Running out to get some new music now! Porcupine Tree?
Dec 8, 2005 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Dont have any...what kinda music is it? (prog?)
My tastes: TOOL, The Mars Volta, Floyd, Ministry, NIN...
Ive heard great things, what album should I get??

EDIT:Throw me a killer Industrial Pick as well...should i pick up PIG?

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 23
Porcupine Tree is Tool meets Radiohead, with a dash of Opeth-like dynamic shifts. They are not really prog, except in the sense that the three bands I mentioned are prog.

I've only heard PT's two most recent albums, In Absentia and Deadwing, and I like them both.

Dec 8, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 23
The Sky Moves Sideways and Signify remind me of Floyd.

I would definitely consider them prog

Dec 8, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 23
I'd suggest picking up Deadwing and In Absentia first. If you dig those pick up Signify and the double live album Coma Divine.

I strongly recommend picking up Blackfield's debut album "Blackfield". It's my favorite of Steven Wilson's non-Porcupine Tree projects. I'd say that album is as good, if not better than Deadwing and In Absentia. I am completely addicted to this album, not a bad track on the album. "Hello" is probably my all time favorite song.

Beware, you will get hooked and end up owning the entire Porcupine Tree discography.

Dec 9, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 23
I'm actually right in the middle of my first early-discovery (holy crap I think they're awesome) phase. Listening to "In Absentia" is what started it for me. Then I listened to "Deadwing" which is nice (but needs more listenings) and right now I'm listening to "Coma Divine" which I think is superb. I like Pink Floyd and Tool and a lot of other prog/art rock too so I think there's a good chance you may really enjoy them, Kwitel.

Dec 9, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_the_gamer
I'm actually right in the middle of my first early-discovery (holy crap I think they're awesome) phase. Listening to "In Absentia" is what started it for me. Then I listened to "Deadwing" which is nice (but needs more listenings) and right now I'm listening to "Coma Divine" which I think is superb. I like Pink Floyd and Tool and a lot of other prog/art rock too so I think there's a good chance you may really enjoy them, Kwitel.

Well, I ended up getting the following:
1)Porcupine Tree-"in absentia"-was expecting a more prog sound, but its good nonetheless.
2)Korn-"see you on the other side"-not impressed.
3)The Mars Volta-"frances the Mute"-I love these guys...
4)Omid-"Monolith"-sick, instrumental hip-hop (blip-hop)

Thanx for the help ya'll.

Dec 9, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 23
If you are interested in Porcupine Tree, In Absentia is your album.
Blackest Eyes, Trains and The Sound Of Muzak are great tracks.

They are relatively hard, with brief Floydesque instrumentals.
They also delve into new-age techniques, apparent in their lyrics.

Scott

Dec 9, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 23
My favorite the past few weeks has been their live album, Warszawa. Check it out, it's one of the best live recordings I've ever heard...

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 23
If you enjoy In Absentia, then you must pick up their latest album "Deadwing". I think it's more cohesive than In Absentia, a slightly better album.

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Spark
If you enjoy In Absentia, then you must pick up their latest album "Deadwing". I think it's more cohesive than In Absentia, a slightly better album.

i prefered In Absentia by a longshot.. Harrison is a subtle beast on there. plus it just has some unbeatable tracks - .3, Gravity Eyelids, Heartattack in a Layby, Strip the Soul.. ugh, nothing on Deadwing compares, IMO.. with the possible exception of Mellotron Scratch, which is just unbelievable from about 5:00 onward
580smile.gif

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
i prefered In Absentia by a longshot.. Harrison is a subtle beast on there. plus it just has some unbeatable tracks - .3, Gravity Eyelids, Heartattack in a Layby, Strip the Soul.. ugh, nothing on Deadwing compares, IMO.. with the possible exception of Mellotron Scratch, which is just unbelievable from about 5:00 onward
580smile.gif

ASMOX,
How many full length albums do they have and how long have they been around for?
If I like them, what else would you recommend?
(lets try and keep the amount of recommendations under 20
biggrin.gif
, the last time I asked you this question i had to print out the thread...)
Just to give you an idea-I cant get enough of The Mars Volta and Dredg. Im already starting to feel In Absentia...
Others have told me to get Muse and Spocks' Beard?
I love good Prog, but cant stand cheesy Metal riffs, ie. Dream Theater (my apologies DT fans).
I dont think ive ever heard a King Crimson song in my life...never picked em up in fear that it would all sound too old school. I guess thats a silly comment considering that I adore both Zep and Floyd...

Dec 9, 2005 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 23
Porcupine Tree have been around since the early 1990's. It started as Steven Wilson's homespun prog rock project, and sort of a joke. Early cassette recordings were eventually compiled on the first Porcupine Tree album "On The Sunday Of Life".

