RSA P71 vs Shadow vs Mustang?
Feb 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #16 of 32
Personally, I prefer the Shadow over the Mustang. The Shadow has just that little extra umph that the Mustang doesn't have. It drives my JH 13pro very very very well and the size is unheard of. Just my opinion.

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 32
I love the Shadow's size and ease of use. Having the input and output jacks on either end really helps over the Hornet/Tomahawk.

The Shadow is an IEM amp only, whereas the Mustang has further options, and only a bit larger in size. I keep the Shadow for true portability, and only use IEMs when not deskbound.

If you are still in the stage of trying different headphones all the time with your portable setup, I would stick with the Mustang.

I agree that the SR-71 probably has the best sound of the lot of his amps, however it runs on 2x 9volt batteries, and is biggish for portable use. If you are going to use hard to drive headphones on-the-run, it might be your best choice though, and find some good rechargables.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed....though I have yet to hear a Mustang/Shadow.

I have the Tomahawk sitting around here somewhere. You're more than welcome to rent it for a month or a couple of weeks. PM me.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Tomahawk sitting around here somewhere. You're more than welcome to rent it for a month or a couple of weeks. PM me.

Is that directed to me? That's a nice offer, but I've heard all of Ray's portables (incl. the Tomahawk) but not the Mustang/Shadow as mentioned earlier.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #21 of 32
@Wolfen yes it is directed towards you or any one else that wants to sample RSA amps.. I might be persuaded to loaining out my Shadow. I use it everyday but no biggy if I switch back to the Tomahawk for a couple of weeks. PM me if interested.

PS I don't have the Mustang or Predator. Probably won't get a Predator due to unique jack.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 32
To me the original SR71 and the P51 are both excellent and either will do the trick. Personally I found the SR71 to be a bit more open and the P51 a bit punchier. Either will make you happy.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 32
I made the decision to get the P51 based on budget constraint. it has serve me well and has provided continuous enjoyment since i got it. Its is a great AMP btw. I love it so much that i am planning to keep it for good
smily_headphones1.gif

But if i were to wind the clock back to the time i am making the decision again and with no $$ constraint, i would have chosen the SR71. :p

Mar 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by darlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made the decision to get the P51 based on budget constraint. it has serve me well and has provided continuous enjoyment since i got it. Its is a great AMP btw. I love it so much that i am planning to keep it for good
smily_headphones1.gif

But if i were to wind the clock back to the time i am making the decision again and with no $$ constraint, i would have chosen the SR71. :p

between SR71 and SR71A , any significant diff ?
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

A difference, yes. Significant, maybe.

The SR71 to my ears has a slight perceived edge on detail and sounds more open and distant, while the SR71a has more bass/warmness and a pleasant full and upfront sound. I really like both of them, but prefer the original version.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

To my ears, yes! The original SR71 has an airer/clearer presentation, it has much better micro-dynamics, longer note decays, and a more extended top end. The soundstage in the SR71 is deeper.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #28 of 32
Do either the shadow or the mustang have a dac built in?
I'd prefer it if I could use these amps at home with my AD700s rather than only outside.

I might be getting an Auzen forte for my computer, but that will take time.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #30 of 32
I was able to try a mustang with about 1000hrs on it and a shadow with about 200hrs. Must say that altho the sound signature is similar, i felt that the mustang had better attack speed and instrumental separation (altho many have said the shadows' better?). But i still went and got myself a shadow cos the difference wasn't too significant, plus i really wanted the digital volume control
smily_headphones1.gif

Now after about 100hrs on my shadow i'm really happy with the sound i'm getting.. No regrets at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back