RSA Hornet M issues
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ash

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
I need some urgent advice.
I purchased a previously owned - 2 yr old(but still under warranty) Hornet M this past weekend from a forum member. The product was stated to have no issues - cosmetic or audible. I paid him via paypal and recieved the amp yesterday only to discover that everytime I move the volume pot, there is a scraping noise. The noise is very little on the low gain setting but becomes very audible and irritating at the higher gain settings. I was very disappointed but the previous owner claimed that he had never encountered any such issues with it. I doubt this would just happen in shipping. I contacted Ray to see if it could be fixed for free/or for a cost - but he said nothing can be done and it will stay a recurrent problem. He went as far as saying that all other amps have this issue as well - while using this pot.

What have other Hornet users experienced?
How did they deal with this issue?
What do you guys recommend I do - return the amp/dispute in paypal or keep it and try to ignore the prob? I have never had a similar issue ever before and I have purchased quite a few items here and in other forums. If I had known about this issue upfront - I would never have gone for it.
Thanks!

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 12
this is true I also have a hornet -m and when the volume is adjusted there is a small static noise and only when the volume is adjusted this is normal there is no problem. just find the place on the volum control and injoy the music.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Do you mean the static noise when you increase and decrease the volume? That is normal with Hornet, it should stay quiet until you try to increase or decrease the volume.

I have the same issue but it did not brother me a bit as I rarely increase or decrease the volume level. It stay at the same level most of the time.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericwatson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is true I also have a hornet -m and when the volume is adjusted there is a small static noise and only when the volume is adjusted this is normal there is no problem. just find the place on the volum control and injoy the music.

Except I work in an environment where I have to keep changing the volume many times a day, depending on whats happening around me
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphone do you have? It is barely noticeable with my W3.

The ones I tried with this amp are:
OK3s - brand new/ RP21s - broken in/ Cheap apple buds and KSC75. I havent tried my 701s with it yet.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #7 of 12
Try this, it lower the static noise on my Hornet before. Disconnect everything but keep the Hornet on, turn the pot back and forth quickly for around 20 times. Try to make at least half way on each turn.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try this, it lower the static noise on my Hornet before. Disconnect everything but keep the Hornet on, turn the pot back and forth quickly for around 20 times. Try to make at least half way on each turn.

Are you serious??
I will try it when I get home...

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 12
I had this issue to, but if you turn the knob as jc9394 preconise, the static noise must disapear.
On mine it's work when the amp is OF.
you can pull of the batterie to and reconect it after.
it's just dust or patina on track of the little pot.
Ray can change you it i think.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 12
I have the static too and it was there when brand new, just comes with the amp design. With all my different setups it isn't loud enough to be irritating, just when you readjust the volume a little scratch as stated earlier. Good luck moving it back and forth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back