RumbleFX Force Feeback Headphones - King of Gaming headphone for 100 bucks with amp
Jul 30, 2001 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tides

On the lam from Mothra
source
http://ps2.ign.com/hardware/296.html

I will paste the entire article here with the pic

RumbleFX Force Feeback Headphones

Evergreen Technologies scores big with an excellent set of force feedback headphones.

I stuck these in the Headphones category, but that doesn't fully describe what the RumbleFX cans are. You can, of course, just use them as you would any other headphones and be basically happy. But Evergreen Technologies designed them with much more in mind. I suppose they're hoping that you're a bit dissatisfied merely listening to music and are looking for a more sensual experience. And that's where the RumbleFX come in. The RumbleFX are force feedback headphones that vibrate along with the low frequencies, like a subwoofer for your noggin.
Initially, I wasn't too keen on trying the RumbleFX. They just seemed too gimmicky to be worthwhile. I also assumed that Evergreen would skimp on the sound quality in order to achieve the rumble. After a few days of abuse I admit that my assumptions were wrong. Even without the force feedback, the RumbleFX would make nice headphones. With the force feedback, they bring a refreshing new element to gaming, or any other audio application for that matter. Granted, you really have to pull in the reigns at times, but the RumbleFX kick ass.

The RumbleFX package includes the headphones, controller, two AAA batteries, and a 1/8-inch to ¼-inch adapter. There are no drivers and no software necessary for operation; they plug directly into a powered headphone jack. The AAA batteries power the transducers that vibrate the earcups; however, they do not amplify the signal. In other words, you cannot plug the RumbleFX directly into a soundcard. The signal is miniscule and the result is terrible sound. I connected them to the jack on my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, which worked well.

The controller is about the size of a bicycle handgrip and is hardwired inline about 18 inches away from the headphones. There is an 1/8-inch jack on the other end instead of a hardwired cord. This is smart in case you want a shorter or longer cable, or if the line breaks. I sort of wish they had set it up similarly on both end, but I suppose they didn't want to separate the controller and phones. Besides housing the batteries, the controller has a volume dial, Bass switch, indicator light, and belt clip.

That Bass switch is where all the fun begins. When it is set to "off" the headphones respond like any others. At position "I" the low-end gets translated into vibrations at a moderate level. You begin to feel the movement on your head at higher levels and simply a boosted bass at lower levels. At position "II" things get nuts. The bass is incredibly boosted and the phones are getting jiggy as hell.

I tested the RumbleFX with three media: games, movies, and music. They are squarely aimed at gamers looking for more, but I wanted to see how flexible they were. For games I selected QIII, which has a really terrific, and very dynamic, soundtrack. For movies I watched some of Dancer in the Dark, an unlikely choice that ended up working very well. For music I ran all kinds of material, but the effect was most dramatic with rap/big beat stuff. The RumbleFX fared equally well in all three applications.

Playing QIII with the RumbleFX was off the hook. Hell, a good sound system alone really enhances this game. The RumbleFX do all that and then some. Not only is the sound pristine, but the force feedback plainly adds to the action. About five us were switching off on one machine and everyone gave an enthusiastic thumbs up. The low rumble of the rocket launcher was the highpoint; it sounded and felt as threatening and heavy as could be. What's better is that the vibration didn't detract from the sound quality at all. I would have thought that the low-end would be partially replaced by the shaking. Not so.

I think the RumbleFX are least comfortable with movies – not so much because they don't work, but rather because it is just too distracting. This is largely do to the low-end tone that pretty much dominates newer movies. Most of it is the LFE channel that goes directly to the sub and hits in somewhere around 30Hz - 50Hz. This signal makes the RumbleFX go bananas. Amazingly, they kept up with the bass and held the sound together, but it is simple too much shaking. (I also couldn't do it because I couldn't concentrate on the screen. My eyes were literally shaking.) This doesn't mean that can't use them with flick, though. You can simply turn the Bass off and use them as normal headphones, which works very well.

