RSA Hornet to Headroom Micro Amp Upgrade?
Feb 3, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 32
I notice you have both the Desktop and the Totalbithead. How much better is the Desktop than the TBH? I am sure there is a big difference but how great is it? Do they have a similar sound? I know this is a tough question but any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice you have both the Desktop and the Totalbithead. How much better is the Desktop than the TBH? I am sure there is a big difference but how great is it? Do they have a similar sound? I know this is a tough question but any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

The most obvious difference is obviously power. The Desktop drives my cans with far more authority and that brings a better image and soundstage. I'm not sure why, but the changes the crossfeed onthe Desktop makes are nicer and more obvous than the one on the Bithead. That wider soundstage is really there and all about you.

The Bithead seems muddier and warmer. I didn't like that much at first, (and I normally do like a warm sound) but it grew on me. The detail of the ER4-S phones is more than a bit sharp to me, though so they turned out to be a pretty passable match to the Bithead. Their differences (weaknessess?) actually help each other out.

I haven't tried the USB (or the DAC at all yet) on the Desktop so I can't comment there.

I need to dig up my RCA to mini adapter so I can try my amps with the same source (the SACD player), and I might as well bring the Bithead home and give it a test as well.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 32
Thank you. That was very helpful. I just got a MicroDac which I am using with a HeadFive amp. I had been using the TotalBithead alone and as the DAC for the Headfive. I hear a big difference. The HF with the MicroDac is cleaner, smoother and the soundstage seems a bit wider. Not surprising but interesting. I am now trying to decide if I should get a better Headroom amp to replace the HF. The HeadFive with the MicroDac is pretty nice already.

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmclaurin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll echo a lot of what luckybaer has already said. I own both of these amps (HR Micro w/ DM, RSA Hornet), and I own one of the headphones that you do according to your sig (Senn HD650).

Hmm..

I've noticed something interesting, looking at that picture. I've also found a thread that goes along with what has come to mind.

The two ports on the Micro look really close together. The plug on the ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock I use is HUGE. It just barely fits in the Hornet between the volume knob and the plug on the E500 headphones.

I worry that the Jumbo Cryo won't fit in the Micro with a headphone cable next to it. What do you think?

The fact that the sockets on the Xenox EPC are on either side of the amp is another keen feature more manufacturers should consider.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikesul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you. That was very helpful. I just got a MicroDac which I am using with a HeadFive amp. I had been using the TotalBithead alone and as the DAC for the Headfive. I hear a big difference. The HF with the MicroDac is cleaner, smoother and the soundstage seems a bit wider. Not surprising but interesting. I am now trying to decide if I should get a better Headroom amp to replace the HF. The HeadFive with the MicroDac is pretty nice already.

That seems like a really nice combo, I'd keep it.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Little off subject, but bmclairn, is there anyway to adjust the velcro holder on the micro stack to fit on a hornet? Looking for some great carrying system and always wondered if that was possible. it looks like near impossible looking at the 2 setups side by side.

No - I, too, own both the Hornet and a HR Micro (Desktop Module) with the Micro Strap. The strap is a really cool solution for carrying a dap, but is waaay too big for the Hornet. It is custom made for the Micro - heck I even tried with a LaRocco PRII, and it was too big for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAzhrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm..

I've noticed something interesting, looking at that picture. I've also found a thread that goes along with what has come to mind.

The two ports on the Micro look really close together. The plug on the ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock I use is HUGE. It just barely fits in the Hornet between the volume knob and the plug on the E500 headphones.

I worry that the Jumbo Cryo won't fit in the Micro with a headphone cable next to it. What do you think?

The fact that the sockets on the Xenox EPC are on either side of the amp is another keen feature more manufacturers should consider.

Just compared the spacing on the mini in/outs on the Hornet and Micro - identical. If your cables will fit on the Hornet, they will be just fine on the Micro.

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No - I, too, own both the Hornet and a HR Micro (Desktop Module) with the Micro Strap. The strap is a really cool solution for carrying a dap, but is waaay too big for the Hornet. It is custom made for the Micro - heck I even tried with a LaRocco PRII, and it was too big for that.

I was wondering the same thing in the past, but it didn't look like it would work to me. That's why I just went with the Micro Bag. I put some velcro tabs on the bottom of the Hornet and stuck it to the bottom of the bag. It's held tight and the bag is plenty big enough for a DAP and the Micro so a DAP and the Hornet fit great. I'm still trying to come up with a way to make a DAP stand that can go on top of the Hornet.

Quote:

Just compared the spacing on the mini in/outs on the Hornet and Micro - identical. If your cables will fit on the Hornet, they will be just fine on the Micro.

That is good to know. Thanks!

Feb 4, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmclaurin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I started w/ the Micro Amp along with the Micro DAC, and it's a great little rig. Not really small enough to be truly "portable" as compared to a lot of the offerings out there (e.g., Xin supermicro, Ray's Tomahawk, and even the Hornet itself), but you can definitely take it with you on the go with a minimum of effort.

My only real quibble with the Micro Amp is the portability factor. It's just OK in this regard but not great. Battery life (especially with the DM) is pretty bad. And there's no internal charging circuit. So if you're planning to go on the road with it, be prepared to change batteries often, which is a pain because you have to undo the two thumb screws on the back, remove the back plate, etc. Not a big deal to do once or twice, but when you have to do it every few hours of playing time, it can get old in a hurry.

