RSA Tomahawk Mini to Mini?
Oct 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

menwithouthats

New Head-Fier
Hello all, this will be my first time posting after lurking here for a while now. So I recently just received my tomahawk, but am still awaiting for my mini to mini to arrive. Now I checked the manual, and it said and i quote, "The tomahawk will only improve the sound quality of the devices that have a true line out. Using headphone jack with the tomahawk is not recommend."

The problem is I'm using a sony dap, and it does not have lineout, so I'm asking, will using the amp connected with a mini to mini have any effect at all?
Or will it be moot? Thanks for taking the time reading all this.

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 7
It will be fine mate, just connect the player and the amp together and brace yourself for lots of amplified audio goodness. Ideally you would preferably use a line out, but to be honest, when i tried using a line out with an ipod i preferred the headphone output. The amp will ever so slightly change the sound signature. The Tomahawk and most of the more popular and better quality amps will all have this effect, and this is what most people are after. Some folks love the RSA sound, some love the Meier sound etc etc. Just plug them together bud and enjoy, it's a great amp.

Ps- welcome aboard
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by menwithouthats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all, this will be my first time posting after lurking here for a while now. So I recently just received my tomahawk, but am still awaiting for my mini to mini to arrive. Now I checked the manual, and it said and i quote, "The tomahawk will only improve the sound quality of the devices that have a true line out. Using headphone jack with the tomahawk is not recommend."

The problem is I'm using a sony dap, and it does not have lineout, so I'm asking, will using the amp connected with a mini to mini have any effect at all?
Or will it be moot? Thanks for taking the time reading all this.

I'm using a Cowon D2 to feed the hawk via a mini through the HP out. So you should be alright.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Also, Ray's manual is technically correct, but a lot if it depends on the demands of your headphone. For example, if you're using a higher end Grado, they will prefer the higher current offered by an amp and will sound better regardless if it's from the headphone out or lineout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back