Running Multiple iPods
Jun 19, 2008 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
I currently have an 80gb ipod classic loaded with 256 and 320 MP3s, and am thinking about buying a 160gb (or maybe the rumoured 320gb) to hold only lossless files.

It does not seem to be possible to run two ipods on the same computer with the same Itunes, without both syncing to the same files. Am I correct in this?

It seems to me the only way of doing it would be to run the second ipod off a different PC or to use different software on the second ipod (rockbox?). Would these work? Any other suggestions?

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 17
I'd just sync one with lossless, then clear your playlist. Then sync your lossy files to the other ipod.

Or use a different program like winamp to avoid some headaches.

Oh and in iTunes, just check the setting for manual ipod syncing, that will prevent your playlist from automatically being written to the wrong ipod.

Jun 19, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 17
Don't think you even need to do it manually - shouldn't be a problem at all. I have 4 iPods that I regularly update both manually, auto and via smart playlists - never had a problem...

In your case you could either create a smart playlist that autofills (if you want) with only lossless or lossy files, or you could have seperate iTunes libraries if you really need to keep things separate. If you go down the smart playlist road, make each playlist, then use auto sync to select which playlist to sync to each time a particular iPod is connected. To refresh the playlist, highlight everything within it and delete... it will generate a new one. If you want iTunes to always import full albums to your playlist, select 'shuffle album' in your preferences section.

Jun 19, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 17
Thanks. That sounds really complicated. Maybe I'll just use winamp for the second ipod ...

Jun 19, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 17
Its actually really easy. Make 2 playlists, dragging the files you want on one iPod into one playlist and the rest into the other playlist. Or make them both smart playlists that choose the types of files ("kind" is "alac" in one playlist and "kind" is "mp3" in the other for example).

Now plug in each iPod and tell one to sync to the first playlist, and the other to sync to the second.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. That sounds really complicated. Maybe I'll just use winamp for the second ipod ...

Trust the other posters, it's dead easy.
Explore smart playlists. You can have them collect tracks at certain bitrates for example. Just what you need.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Jun 19, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 17
Just disable auto-sync for one or both of them.
I manage two iPod's myself, using the same iTunes and different content.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 17
three ipod household here, use media monkey.

we have no issues and no itunes silliness.

Jun 20, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #12 of 17
When you start up iTunes, hold down the option key. A dialogue window will come up asking if you want to select or create a new iTunes library. You can create as many separate libraries as you want and sync a different iPod to each one.

See ya
Steve

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
definitely use media monkey, much better than ipap sorry itunes

How can it be "better" when it don't even support the same OS' as iTunes (Mac OS X and MS Windows)?
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 17
what? it doesn't support windows?

I dont care about mac support, I am not an apple fanboy, but I find using itunes is a right pita and limits certain filetypes etc.

Apple prove who they are more concerned about with the way they employ all their proprietry crap and dont make it easy to transfer from your ipod onto your pc.

media monkey is better than itunes...

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
media monkey is better than itunes...

Whatever you say...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back