RSA Tomahawk and Hornet questions
Jun 3, 2008 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers,

I have been drooling over these fine amps for quite a while now. Although I am a bit short on the cash I would like some recommendations from the owners.

1. How is the volume pot does it develop static over time?
2. Is the paint finish scratch proof to some degree?
3. How big is the performance gap between the Tomahawk and the Hornet? (If someone who has both or has heard both would like to comment that would be awesome)
4. I've seen a lot of M vs. non-M Hornet debating, I will be using it both with IEMs and some Yuin PK1s/OK1s, which one do you think would be the best?

I hope I am not asking dumb questions :p
Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Frederik

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 17
Mine exhibits loud static on the left channel when turning the pots and the front panel markings starts to fade off easily but the paint finish or anodizing is top notch.

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 17
egal.
"loud static on the left channel when turning the pots"
Mine is none M.
Sound is Great.
I use it with GS1000 and with UM2.

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine exhibits loud static on the left channel when turning the pots and the front panel markings starts to fade off easily but the paint finish or anodizing is top notch.

Ouch that static must be painful when using the Triple.fis
frown.gif

Which raises another question how is the noise floor?

Jun 3, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 17
No noise floor.

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 17
what noise floor??? I've owned tommy and hornet for a few years. great sound out of either. no scratches marks or dings, but I always have my amps in a carrying case or sitting on night stand-in other words, they aren't carried in pants or shirt without protection.

Loved them so much I sold them for a much more expensive Predator and OBOY is that bad boy something else!!! But, all of Ray's amps are designed for durability both in finish and in the electronic guts

Jun 3, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 17
I'm the second or even third owner of a black Hornet M (tho colour's sort of dark chocolate in strong light) - anodizing is still as perfect as the day it left Ray. Pot is a little noisy, but that's not a biggie.
Wonderful amp. Nicest power switch I've come across too -stylish.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 17
I love my Tomahawk, the paint and finish is flawless after a year and a half but it is very well cared for and carried in a case strapped to my Zune. I also put small foam shock absorbing feet on it to protect the finish when setting it down.

Nose floor is non existant, the pot is a little scratchy (probably dirty)

sounds great with E4C (low gain) and fantastic with my newly acquired PK1 (high gain)

IMHO, if you are not planning on using it for full size cans TH should win over the hornet because of the insane battery life and smaller size.. I will add that if you listen at ear-splitting volumes Hornet would probably give you more headroom

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 17
Or Predator?
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 17
What this 'pot' everyone eludes to? - excuse the pun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back