Rumored new iPod models coming very soon...
Aug 26, 2007 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SactoMan101

500+ Head-Fier
...But I have one MAJOR concern: what kind of headphone plug will they use.

If you look at the headphone jack for the Apple iPhone, note the recessed design, which makes it incompatible with the vast majority of headphones with 3.5 mm jacks out there. I openly wonder will Apple adopt this recessed headphone jack for the 6G video iPod and the rumored 2G iPod nano that can play videos; they would alienate a LOT of iPod fans if Apple does not supply an adapter that would allow most headphones with 3.5 mm jacks to be used.
mad.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Apple is not crazy to make an ipod with a non 3.5 mm headphone plug. That would kill the ipods.
But who knows ... ?

That's not the problem. The issue is that the headphone jack is recessed into the iPhone, making it impossible for headphones with a large diameter BEFORE the 3.5mm jack to fit. My AH-D1000s would not work with it, for example.

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not the problem. The issue is that the headphone jack is recessed into the iPhone, making it impossible for headphones with a large diameter BEFORE the 3.5mm jack to fit. My AH-D1000s would not work with it, for example.

I tried the Creative Labs EP-630 on the iPhone and it barely fit that recessed headphone connector. (The EP-630 has one of the smaller 3.5 mm jacks I've seen out there.)

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiezan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What if they release an ipod with a 1/4 inch plug strictly for audiophiles?

other than adding bulk and requiring an adapter to use IEMS, i don't see what this would do. the ipod is already a non-audiophile device b/c of its poor headphone out performance. those who are looking to get really good sound out of the ipod either get an imod or use a dock connector leading to a headphone amp. these amps may or may not have a 1/4-inch plug.

in short, unless a lot of the internals is changed in the new ipods a 1/4 plug would be useless, IMO.

Aug 27, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 9
^ That, and it would put a ton of strain on the jack, considering it was meant to be portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back