Rundown of Caps Anyone?
Oct 14, 2006 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mb3k

1000+ Head-Fier
One thing that I spend a lot of my BOM-making time on is sourcing capacitors (mainly electrolytic) and picking brands. There are tons of great suggestions spread out over many many many threads, but I want to complie it into one.

Does anyone have a basic rundown of the main types of caps (ie. BlackGates, Panasonic FM/FC, Cerafines, etc etc) in order of quality?
What I'm aiming at is to create an outline of the most popular types of capacitors ranked from "best" to "lowest-quality".

Oct 14, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Well it does depend on preference. Why not just go the sites of the big names and good manufacturers. Panasonic, Elna, Nichicon, Rubycon, Sanyo, (Fujistu are meant to be good quality but not sure if that was for audio), probably some I'm missing. Then look at the sort of specs for their caps, their reputation, size, prices, peoples preferences and opinions. I imagine it would be hard to create a definitive list here because some may strongly like/dislike a cap for reasons beyond 'quality'. I say look it up yourself and make an informed decision.

If you want consult the guys with the gold pocket watches and monocles for boutique manufacturers.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Unless the cap is in the signal path, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Panasonic FM or a Nichicon UPW. Once they get put into the signal path, it's a different ball game.

Oct 14, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
Unless the cap is in the signal path, you'd be hard pressed to do better than a Panasonic FM or a Nichicon UPW. Once they get put into the signal path, it's a different ball game.

It's basicly true, but not allways. Os-cons are considered superior for the digital side, both from first hand expirience and spec-wise (ESR at 120KHz is better than FMs). Besides, one can really "hear" different power caps on the analog side of my DAC (which is having only a passive LPF) - I tried tantalum and I was sure it sounded different (from os-cons). So what's actually "on the signal path" might not be that obvuious.

But generally, well said. For example I stocked on Panasonic FM 220uF/35V and 22uF/16V tantis which I'm using as a replacement for generic lytic caps anywhere from 10 to about 1000uF (depending on the space constrains)

Whatever you find about lytics, you have to mention their variation over time - it's often buried in the specs.

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 9
I have been haveing good success with capacitors taken off dead computer motherboards. As I only make single 9V batery cmoys, I am able to use the computergrade 6.3V 1000uF caps... for deoupling the power rails, a simple 10nf Wima does just fine... At first I just used those with 10uf Elna audio caps...but sadly they can't keep up with sudden loud passages and loud bass.

Oct 15, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 9
While you are at it compile a list of all their data too. To make it of any use what so ever we need nominal ESR, possibly ESL too. Tollerance would also be useful for those making EQs.

Why I say this is the capacitor marketing fluff has little to do with how it will sound. Actual experiences can also only tell you how it will sound in that circuit.

E.g. put a 220uf blackgate on the output of a TL431 shunt regulator and you get audible improvements. Put it on the output of an LM317 which is so popular here and the entire system will start ringing at 4khz and will utterly ruin the amp's ability to properly reproduce trebble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back