Lastly was music, the most difficult test for any speaker/headphone. I was very, very surprised by the audio quality of the RumbleFX. I have used headphone that cost about the same and didn't have any extras – let alone force feedback - that sounded inferior to these cans. The lows were smooth and even, with plenty of deep low presence. The highs were clear and clean, with no perceptible buzz or sizzle at even the highest levels. The one weakness – and it wasn't much of a weakness at that – was the midrange. There seemed to be a few gaps in the response. All the information was there, but it was presented unevenly. The low-mids and mid-mids sounded good, but the high-mids were a bit underrepresented. Again, this was during close listening. For the most part, everyone was surprised by the sound quality.

The RumbleFX are also very comfortable. The headband and earcups both have adequate padding and the earcups swivel on the vertical axis, so a snug fit is almost guaranteed. They are a bit heavier than most other models, but never annoyingly so. They deserve some leeway here also; they do much more than most headphones. I could see the controller getting in the way, but sitting on a desk, where it will be most of the time, it is fine. If you were out and about with the RumbleFX you could always use the belt clip.

I don't know what Evergreen claims for battery life, but I have used them at least twenty hours and the batteries are going strong. I read another review that stated thirty hours, which seems reasonable.

Conclusion
I would strongly recommend that any gamer looking for new headphones buy a pair of these excellent headphones. Whether you spend your time listening to music or playing games all night, you will be satisfied. And at this price, they are a bargain. An excellent product.

--Mike Wiley

headphones.jpg

Specs:

RumbleFX Headphones

RumbleFX force feedback vibration and volume control unit
Two AAA batteries (Approximately 20 hours of gameplay and/or music listening time)
A stereo headphone conversion jack
Soft cushion earcup on lightweight adjustable headband
90-day Warranty
Driver Unit: 40mm diameter dome
Diameter: 57mm diameter actuator
Impedance: 32 Ohm
Sensitivity: 102dB S.P.L. at 1 Khz
Max Power Handling: 500 mW
Frequency response: 5-28,000Hz
Power Requirements: 3V
Cord: Approximately 4m(13ft)
Stereo Plug 3.5mm(.14") diameter

amp2.jpg

RumbleFX 3D Sound Amplifier

Dimensions: Length 8.5", Height 7", Width 2.5"
Weight: 1.5 lbs.
90 day warranty
Input:

Stereo in: 2 RCA line in jacks for L and R channels
Stereo in: 1 x 3.5mm jack in for PC sound card, walkman, CD audio and other audio equipment
Output

2 RCA line out jacks for connection to amplifiers
1 x 3.5mm jack for direct listening with headphones
3W x 2 channel stereo amplified output via 3.5mm stereo jack

The RumbleFX Sound Amplifier attaches between any audio device and the speakers or headphones releasing 3D holographic surround-sound, enhanced sub-woofer effect and increased high-frequency reproduction. Experience the benefits of a top-of-the-line stereo receiver in a light weight, compact and affordable unit.

__________________________________________________ __

Looks like jsut about ALl gaming sites are praising this.

Awards from various gaming sites

http://www.rumblefx.com/sale.asp#awards

Hear the difference here

http://www.rumblefx.com/samples.asp

I listened to the samples and I was quiet impressed with what i heard... somewhat tempted to order this and give it a try...

Headphone is 60 bucks while 3d amp is 40 bucks ( so cheap comparing to what we are buying
wink.gif
)

Looks to be the King of Gaming headphones .

ANyone know much about them ? ALL THESE sites praising it looks to be solid ..

Tides

Jul 30, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 5
I wonder if this would work well for movies and music, since I don't play too many games...

edit: Oops, I am stupid, and I didn't read the whole thing. Looks like they're designed for games though... hmm... maybe worth checking out...

Jul 30, 2001 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 5
For your movie viewing, I recommend hd580 or hd600 with dsp PRO or dsp 360.

VERY entertaining and great sounding for movies ! (esp DVD)

Tides

Jul 30, 2001 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 5
*frowns*

I have heard some wayyyyyyyy more negative reviews than that... I would suggest you try and find some more reviews..... IE, the rumbling is distracting, and it comes an instant too late, the sound quality isn't that good, that kind of thing. Heck, for gaming, I'd suggest the Denon AHD-950's and A3D, and for DVD's and music, I'd suggest the Sennheiser HD495's and Dolby Headphone....

Jul 30, 2001 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Did you listen to the sound samples WITH that 3d amp ?

They sound quite good to me ( comparing to the regular version)
I do a lot of PC FPS online games and some of the samples sounded quite good .....

hmm

Tides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back