Rugged, field headphones needed
Mar 1, 2012 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mauricio

500+ Head-Fier
After six years of rough & tumble use, my beater headphones are on the verge of dying.  They've done tours of duty in Afghanistan, Kosovo, Pakistan, Indonesia and East Timor. It's now time to add (ret) to their title.  Ergo I am looking for a pair of rugged yet refined-sound headphones.  Required specs include:

1. Closed back
  2. Circumaural
  3. Bomb-proof build;
  4. Higher than average neutral, "monitoring" sound quality;
  5. No higher than 32 Ohms;

How do the BD DT48E fit the bill?

Another route, of course, is to go with a semi-disposable philosophy in which a couple of years of service will suffice.  In this case, I'll need a headphone that costs about $150, something like the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 9
I own the Sony MDR-7506 and one of the things that I like the most about them is they're durable and every part is available for purchase/replacement. I bought them based on their being a studio/mixing standard (my first "real" set of headphones) and I have enjoyed them. They have slightly boosted treble and slightly rolled off bass with good mids so they have a lot of detail to their sound.

Another fun thing about them is that since I bought them I can't stop seeing them on TV; Howard Stern, Yo Yo Ma at the Kennedy Center, and one of the cameramen on Deadliest Catch was wearing them on a crab boat (which, now that I think about it, speaks even higher of their durability)!

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Next to that Sony there's also the AKG K240 and K271. Even Monsterquest (no matter how laughable it is sometimes) had them in some episodes. Although personally I'd go for something that folds flat if you need them to be rugged and mobile; easily slips into a sleeve compartment in a large laptop bag.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 9
i'd vote for the HD25-1 II.

closed back - yes

circumaural - nope, but this makes them very compact, and can be stowed away almost anywhere. plus, they're light as a feather.

build quality - nigh-indestructible, field-strip design, all parts user replaceable. steel cable is handy for strangulating enemies.

sound - a closed-back Grado. could you ask for more???

impedance - 70ohms. is 32ohm really that essential???

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 9

senn HD25

Quote:

1. Closed back - yes
  2. Circumaural - no
  3. Bomb-proof build - yes
  4. Higher than average neutral, "monitoring" sound quality - yes, kinda
  5. No higher than 32 Ohms - 70 but arguiable easy to drive, new 32 ohm version coming but pricey.

Audio Technica ATH-M50. - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

+ superb isolation and removable cable.

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Mar 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
i'd vote for the HD25-1 II.

closed back - yes

circumaural - nope, but this makes them very compact, and can be stowed away almost anywhere. plus, they're light as a feather.

build quality - nigh-indestructible, field-strip design, all parts user replaceable. steel cable is handy for strangulating enemies.

sound - a closed-back Grado. could you ask for more???

impedance - 70ohms. is 32ohm really that essential???

Circumaural is for noise isolation.  32Ohm or less is so the stock Ipod can power them.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 9
HD 25-1 II isolate very well even though they sit on your ear.  Even though they're 70 Ohms, these headphones are so efficient they can reach ear splitting volume on an iPod or other small portable music players.  They are really a very durable headphone even though just from looking at it you wouldn't think so.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
HD 25-1 II isolate very well even though they sit on your ear.  Even though they're 70 Ohms, these headphones are so efficient they can reach ear splitting volume on an iPod or other small portable music players.  They are really a very durable headphone even though just from looking at it you wouldn't think so.

Agreed. 
I'd consider them seriously.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back