Here's a pic that shows the Micro Amp and the Hornet side-by-side. Good luck.

Barry

p563162932-3.jpg

More at http://photos.mclaurinfamily.com/p927247764

in checking your photo's out, do you not feel that the MicroAmp mates better in size as a good base for your DAP's? and especially with the HR strap. it appears to me the smaller amps look awkward with DAP's and not balanced like with the MicroAmp.

for me I think in most portable situations that I will be in, the wallwart will be coming along with me MicroAmp. for out and about on me person I'm not sure I can handle carrying anything over the DAP itself and that's with any portable amp made to date. maybe with the right bag attached to me belt it could be another story. I have a bag intended for backpack shoulder straps or a pants belt. it has two pockets, one if infront of the other all under one flap that just may work well with the MicroAmp and an iPod. I have still yet to get an iPod so..

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hope this isn't a threadjack, but I own a Micro and connect an iPod via an ALO Cotton dock and listen to Cardas cabled HD650s. Both the Cardas cable and ALO Cotton Dock are terminated by Canares F12 jacks. The fit is EXTREMELY tight. So tight that I had to cut the heatshrink off the (new) Cardas cable to make it fit more comfortably. Even so, the two Canares F12 terminated cables angle away from each other when plugged into the Micro. The F12s are forced against one another to such an extent that the jacks in the microamp will wiggle a bit. I wrote Headroom about this, asking whether this would damage the amp but never heard back. However, no harm seems to have come from this and now that I listen to the Microamp with ER-4Ps almost exclusively, I don't have this problem.

As this was my very first setup, I was very disappointed that the Microamp spacing would not allow two F12 terminations to fit comfortably side by side. One would think this would be quite common.

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Shears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope this isn't a threadjack, but I own a Micro and connect an iPod via an ALO Cotton dock and listen to Cardas cabled HD650s. Both the Cardas cable and ALO Cotton Dock are terminated by Canares F12 jacks. The fit is EXTREMELY tight. So tight that I had to cut the heatshrink off the (new) Cardas cable to make it fit more comfortably. Even so, the two Canares F12 terminated cables angle away from each other when plugged into the Micro. The F12s are forced against one another to such an extent that the jacks in the microamp will wiggle a bit. I wrote Headroom about this, asking whether this would damage the amp but never heard back. However, no harm seems to have come from this and now that I listen to the Microamp with ER-4Ps almost exclusively, I don't have this problem.

As this was my very first setup, I was very disappointed that the Microamp spacing would not allow two F12 terminations to fit comfortably side by side. One would think this would be quite common.

Do I understand you correctly. You think going from a Horent to a Micro is an upgrade? Just curious where you came up with that idea?

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I understand you correctly. You think going from a Horent to a Micro is an upgrade? Just curious where you came up with that idea?

trose49, I'm confused. I don't have and did not express that idea. I didn't mention anything about the microamp vis a vis the hornet (which I've never heard).

I was only chiming in (helpfully, I hope) on the spacing issue I've had with the microamp in response to TheAzhrei's initial comment on the matter. In sum, two Canare F12 terminated cables will fit, but NOT comfortably, into the microamp.

cheers,
M__

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Shears /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi there!

Actually I believe it was your post on another thread that got me wondering about the fit if I did want to get a Micro. I don't think it would matter though, since I don't use my HD650s for portable listening and the plug on my E500s is nice and thin.

Since it's apparently a general consensus that going to the Micro wouldn't be an upgrade anyway, I'll probably stick with the Hornet, even with it's lack of crossfeed. In the future I might go with a Portable Desktop with a Home module, but who knows how far down the line that will be?

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Hi there!

Actually I believe it was your post on another thread that got me wondering about the fit if I did want to get a Micro. I don't think it would matter though, since I don't use my HD650s for portable listening and the plug on my E500s is nice and thin.

Since it's apparently a general consensus that going to the Micro wouldn't be an upgrade anyway, I'll probably stick with the Hornet, even with it's lack of crossfeed. In the future I might go with a Portable Desktop with a Home module, but who knows how far down the line that will be?

Tough if not impossible to beat the hornet sound and quality in that price range. Have you considered a HR-2 a bit of a cash upgrade but I own one and WOW! Not portable at all because it has a seperate power supply. But quick and detailed. very nice amp

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Hi there!

That was likely me, as I was really distressed by the tight squeeze and the butchering of my brand new Cardas cable.

Like you, I no longer use the 650s for portable listening and the Microamp (I use them with my new-to-me and awesome Minimax). Sort of like you, I've decided against "upgrading" (in my case, from the Micro to the Hornet), because I'm really liking the Micro right now and not sure I'd get $200 more enjoyment out of the Hornet, though I find much about it EXTREMELY appealing (size, battery life, recharging ability, style, etc).

All that said, I'm much happier with the ER4P - MicroAmp combo than I was with the HD650 - MicroAmp combo. I thought the 650s were a little sluggish, loose in the low end, and just a bit dark for my taste when paired with the MicroAmp. (They're great with the minimax by the way).

Sorry if this is getting off-topic.

cheers,
M__

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough if not impossible to beat the hornet sound and quality in that price range. Have you considered a HR-2 a bit of a cash upgrade but I own one and WOW! Not portable at all because it has a seperate power supply. But quick and detailed. very nice amp

When you have a chance you should listen to the Supermicro IV!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back