RSA RS-71A or iQube for iPod and UM2 ?
Sep 26, 2008 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mirh

Head-Fier
Hello,
This is my first post here.
Sorry for my English, I’m not native English speaker.
Recently I bought Westone UM2 which replaced my Creative EP-630. What a difference!
I use iPod Nano 2nd gen. 8Gb and I’m going to buy a new classic one (120Gb).
I consider of buying 1 of this 2: RSA RS-71A or iQube (and use line-out of my iPod).
Which of this 2 will be better companion for my UM2 and iPod?
I live in Europe so price of this 2 will be similar (including additional cost of shipping, customs, VAT for RS-71A). Really I wish I had an opportunity to listen them both...
I read that UM2 has stronger bass than other similar quality IEM and it is quite difficult to choose a good amplifier.
I listen jazz, classic, rock (recently Nick Cave old records)
I prefer neutral sound with many details and good soundstaging.
Any ideas or should I consider different amps?

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 4
I have owned a Westone UM2 and currently own a Iqube, I cannot comment on the SR71A since I have never heard it. From memory the UM2 has a warm sonic signature, and the bass which really stands out for me has a smudgy type characteristic as in the end of the bass notes seems to smear. Combining it with a warm amp might take out definition especially on the low end. The Iqube has that quick, neutral sound to it. The bass is fast,detailed, natural and with good definition. I think the iQube's speed especially in the low end can neutralize the warm bass of the UM2. I think with the combo you will get a sound that is not analytical or warm, something more natural sounding maybe.

I would not recommend the UM2 be mated with an amp with emphasize bass, or the ones which have warm sonic signatures.

Sep 26, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I would not recommend the UM2 be mated with an amp with emphasize bass, or the ones which have warm sonic signatures.

so it is rather risky buying an amp without listening... :frowning2:
really I don't know what to do.
Owners of UM2 what do you recommend (considering my expectations about sonic performance)?

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 4
I rarely use an amp with the UM2 these days even though I have a Hornet and a Go-Vibe V7 ECO. If I *do* use an amp it sounds better with the Go-Vibe but I've found the 3GNano/UM2 combo is fine for my purposes and needs no help at all. I might add my music is ripped using apple lossless which may make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back