RSA Hornet - how did the original Nichicon cap make it sound different?
Mar 15, 2007 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious, as I have one of the Nichicon cap equipped Hornets, what exactly is it about that capacitor that made it different from the later Panasonic capacitor that Ray started using (and subsequently uses on the current "M" Hornet)?

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 12
Cool, I'll start reading-- thanks for the link!

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, as I have one of the Nichicon cap equipped Hornets, what exactly is it about that capacitor that made it different from the later Panasonic capacitor that Ray started using (and subsequently uses on the current "M" Hornet)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bumpwouldliketoknowmyself.

Hi guys. I've already posted the answer to this many times, but here goes:

The original Hornet with the Nichicon cap had a VERY warm, "nostalgic analog vinyl/tube-like" sound, with very big/round/less-defined bass, extremely closeup presentation — like looking through a long telescopic lens — and therefor, as with a tele, a narrower soundstage width. Voices were very lush and close/intimate. The highs were very sweet but not so extended. It didn't really have the dimension, extension, punch and clarity of the current ("M") Hornet with Panasonic cap + "M" mods, nor the wide/deep/high sound space, the speed, or inner detail.

I'll add that it was very forgiving, and kind of like a comfy plush club chair to listen to. Some owners want(ed) exactly that kind of forgiving character and really like it. Others, like myself, prefer more dimension, punch, speed, extension and detail – thus the "M" mod – which is still a bit warm and very easy to listen to for long sessions (6 hours flights included – though my Tomahawk did very nicely on my last flight).

I could write more, but I think that should give an evocative picture of the sound.

Cheers.

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys. I've already posted the answer to this many times, but here goes:

The original Hornet with the Nichicon cap had a VERY warm, "nostalgic analog vinyl/tube-like" sound, with very big/round/less-defined bass, extremely closeup presentation — like looking through a long telescopic lens — and therefor, as with a tele, a narrower soundstage width. Voices were very lush and close/intimate. The highs were very sweet but not so extended. It didn't really have the dimension, extension, punch and clarity of the current ("M") Hornet with Panasonic cap + "M" mods, nor the wide/deep/high sound space, the speed, or inner detail.

I'll add that it was very forgiving, and kind of like a comfy plush club chair to listen to. Some owners want(ed) exactly that kind of forgiving character and really like it. Others, like myself, prefer more dimension, punch, speed, extension and detail – thus the "M" mod – which is still a bit warm and very easy to listen to for long sessions (6 hours flights included – though my Tomahawk did very nicely on my last flight).

I could write more, but I think that should give an evocative picture of the sound.

Cheers.

Man I am so envious. I wish I could write this well!
frown.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Man I am so envious. I wish I could write this well!
frown.gif

Yeah, he has a way of describing each amps he got that's very precise, intriguing and stylish! [EDIT] If I had to pick a reviewer for any products, I would probably choose him!

I have to admit when I first came to Head-fi, Romanee was the first Head-fier that I remembered each and every time I logged in. He's also one of the reason why I fell in love with the Portaphile
icon10.gif
, his descriptions of it were just too wonderful to not buy it.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Yep it does, I tried it with a duracell alkaline... hmm 2 hrs and it's dead.

I have a custom 14v regulated tread coming my way so I can fully do it's burn-in and to listen at home... it have like 25 hours to go and it will probably be at 500 hours or so.

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep it does, I tried it with a duracell alkaline... hmm 2 hrs and it's dead.

I have a custom 14v regulated tread coming my way so I can fully do it's burn-in and to listen at home... it have like 25 hours to go and it will probably be at 500 hours or so.

Love to hear how the tread performs!

BTW -- remember, remember, remember: when on the go with the Portaphile, use the iPower 500mAh 9V Li-Po rechargeables, switch everything on EXCEPT wide bandwidth OFF, and enjoy about 8.5 hours of play, OR disposable Ultralife 1200mAh 9V Li-Ion for 20 hours with this setup.

I know some like to enjoy wide bandwidth, but especially on the go the enhancement of WB is so subtle you won't hear it with ambient noise, so why not enjoy more play time?

For those who've found the iPower Li-Po batteries to be a tight- or no-fit, the new ones are supposed to be narrower for fit in more amps. I hope to get a couple soon to try.

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, he has a way of describing each amps he got that's very precise, intriguing and stylish! [EDIT] If I had to pick a reviewer for any products, I would probably choose him!

I have to admit when I first came to Head-fi, Romanee was the first Head-fier that I remembered each and every time I logged in. He's also one of the reason why I fell in love with the Portaphile
icon10.gif
, his descriptions of it were just too wonderful to not buy it.

[BLUSH!]

Really glad you enjoy my chatter, and if it helped I'm very happy.

Mar 16, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by romanee
BTW -- remember, remember, remember: when on the go with the Portaphile, use the iPower 500mAh 9V Li-Po rechargeables

I know ! I just didn't have the time/money to buy the charger when I received the amp. I might buy Hydrocity's batteries/charger package if it's Portaphile's buyer doesn't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back