RSA Stealth in hand!
May 2, 2005 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ken_loo

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks to some very nice headfiers, GoRedwings19 and Zanth, I've got a RS Stealth to play with for a bit. I'm still a noob so I haven't heard many amps. My reference is a Headsave Classic with AD643s.
biggrin.gif
Only had time to use the MS-pros but I'll try other phones out later.

First thing I noticed is how everything sounded "alive". Through the classic I always knew I was listening to a cd, but through the stealth I'd close my eyes and almost forget it.

The stealth also seems to have better control over the attack of notes. I've always found percussion and cymbals in particular to sound unrealistic on the MS-pro. I wouldn't go as far to say it is gone but it's definitely improved.

I've only had an hour or so of listening since I've got the amp so if anyone is interested I'll post some more impressions after I've spent more time with it.

Mandatory pic:
stealth.jpg

BIG thanks again to GoRedwings19 and Zanth for giving me this opportunity!

May 3, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
Thanks to some very nice headfiers, GoRedwings19 and Zanth, I've got a RS Stealth to play with for a bit. I'm still a noob so I haven't heard many amps. My reference is a Headsave Classic with AD643s.
biggrin.gif
Only had time to use the MS-pros but I'll try other phones out later.

First thing I noticed is how everything sounded "alive". Through the classic I always knew I was listening to a cd, but through the stealth I'd close my eyes and almost forget it.

The stealth also seems to have better control over the attack of notes. I've always found percussion and cymbals in particular to sound unrealistic on the MS-pro. I wouldn't go as far to say it is gone but it's definitely improved.

I've only had an hour or so of listening since I've got the amp so if anyone is interested I'll post some more impressions after I've spent more time with it.

Mandatory pic:
stealth.jpg

BIG thanks again to GoRedwings19 and Zanth for giving me this opportunity!

Glad you are enjoying it. Did Zanth show you his goodies???? You should of tried the Rs-1's+Hp4....

May 3, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 10
A Stealth is a beautiful thing to behold. The only thing, besides $, that keeps me from getting one is knowing my Raptor is being built. Enjoy!

May 3, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Glad you are enjoying it. Did Zanth show you his goodies???? You should of tried the Rs-1's+Hp4....

No such luck as he was very busy when I dropped in. Next time though!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
No such luck as he was very busy when I dropped in. Next time though!
smily_headphones1.gif

cos he was busy he has r-10's, ps-1's, omega 2's, hp-1, hp-2's.....

Thinking of getting some meridian active speakers for a laugh to partner it with the stealth....
rolleyes.gif

May 3, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 10
Are you using it as a preamp as well? That's (IMO) where it really shows off its stuff.
Enjoy.
CPW

May 3, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Are you using it as a preamp as well? That's (IMO) where it really shows off its stuff.
Enjoy.
CPW

I'll give a try with my modest speaker system. Wonder how it will match with the Sony TA-N80ES

May 3, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 10
Very nice!!! stealth is one bad mo fo, hook that thing up to some speakers and hear what a preamp is supposed to sound like!!!

Hmmm, I'm looking at the gs-1 from headamp, and the chassis looks almost identical to the stealth

May 3, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 10
I've always been thinking that the Stealth is the best-looking headphone amp ever made (tube or solid state). As far as pictures can tell, the love for details (for example the lines around the volume dial), beautiful craftmanship, black metal, proper knob placement, ... led to a truly beautiful result. Most of the other tube amps look like bricks with tubes on top, which is my subjective opinion, but the Stealth just got the proportions right. It's an elegant design really. I've never seen one in real life but if the excellent looks would also translate to excellent sound, it's probably better that I never get to hear one.

May 5, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #10 of 10
It is really elegant. I'll take a photo of my entire audio rack later to show how it really steps up the "class" another notch. *check below* As far as using it as a preamp on my speaker system, I probably don't have a decent enough system to notice a difference. stealth --> TA-N80ES --> Paradigm mini-monitors sound the same to me as TA-E1000ESD --> TA-N80ES --> Paradigm mini-monitors except for a more noticible noise floor with the stealth
redface.gif

rack.jpg

The speaker system needs an upgrade but it's on the back burner because of these forums
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back