RSA Hornet "M" and Non "M" version
Mar 22, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 9
All current Hornets sold by Ray are the M version. They have been modded to provide (much in some folks' opinion) better sound than the intial run of Hornets. They have a new capacitor and some other stuff added/swapped. You can tell an M Hornet by the M next to its serial number.

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 9
I'll try to find the links to the posts later, but in the mean time, go to the meet impressions forum and look for NY portables meet thread. There's a ton of information, including posts by Ray himself, on the differences physically and sonically. If I recall correctly, Romanee posted a lot of info.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 9
Several long threads here about Hornet original vs the "M", which is the current production model. To get a non-'M" version Hornet, you have to buy one used. It is not a choice when getting one from Ray.

The many other long threads have to do with the Hornet "burn-in" I have both the Hornet M, and the Tomahawk, and found the "burn-in" to be real.

Both of these amps are recommended. Tomahawk runs a long time on a couple of AAA batteries when you use IEMs. Hornet has rechargeable battery, and with them both burnt in, I have trouble telling them apart on my UE-10pro IEMs. I have not tested them with the Senns, perhaps one can tell the difference when more energy is needed.

I am not sure that I have seen a non-"M" Hornet for sale recently. Many of the original owners have upgraded the caps in their amps. I never heard the original, so I won't taint your impression with my lack of direct knowledge. Search the threads.

You might could get a comparo done at the upcoming national meet....

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiandude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have searched all over and cannot find anything on this. So could somebody just please tell me what the difference is? Thanks.

you havent searched hard enough
smily_headphones1.gif

the non M version is more like the SR-71, laid back and smooth, the M version is more punchy and exciting.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

the non M version is more like the SR-71, laid back and smooth, the M version is more punchy and exciting.

Isn't that the other way around?
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Mar 22, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I guess we all hear things differently. To my ears, the original Hornet -- which mine was before the M-mod (unit #9020 = #20) -- had huge/round bass (less defined and not punchy as M-Hornet), very warm/"tube-y" character, rich/warm/lush mids, extremely close up/intimate presentation and accordingly a rather narrow sound stage width, sweet but soft highs, not too much sound space depth.

The SR-71, on the other hand, has a very wide sound stage, deep bass but with appropriate energy-on-demand, well-integrated/contiguous frequency spectrum, extended/clear/nuanced highs, the greatest sense of air and ease of any portable that I've heard to date, quiet/open spaces between performers with velvety-black background, great low-level dynamics and ultrafine detail — AND a very different character than the original (Nichicon cap) Hornet.

Perhaps the (thoroughly "burned-in" = about 600 hours or so!) Tomahawk is closer is character and presentation to the SR-71.

And yes, the M-Hornet (current version) is punchier and more exciting/energetic than the SR-71 and original Hornet. The interim stock (Panasonic cap without M-mod) is somewhere in between, and I prefer the "M".

Just my opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back