general is a bit low-budget.. but that's a minor criticism.

Musically, Leitmotif has a sense of dynamics and aural visuals that El Cielo just never really managed to achieve. It's just beautiful.. but different.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 10
If you're into Trip Hop like Portishead, it might really be worth your time to track down UA's earlier efforts before she went avant garde, try finding her album "Turbo" it's a really awesome album.

Catch you later,
Id

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 10
thievery corporation is good however if you want female vocals look else where because they only have a few female vocals here and there sprinkled into their music (nothing full throttle), go with esthero (only the "breath from another" album is the one you should consider because her other album and ep is not trip hop and fit into other genres/categories, lamb is ok but too inconsistent imo ("what sound" is another album title for lamb) hmmm from your list i think i would go with Laika if you are strict about us recommending something from there

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 10
Well, a bit late, but: yeah, you can't go wrong with Laika, but I love Lamb. Just skip the first album -- for completists only. (Even I don't have that one yet.)

And yeah, Dredg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back