Running & Music
Apr 3, 2003 at 3:31 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ((((Hunter))))
Is the sound on nomad IIc nice or not? is MuVo better?

I have a Nomad II, not the IIc.

The sound on the radio is really, really, really BAD. I can't believe they put such a lousy tuner in this unit. It might as well not have a tuner.

As far as the mp3's on it. It's average at best. I don't like the players that use Smartmedia since you can't get any cards larger than 128mb. Get something that uses Compact Flash. The player will be bigger but available memory is much better.

Apr 3, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #18 of 22
I know the iPods have been talked about for their skipping/freezing, but I have never had that problem. Course I'm jogging, not running, and only for a few miles.

If I can make one suggestion before you buy another player-

Most CD's, MD's, or mp3 players have a buffer. That buffer keeps it from skipping (and protentially freezing). Certainly skipping can occur for other reasons (the hard drive bouncing around inside the iPod. etc.), but for a second lets talk about that. I use an old spandex Sony MD waist belt (no idea what the model is). The iPod is a little snug in it but when I wear it the iPod ends up around the small of my back.

I suspect keeping the ipod there decreases the amount of horizontal and rotational movement and probably the vertical bouncing (impacted by other causes like leg muscles, etc.), though it certainly won't help with the fact that your body moves up and down when impacting with each step.

Hey, there's a good chance this will have absolutely no effect on your problem, but it's worth checking out before spending more cash.

Ric

Oops, see this started a long time ago. Maybe it's too late.

Apr 3, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #19 of 22
blessingx, what size iPod do you use? And how fast do you run? I've only taken my iPod (20GB) running once, but it froze often, even though I was holding it in my hand, which should be the place where it absorbs the least impact. ...

kerely

Apr 3, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
blessingx, what size iPod do you use? And how fast do you run? I've only taken my iPod (20GB) running once, but it froze often, even though I was holding it in my hand, which should be the place where it absorbs the least impact. ...

kerely

5 gigger. As for speed I'm not really sure. I'm not doing it very formally. I'm usually passing people I term jogging. There are runners who pass me. Yeah, as you can tell it's an objective rating system. If I had to guess, I'd say around a 10 minute mile. Certainly not fast.

Why I brought this up was I used to have an original Creative Nomad Jukebox (which has a much smaller buffer than the iPod). When I ordered it, Cambridge was having several discontinued accessories. I bought too many. Some hung from your side like a purse, one was a belt, another a fanny pack, etc. Even walking quickly caused problems in some positions and not in others. My iPod hasn't had any issues. Well, that's not entirely true, there was the whole battery thing, but that's been fixed.

I guess a good test would be when the skips/freezes occur. iPods 32 megs of buffer should hold from up around 20 minutes. If you give it a minute to fill, then run and the problems start after that, it may be the buffer. If before, probably not.

Ric

Apr 4, 2003 at 8:38 AM Post #21 of 22
I too have the 128 MB MuVo. Perfect for running. Tiny. No software to hassle with. Sounds great with MX400 earbuds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:35 AM Post #22 of 22
The NEX IIe and Pontis 600 are small mp3 players that do Compact Flash 1/II. CF cards are up to 1gb for $200, so for less than $300 you can have a high capacity player with no moving parts. perfect for running or jumping on trampelines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back