Rugged Portable Headphones Advice
Feb 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Basifrisk

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of strong, tough, reliable headphones to use during travel. The imperative is that they are light, and can be stuffed into a backpack/bag easily, as I will be quite rough with them (especially when in a hurry).

I do not want an IEM, as 1; they don't fit in my ears very well, and 2; I find IEMS to be uncomfortable when moving about.
So I'm really focussing my search on Over Ears and On Ear headphones.

Foldable headphones would obviously be great, as they will be smaller and less likely to break/bend in my pack.

Isolation:
I don't really mind if there is no isolation, or if there is isolation. However slight isolation is preferred to none, as they will be used outdoors mostly.

As for sound quality:
I am not too fussed, as close to 'monitor' style as possible would be good. I listen to a wide variety of music, and don't really want a specific EQ.

Input:
I will primarily be using these cans with my phone/mp3 player, and not a computer or amp.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 17
Sony MDR-V6. Magnesium cups, metal headband, coil cord,. The wires that go from the cups to the headband shouldn't really be fragile if you're going to quick stash them. Anyways, they come with a nice pouch that I didn't know about until I got mine (a bonus for me). And as for the pads, if you ever need more, you can get them for cheap or go w/ the beyer pads.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 17
hd25 - very durable
german maestro i forgot which model - more durable than hd25
aiaiai tma1 - it looks durable

yep v6 would be a good bet, although if you can get a cd900st for cheap, all the better

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
hd25 - very durable
german maestro i forgot which model - more durable than hd25
aiaiai tma1 - it looks durable

yep v6 would be a good bet, although if you can get a cd900st for cheap, all the better

As cat man here says. Though the hd25 isn't as neutral is the v6 :3 it is very durable (also made some 20-30+ years ago).
Yes yes, cd900st. Had I known about it, I would've jumped on it. Even more neutral and refined. Some people say it's even 5x better than the v6,

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 17
+1 for the HD25-1-II or any HD25 variety... The thing is built like a tank, and most of its parts are user replaceable from the Sennheiser online store. As on-ears, they are not the best in terms of comfort, but they isolate well. SQ-wise you'll get strong, punchy bass and an in-your-face sound. Not too much soundstaging from the HD25 based on my listening.

I don't know if they will sound their best straight from a phone/mp3, but the rest of it suits your criteria fairly well. Check it out:
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/dj-headphones-noise-reduction-hifi-stereo-hd-25-1-ii

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back