Running & Music
Dec 31, 2002 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ironcow13

New Head-Fier
Anyone have any advice on what to get if I want to run and listen to music? I just got an ipod because its very light and small so it clips to my shorts. Unfortunately it just started freezing today and I have learned it is a common problem. I am devastated to say the least since we had a perfect relationship until now. Oh well! So I need something that won't skip and is small. Are there any MP3 Cd players that will not skip? My older CD player skips really easily even with its shock protection but maybe the technology has inproved in these last 5 years. I would love an MP3 player but the smart card ones only hold like 150 mb which is pathetic. I wish apple would make an ipod that won't freeze but I need something until then. Thanks

Dec 31, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 22
I'm afraid that I've been where you are right now. I have a 5 Gig Ipod and bought it specifically for running. While it worked most of the time, it did have a tendency to freeze and skip tracks from time to time. I didn't want to get a CD player because of the size and weight (why I got the Ipod in the first place.)

I run with a Nomad IIC with an additional 128mb smart card and 128 internal memory. This give me about 3 to 4 hours of music, that doesn't skip at all. The player is very small and fits into the Ipod case I purchased. The pouch in the front for the earphones hold the mini v3 amp very well. My old bones have yet to reach the end of music before they give out!

I still use the Ipod as well as a Nomad Jukebox3 for regular listening back and forth to work and at work. The Nomad II is dedicated solely to running. Just load your running music the night before and you're ready to go.

Dec 31, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 22
I second the recommendation to get an MP3 player, strongly.

When things have moving parts, why risk damage - especially something as nice as the iPod. Get a cheap MP3 player........load it up with some 160K mp3s, get some decent portable phones.......and run hard
smily_headphones1.gif

I run, too, but I personally don't like music while I'm at it. Sweat always gets into the headphones and does strange things, plus, I can never hear any bass, and the thudding of my feet always interrupts the beat of the music...oh well.....

Jan 3, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 22
I went through the same thing about a year ago.

Had a PCDP and it skips if you wear it in a waist pack. It wouldn't skip if you held it in your hand, but I prefer to wear it on my waist.

Traded the PCDP to a friend for his mp3 player - Nomad IIc and found it a pain to load music onto it all the time. Great if you like listening to the same music all the time.

Finally got myself a portable MD and it's by far the best solution for me. I just love the editing features. Make a disc for running, don't like a song or two and just delete them. Rearrange the order, plus it's nice and light. I highly recommend MD for anyone who wants music while they exercise.

Jan 5, 2003 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 22
I too tried running with my 20 GB iPod, and was simultaneously disappointed that it froze and worried that the shock was hurting the hard drive.

I bought a Creative MuVo 128 meg solid state player. It is extraordinarily small, and it sounds very good. Mine burns through batteries, but I just bought a couple of rechargeable AAA's and pop a fresh one in before each workout.

It is so small you can put it in the key pouch in a pair of running shorts. It holds a couple hours of music.

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 22
I would agree cassette is inexpensive and skip proof, but it's not small. I think it's bulky, and bounces up and down on your waist when you jog.

An MD is light enough that the bouncing up and down doesn't bother me at all, unlike a cassette. Of course mp3 players are the smallest and lightest.

Cassettes will also take a really long time to compile if you like mixed tapes, even with high speed dubbing. Both mp3 and MD have the advantage that you can transfer music faster than real time. Plus once you make a cassette, it's not easily edited. With MD and mp3 you can delete whichever songs you want, reorder, etc..... Plus MD gives you scale factor edit which allows you to equalize volume differences.

Cassette is the cheapest alternative, but if you could afford an iPod, I'm guessing cost is a secondary, not primary factor.

Jan 7, 2003 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 22
Dude, I feel your pain. I bought a PJB100 20 gig MP3 player about a year and a half ago. I jogged with it frequently and it NEVER skipped or locked up.

The FIRST time I went out with the iPod it froze up about 10 minutes into the jog. Then I got on www.ipodlounge.com and discovered that they are notorious for that.

In case your'e interested, I've got the PJB up for sale. <<wink>>
It's bigger than the iPod, but when you stick it in a pouch around your waist, you don't really have the sensation that you're jogging / running with something big.

Jan 12, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 22
Coolvj is right on - why run with a unit that has moving parts and risk things, use an MP3 instead. I use a Creative MUVO -128Mb in conjunction with a SPORTAPRO, and the combination is light and sounds good, making the runs enjoyable.

Enjoy,
W

Jan 12, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 22
...the fixup.net radios sound amazing. They will handily kill, in terms of sheer musicality, any $150 MP3 player. I own the SRF-M35

http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm

and I have heard (at mikeg's place) the manually tuned, incredibly tiny (far smaller than my already moderately small radio) SRF-S84. They are gorgeous-sounding and if you use efficient cans, they *really* don't need an amp. My model is already too loud with my portable cans.

- Matt

Jan 12, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 22
Matt,

Has your SRF M-35 been modified or is it out of the box? I am wondering what the fidelity is like unmodified

Jan 12, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 22
...definitely modified! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Fixup.net says, though, that of all the Sony radios, the M35 sounds the best "out of the box." Check out his site for more.

Anyhow, after mods, it has literally changed my perceptions of what is possible with FM radio. I mean, it doesn't stand up to, say, an SACD home big rig, but it is damned GREAT for the price. You really get your $50 worth and it's powerful enough to drive, say, Ety 4P's without an amp (I wouldn't use an amp, anyways, as it has no line out).

I wonder if Fixup would disconnect the amp section of a radio and weld a friggin superminimeta onto it. That would be heaven!

- Matt

Jan 12, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 22
***UPDATE***

I decided to buy PogoProducts' RipFlash Plus 192 mb player. It has a memory card expansion slot that will take another 124 mb card. I have been running with it 4 or 5 times and it has yet to skip although once it did freeze for some reason. I have a feeling it will not freeze anymore though as it feels much more solid than the ipod and it doesn't vibrate or make noise since it has no hard drive. I will post an update after some more runs for those of you looking for an MP3 player that is skip proof for running.

Jan 12, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ironcow13
***UPDATE***

I decided to buy PogoProducts' RipFlash Plus 192 mb player. It has a memory card expansion slot that will take another 124 mb card. I have been running with it 4 or 5 times and it has yet to skip although once it did freeze for some reason. I have a feeling it will not freeze anymore though as it feels much more solid than the ipod and it doesn't vibrate or make noise since it has no hard drive. I will post an update after some more runs for those of you looking for an MP3 player that is skip proof for running.

If it's a flash player how would it skip?

I've got a Nomad II (Smart media - flash memory) and it's never skipped, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back