RSA SR-71A or Pico?
Sep 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Little Bob

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading and digesting an awful lot of information from this site over the last couple of weeks so now it's time for my first post - and it's a question.

I have an 80GB iPod Video 5.5 Gen and Shure SE530's and listen whenever I can wherever I am to lots of different types of music. From Brian Eno to Led Zep, with a great love for cool chillout and lounge music too.

I love the portability of the iPod and being able to take virtually all my collection with me is a huge benefit, and because of this I use my iPod as my primary source. I have a Fatman iTube Carbon edition amp (anyone else have one of these? - Brilliant!) with Q-Acoustic speakers for home use.

I now want to maximise my audio SQ when away from home and feel that having ripped most of my music to lossless an amp is the next step.

Having spent quite some time reading up on the subject I have narrowed the choice down to two extremely highly regarded, and new, amps - the SR-71A and the Pico.

I would really appreciates your thoughts on either of these amps with my particular set up, and advice on which way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 56
One has dac the other not, shouldnt be too hard to choose. If just going by amp section alone, the SR71A should be the more powerful one. SQ wise, I dont know since I never heard the pico before.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 56
I won't need the DAC version - it's just the amp performance and SQ that I need to consider.

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 56
The Pico is available w/o Dac as well. I own a Pico w/Dac and find SQ to be on par with other full size HP amps I own, yet in a sub palm sized package. Dac is great if you travel with a notebook and use it to watch DVDs or for a larger music library. Never heard the SR-71A but other threads mention it takes about 200 hrs to break-in. Pico is good to go with little or no break-in.:.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 56
Here is another option, not trying to muddy the water too much. The Tomahawk was designed specifically for IEMs and was voiced in particular with the E500/SE530s. It has an extremely small footprint and excellent battery life. I think that choosing between the SR-71A and the Pico is a win win situation. The user replaceable batteries of the 71A and Tomahawk maybe a nice benefit.

Just some food for thought. I would venture to say, that the decision will come to sound flavor and features. They are both excellent products from respected vendors.

RSA has a particular house sound. It is colored.
Headamp's approach has been described as a "wire with gain."

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pico is available w/o Dac as well. I own a Pico w/Dac and find SQ to be on par with other full size HP amps I own, yet in a sub palm sized package. Dac is great if you travel with a notebook and use it to watch DVDs or for a larger music library. Never heard the SR-71A but other threads mention it takes about 200 hrs to break-in. Pico is good to go with little or no break-in.:.

Pico need burn in too.... out from the box, it sound too hush and aggressive. SR71a sound good out from the box.

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 56
i am curious about this as well.
i had pico and predator, and i preferred pico's more neutral sound.
if you care about the size, pico is a lot smaller than sr71a. pico's length is about 3/5 of your ipod, and the width is about 4/5 of ipod. sr71a's length and width are very similar to ipod's.
pico being too small was one of the few reasons of me getting rid of it.

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico need burn in too.... out from the box, it sound too hush and aggressive. SR71a sound good out from the box.

What I meant was Pico needs less break in than SR71a according to most comments in other threads and some like the sound right out of the box. Of course we all hear things differently. Anyway, I know it's off topic, but did you attend the F1 night race in Singapore? Wish I could have been there.:.

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I meant was Pico needs less break in than SR71a according to most comments in other threads and some like the sound right out of the box. Of course we all hear things differently. Anyway, I know it's off topic, but did you attend the F1 night race in Singapore? Wish I could have been there.:.

I do not have any bad intend too
bigsmile_face.gif
F1 Singapore
beerchug.gif
I when for the practice 1 and 2... the bumpy road make nice spark effect. But bad for the drivers. I never seen So many people gather together in Singapore for my whole life. Anyway, I was heartbroken after Nelson accident and Massa incident. Kimi accident make it even worst My fav team is lagging behind. Lucky Alonso won and not that arrogant Lewis.

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

I do not have any bad intend too
bigsmile_face.gif
F1 Singapore
beerchug.gif
I when for the practice 1 and 2... the bumpy road make nice spark effect. But bad for the drivers. I never seen So many people gather together in Singapore for my whole life. Anyway, I was heartbroken after Nelson accident and Massa incident. Kimi accident make it even worst My fav team is lagging behind. Lucky Alonso won and not that arrogant Lewis.

Thank you for some insights on the event from someone who was there. Nice to know you are an F1 fan too and good to meet you on Head-Fi.:.

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 56
Singapore government view it more than just hosting a sport event apparently thus making the event very graand and exciting =D

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

Singapore government view it more than just hosting a sport event apparently thus making the event very graand and exciting =D

Congratulations to your country and the people of Singapore, all reports after the race say the venue and the event is the best in Formula One. I'm sure it was a huge economic success.:.

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 56
Definitely get the DAC version of the Pico for listening at home. I tried the SE530s with an iPod and LOD connected to the Pico amp and while it did sound good, the Electronic EQ does an almost equally nice job in improving the SE530's SQ considerably. Using the Pico with DAC is a completely different story though.

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 56
SR-71A gets my vote for SQ. Pico gets the vote for portability. After owning and listening to both, IMHO the Pico sounds like a toy compared to the SR-71A. The Pico is analytical and small sounding in comparison. The SR-71A has tons of headroom, all the detail of the Pico, and sounds much more musical. Again, just my opinion...

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-71A gets my vote for SQ. Pico gets the vote for portability.

x2. I'm using the SR-71A on my main rig and Pico as home DAC or with my 3g nano for portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back