RSA to the U.K.
Aug 18, 2007 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

coinup

New Head-Fier
Has anyone from the U.K. brought anything from ray samuels, in particular the 'raptor'.

Concerned about customs thats all mainly, plus is it really better than a musical fidelity x-can V3 and other valve headphone amplifiers.

all the best.

RS-1 - HD565 - IPOD 5G 80GB

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 25
If it's customs you're worried about, you will get taxed
smily_headphones1.gif

17.5% tax.

edited: You could evade taxes. Declare it as "Warranty Replacement", "Gift" (at a very low cost) or "Commercial Sample" which I doubt Ray Samuels would be comfortable doing.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 25
Yeah I had to pay import duties on my Hornet.

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 25
Yup it's 17.5% VAT sometimes with 2% override then the delivery company will charge a handling fee of about £15 (for collecting the excise duty).
Plus youv'e really got to insure it - if the airport doesn't lose it then the customs people like to rip your parcels open and damage delicate items, sometimes losing bits.
I've got stiffed too many times to even think about buying anything from the US.

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 25
When I order mine, Ray declared it as a gift valued at around $65. It was opened by customs, and I was charged around £8 for it to be released, this included the £5 handling fees......

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 25
UK Import tax ruling has changed, you might well have a green US label w/Gift written on it, it'll be ignored.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure it'll be ignored declared as Gift?

I remember reading that an expensive gift would be taxed regardless.
frown.gif

I believe they're much stricker now. Before they'd let some things get through, so you might be lucky.
I think now almost everything gets charged, but you can get a refund if you can prove its non-taxable.

Still worth importing though, with the $ so weak. As an example I bought a really strong US police torch and saved £50.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I order mine, Ray declared it as a gift valued at around $65. It was opened by customs, and I was charged around £8 for it to be released, this included the £5 handling fees......

what did you order????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back