RSA Protector for Fischer DBA-02 + Sennheiser HD600?
Feb 4, 2011 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jodles

New Head-Fier
I just finally received the Fischer DBA-02 earphones. Directly out of my iPhone they sound very clean and the soundstage and detail is greater than what I'm accustomed to with my cheaper Denon buds, however, it sounds a little dull and lifeless. I've heard the DBA-02 are very transparent, and this might be showing the iPhone's poor output.

I'm wondering how the RSA Protector would work with the DBA-02? I have already considered the Protector for my HD600 at home, and it would be a win-win situation if I could use the same amp with both. I know the Protector plays well with the HD600's, so the question lies mostly on how it would play with the DBA-02. 

As an alternative, maybe it would be better with two separate amps? If there are good alternatives that would add up to the total price of the Protector?

edit: I listen mostly to classical music, but I also love everything from Pink Floyd to Chromeo. Generally I don't want a too much colored response, as I would like to use these for monitoring recordings as well.. This would rule out any tube-amps, right ? (pardon my ignorance if I'm wrong.)

J

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 8
I would think it is a very good choice as it does balanced output for you HD600s so in case you change your cables to balanced, there is no need for a new amp. At that kind of price for a portable amp, i would think that the sound quality would not be close to bad at all even though i have not heard it, but i cant tell you about its transparency though. If you really want to get two separate amps (1 portable and 1 desktop), i would probably look into getting a mini3 which is know for its transparency to price ratio especially if you can get it second hand and a Little dot MK5 or E7/E9 combo. There are really not many good solid state desktop amps around that go for less than 350

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 8
Nice suggestions! Thanks a lot!

I might build the mini3 to learn something. And when I've done that, perhaps by the Protector or the Little dot MKV..

Should I be very careful amping the DBA-02? How much can I anticipate that they will handle without breaking?...

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 8
I Amp my DBA's via Low Gain on my Headsix and they sound awesome!! I did have them amped on High Gain at one point and couldnt turn the volume past 1/4 without it being to loud. Your mini3 should work quite well with them.

Quote:
Nice suggestions! Thanks a lot!

I might build the mini3 to learn something. And when I've done that, perhaps by the Protector or the Little dot MKV..

Should I be very careful amping the DBA-02? How much can I anticipate that they will handle without breaking?...

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Sounds good! Might do the mini3 then.

The low-gain on the Headsix is 4 dB? Maybe I should design the mini3 for 2x gain then (6 dB)? How would that work with a high impedance headphone like the HD600? Too little?...

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Your problem with the Fischer's might be the ear tips. I recently received a pair of Eternas and was disappointed that the high frequencies were missing. The only Eterna tips that fit me were the bi-flange units. I tried the large single-flange tips from my Hippo VBs on the Eternas and the highs appeared. The fit wasn't great so the bass was variable. I ordered Comply T-400 tips and the sound is now great. The intensity of the highs can be adjusted based on how far the Complys are pressed onto the Eterna nozzles. Maybe different tips will help your DBAs.

Steve

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Good point, Steve!

My DBA-02 came with 6 different pairs of tips (triflange + different single-flange). Will give them all a thorough comparison.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back