RSA Raptor or Mapletree w/AKG K701?
Nov 7, 2007 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

robinje

100+ Head-Fier
Any Raptor users here using a pair of AKG K701's? How about Mapletree Ear+ HD/HD2 owners? I am trying to decide between these amps. I am leaning toward the Raptor based on previous positive RSA experience (I once had an HR-2 and liked it, but not when I had the K701's). I am under the impression that both are fine amps, but my gut feeling is that the Raptor is more "linear" and the Mapletree amps may be a little more "tubey". I am looking for punch and no rolling off of frequency extremes, but I'd like to stick with a tube amp this time around.

Please provide your input on these amps with my cans. Thanks!

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 14
I have Mapletree HD2 and have AKG701 and can tell you that this is not an ideal marriage. Mapletree HD2 is as linear a headphone amp as it gets - like straight wire with gain. It is not tubey at all (at least to my ears.

I am thinking of Raptor too ... good luck

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 14
I have just received a Raptor and K701's.

I am still burning in the K701's and getting used to the characteristics of the Raptor.

I will report back in a few weeks.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavalamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just received a Raptor and K701's.

I am still burning in the K701's and getting used to the characteristics of the Raptor.

I will report back in a few weeks.

Please do. I'm considering trying my Raptor with k701's but given that I'd have to buy them to do so... any info on this combo is very welcome. thanks in advance.

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 14
I have used my 701s with a Raptor at a meet and thought they sounded quite good. I thought the Raptor had a slightly warm sound with the 701s which was very good to listen to. This was at a meet so conditions were not perfect, but I did listen to it for quite awhile.

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used my 701s with a Raptor at a meet and thought they sounded quite good. I thought the Raptor had a slightly warm sound with the 701s which was very good to listen to. This was at a meet so conditions were not perfect, but I did listen to it for quite awhile.

personally I would go with neither of these amps, I had the raptor in house for a few weeks and did not think it worthy of it's 1k+ price tag, you are better off going with a beta or used dyhnahi if you can find one. I have never heard the mapletree amps except for one at a meet so I can't really comment on that amp

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Mapletree HD2 and have AKG701 and can tell you that this is not an ideal marriage. Mapletree HD2 is as linear a headphone amp as it gets - like straight wire with gain. It is not tubey at all (at least to my ears.

I am thinking of Raptor too ... good luck

I have the K701 and ebay offers a used mapletree ear + HD for 350USD. Do you think its the best choice for the money - or better get a darkvoice? Thanks!

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 14
That is way cheap for Mapletree. I know there have been a lot of improvements for Mapletree from one model to the other.

On the other hand I have also heard good synergy between 701 and Darkvoice.

You should also budget in NOS tubes for Darkvoice.

Another big plus for Mapletree is excellent service from Dr. Lloyd.

I see two good choices for the price.

Good Luck

Apr 16, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the K701 and ebay offers a used mapletree ear + HD for 350USD. Do you think its the best choice for the money - or better get a darkvoice? Thanks!

Maybe the mapletree and another headphone.

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 14
I did a ton of research on which amp to buy for my K701s , was considering a raptor and then bought an upgraded woo6, which should be here Thurs. very excited to hear it.

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a ton of research on which amp to buy for my K701s , was considering a raptor and then bought an upgraded woo6, which should be here Thurs. very excited to hear it.

What made you decide on the Woo 6 over the Raptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back