RSA Tomahawk , Mustang, Predator
Sep 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TedGamble

Head-Fier
I previously owned a Tomahawk (and regretably sold it - now I want it, or something like it, back).

So, using the Tomahawk 's sound profile as a reference, how does the Mustang and Predator compare (to the Tomahawk )?

I realize the Predator is also a DAC (and that feature alone is worth extra to me), but more than anything else I'm interested in the sound profiles of each.

To give you an idea as to my music preferences, Boston's "Hollyann" and Joe Cocker's "When the Night Comes" contains the depth of bass and wailing guitars that I favor.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 7
All I can say is I had an RSA P-51 Mustang and loved it. To be honest though, based on your signature I would upgrade the headphones before the amp.

Sep 4, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

To be honest though, based on your signature I would upgrade the headphones before the amp.

Been thinking about that.

From the list below, what's your suggestion? I don't want booming base, tight but well-defined is preferred.

Grado SR-60i $80
Grado SR-80i $99
Ultrasone HFI550$129
Sony MDR-V700DJ$92
Shure SRH440$100

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm only familiar with IEM's. Sorry.

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TedGamble /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been thinking about that.

From the list below, what's your suggestion? I don't want booming base, tight but well-defined is preferred.

Grado SR-60i $80
Grado SR-80i $99
Ultrasone HFI550$129
Sony MDR-V700DJ$92
Shure SRH440$100

AMP3 is other option, for it have a good controlling on bass,and highs. Further more, you can get a bonus of a decet DAP functions.

by the way, there are reports that AMP3 have a very good synergy with GRADO sr 80 and 60. Please search amp3 threads inside this forum.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 7
I am now using the RSA P-51 Mustang with Sennheiser HD25-1II, it sounds excellent! The SQ of the Mustang is so good, and I am sure you should like it especially you like the Tomahawk. It sounds richer, smoother, better extension in both ends, very sweat mid. The depth of soundstage is perfect.

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the Predator, it took a while to burn in, but using the DAC with my W3's last night, listening to Bob Dylan "Highway 61", A-mazing. Beautiful full and lush, (unexpected for a Dylan 1965 recording),great extensions in the highs and mids, no shrills or harsness. Fantastic guitar, harmonica and vocal presentation. Ray says it's the same amp as the P-51, with a DAC. If you liked the Tomahawk; I think you will be more than happy with the Predator. My opinion only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back