RSA owners say it's dark
Mar 22, 2009 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
Many say that RSA amps are dark. Does this mean that it's on the warm side or that it's quiet, silent?

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 16
Its warm , meaning bassy.
Cold is a detailed sound with the bass sorta rolled off, and may be thin.

Warm is fuller and the bass is the foundation of it, highs may be a bit either rolled off, or just not as prominant.

Dark is very warm, rolled off highs, bassy.

Hard to explain it, although i know what it is when i hear it.

Just like chocolatey, syrupy, vanilla, mellow, sweet, cottony, pillowy, musical, fast, slow, bloated, thin, thick, round, sharp, smiley faced, reverse smiley, clinical, analytical, tubey, hard, soft, solid, loose, flabby, balanced, neutral,piercing, forward, laid-back, 1st row, 3rd row, fat, deep, wide, narrow, head stage, sound stage,
metalic, boxey, attack, decay, separation, ......ETC!

Look at all these words while listening to music, and imagine the sound of each description, and read how others describe equipment that youre familiar with.

Funny how equipment can sound chocolatey
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why exactly did you edit this thread from the original topic about Justin not sending your Pico back?

Last edited by sling5s; Today at 09:37 PM. Reason: Resolved

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 16
I missed that change but anyway, i have both a Pico and a RSA Hornet M and the way i hear it is..........
The RSA Hornet M has more bass and more gain if needed it seems but a higher noise or maybe distortion level. The Pico sounds to me to have less bass or punchier bass not as full but then a very low noise floor and better detail. So yes the Hornet is warmer for sure but with other disadvantages, just depends how you like your music.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

???

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
???

LOL read the reason why he edited it.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL read the reason why he edited it.
wink.gif

Ha ha. Got it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many say that RSA amps are dark. Does this mean that it's on the warm side or that it's quiet, silent?

Both!
biggrin.gif
I find that Ray's amps have a silent background and are on the warm side. Plus Ray has one of the best customer service anywhere.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 16
I would guess if RSA's are dark (warm) then it would not be a good match for the hd650 since they tend to be on the warm side too. I had the XP-7
and Sr-71's. I guess I should have gone with a more bright amp.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 16
Ray cant get parts for the SR71 anymore, so he cant make anymore, so if u like it, keep it, cuz u cant buy another one except used.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Cool I was thinking I wanted to start saving up for the Raptor to go with my HD650s. I like my bass and my music a little warmer. One of these days I will have to get some brighter head phones.

Mar 24, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool I was thinking I wanted to start saving up for the Raptor to go with my HD650s. I like my bass and my music a little warmer. One of these days I will have to get some brighter head phones.

Swapping out tube on the Raptor can give you a plethora of sonic signatures, there are sooooooooo many tube rolling options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back