Ruined analog outputs on 1212M - need a DAC or a new soundcard
Jan 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shoewreck

500+ Head-Fier
It's like a time to state that I've modded my 0202m board to death. No analog outputs and only one analog input are left. I'll try to resurrect it, but I don't believe I would succeed there.

Now I've got three options:
1) Leave everything as is, just turn integrated audio on.
2) Buy an external DAC and use it in conjunction with 1010.
3) Get another soundcard. Probably not E-MU, because I wasn't fully content with it's sound, drivers and mod-ability.

I'd be glad to try Onkyo SE-90, but it's hard to find even on eBay. ESI Juli@ also seems to be a good option. Lynx L22 seems too expensive to me and I don't need 4 outputs.
I've heard about some fancy old professional non-oversampling 16-bit interfaces with great sound, but can't remember any brand or model name. Old consumer 16-bit soundcards are either ISA or 48 KHz-only (resampling is unacceptable to me) and generally have low specs.

So... what would you recommend?

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdgserv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I use..

me too..that's why i recommended it..i have the EMu 0404 as well..hands down the ESI Juli@

Jan 14, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
me too..that's why i recommended it..i have the EMu 0404 as well..hands down the ESI Juli@

I've heard that Juli@ overplays 0404, but 1212M is also a good performer and has better specs than both, so only direct comparision could show which one is better. Though I believe there is an E-MU/Creative harsh "house sound".

Jan 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like a time to state that I've modded my 0202m board to death. No analog outputs and only one analog input are left. I'll try to resurrect it, but I don't believe I would succeed there.

Now I've got three options:
1) Leave everything as is, just turn integrated audio on.
2) Buy an external DAC and use it in conjunction with 1010.
3) Get another soundcard. Probably not E-MU, because I wasn't fully content with it's sound, drivers and mod-ability.

I'd be glad to try Onkyo SE-90, but it's hard to find even on eBay. ESI Juli@ also seems to be a good option. Lynx L22 seems too expensive to me and I don't need 4 outputs.
I've heard about some fancy old professional non-oversampling 16-bit interfaces with great sound, but can't remember any brand or model name. Old consumer 16-bit soundcards are either ISA or 48 KHz-only (resampling is unacceptable to me) and generally have low specs.

So... what would you recommend?

2)

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 10
I've made some extensive research. It seems like Xonar D2 would fit my needs. It's PCI, compatible with Linux (ASUS does a good job here - all current Xonars are supported by ALSA). Current output DACs instead of SCF, as in most top Wolfsons, AK's and CS's, film caps instead of ceramics in 1212M, more advanced filtering - that all is going to end in a smoother, more transparent sound compared to 1212M (or at least I hope so).

Addition: I don't consider 1212M neutral nor natural nor extremely detailed. There's something in it's sonic signature that makes it seem resolving and analytic at first time, but that's just a harsh colouration due to weak analog part (and CS4398 requires a very strong one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back