Since you're enjoying In Absentia, Deadwing is the next logical step. Two of their best albums "Stupid Dream" and "Lightbulb Sun" are currently out of print, and going for insane money on ebay. Both albums are due to be reissued in 2006, "Stupid Dream" should come out first, hopefully in January.

More information here: http://www.porcupinetree.com/
To see the trailer for the Deadwing album, follow this link and scroll to the bottom: http://www.porcupinetree.com/multimedia.music.cfm

Steven Wilson's side project (one of many) "Blackfield" is essential listening. One of my all time favorite albums, every song is killer.
Their official website here: http://www.blackfield.org/

Enjoy!

Dec 9, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
ASMOX,
How many full length albums do they have and how long have they been around for?
If I like them, what else would you recommend?
(lets try and keep the amount of recommendations under 20
biggrin.gif
, the last time I asked you this question i had to print out the thread...)
Just to give you an idea-I cant get enough of The Mars Volta and Dredg. Im already starting to feel In Absentia...
Others have told me to get Muse and Spocks' Beard?
I love good Prog, but cant stand cheesy Metal riffs, ie. Dream Theater (my apologies DT fans).
I dont think ive ever heard a King Crimson song in my life...never picked em up in fear that it would all sound too old school. I guess thats a silly comment considering that I adore both Zep and Floyd...

lol, sorry about the naming sprees.. i get carried away sometimes
580smile.gif

as mentioned above, they've been around since the early 90's.. and have quite a few full-length albums. In Absentia to the present has been with drummer Gavin Harrison, who is quite a bit more technical, precise, and versatile (basically a drummer's drummer).. yet not quite as artsy as former drummer Chris Maitland. as a result, the new stuff has more edge, and the old stuff is more spacey, ambient, and atmospheric. if you love Floyd, you should get right into everything pre-In Absentia.

as also mentioned above, you might check out Wilson's band Blackfield.. which is pretty good.

also look into Chris Maitland's band Kino, which also features members of Arena and Marillion (figured you might be into those). Kino borders on something i'd call prog-pop.. i dunno, they're a good band.

absolutely check out Riverside. they are a Polish band along the same lines as Porcupine Tree.. only i personally think that they are considerably better. imagine PT mixed in with the non-aggressive side of Opeth, add in Floyd's moody atmospheres, mid-career Depeche Mode stylings, and King Crimson-like texturing.. and you have a recipe for one of the better progressive bands out there today.

speaking of King Crimson.. i don't know what you're waiting for, lol. it shouldn't even sound that old school. they are the embodiment of prog rock, and they will probably sound crazy and weird even today
580smile.gif

Spock's Beard might be worth checking out, but i personally don't like them.. nor any project that involves Neal Morse. he's far too boring and uninvolving for my tastes. if you like Spock's Beard though, don't forget to also check out Transatlantic.

Glass Hammer could make its way into your list. they are a very abstract, very art-rockish and prog-rockish, new age group. worth looking into.

you could check out The Flower Kings, who are sort of like an awesome modernized version of Genesis and Yes. i love them.

if you dig TMV and Dredg, Muse is a worthy recommendation. in this area, you may also want to check out The Mayan Factor, The Apex Theory, Don Caballero, and you might also enjoy pre-Morning View Incubus.

Dec 9, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel

I'm with you regarding cheesy metal riffs. I listen to Dream Theater some and I'm amazed by the playing but I have a hard time getting past the metal veneer.

Crimson has gone through several iterations and the sound changed significantly with each version of the band. Only the very early Crimson sounds "old school" to me and even that in a good way. I'm listening to a live version of "21st Century Schizoid Man" right now. You can hear the echoes of this era Crimson in almost every prog band that has come after. But amazingly the music still doesn't sound stale or cliched.

The one constant in the Crimson lineup has been guitarist Robert Fripp. Fripp is known for densely layered guitar loops providing atmospheric, harmonically rich sounds - definitely not metal riffs. Since the early eighties Crimson's other guitarist has been Adrian Belew. Belew has his own unique style which includes wrestling unique sounds out of his guitar, often described as animal noises. Elephants being abducted by aliens? Yes. Cliched Metal Riffs? No. Belew's latest solo work includes Tool's Danny Carey on drums, btw.

If you want to explore the origin of Prog, get Crimson's "Court of the Crimson King." If you want something newer, I think "Discipline" from 1981 is more accessible than the newer Crimson and is the beginning of Fripp and Belew's work together. (And includes Tony Levin on bass and Bill Bruford on drums.) That lineup also released "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair". The next Crimson incarnation added Trey Gunn on Stick and Pat Mastelotto on drums to form a "double trio". The double trio format produces some amazingly dense, powerful music. It's phenomonal, but takes some time to digest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back