RSA Hornet goes well with...?
May 25, 2007 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Agphoto

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to buy my first amp, and I somehow got it into my head that I can afford a Hornet right now, I have never had an amp before, But right now I have a new set of SR225s, and plan to buy ( as soon as my other cans sell ) some HD580s or 600s

Would a hornet mate well with these particular cans? with an assortment of iPods as sources?

what do you guys think?

May 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 35
It should work well with all of those, the only cans I did not find to synergize as weel as others with the Hornet was the Beyer DT770-250's.

May 25, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 35
Actually, I wasn't entirely impressed with the performance of my Grados with the Hornet, which is a big part of why I ended up selling it. Sounded wonderful with the K701, adding warmth to the signature and a healthy dose of thump. With my Grados, it didn't do much more than eliminate hiss (mostly attributable to the iPod lineout) and offer me volume control.

I can't, by any stretch of the imagination, say that they sounded BAD with the Hornet, but once you hear a synergistic amp with a Grado, you'll immediately know the difference. I sure did (ECSS).

May 25, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 35
But as far as sharing the hornet between the SR225s and HD580s would you say it would be a fair comprimise?

(To be completely honest, I am thrilled at how good my 225s sound just straight out of my iPod. )

May 25, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 35
When I asked Ray what can I should get for a Hornet, he recommended the HD600 over the rest. He says it is his favorite can overall.

I'm still waiting for my Hornet, but I am confident it will kick ass all over my HD600's.

May 25, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I asked Ray what can I should get for a Hornet, he recommended the HD600 over the rest. He says it is his favorite can overall.

I'm still waiting for my Hornet, but I am confident it will kick ass all over my HD600's.

even more than the HD650s?

May 25, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agphoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But as far as sharing the hornet between the SR225s and HD580s would you say it would be a fair comprimise?

(To be completely honest, I am thrilled at how good my 225s sound just straight out of my iPod. )

Absolutely, 100% resounding YES. In researching, I'm sure you've read about the features and versatility of the Hornet, specifically the adjustable gain. If you like the 225 stock, you'll like them out of the Hornet, just don't expect to hear an enormous improvement. When considering that you'll be using it for multiple headphones, it almost becomes a no brainer. It's a fantastic amp, with a sound I really enjoyed with the K701 (RIP).

Bear in mind, there are other options though. I haven't had a listen to the AE-2 yet, but it brings many of the same features to the table as the Hornet does and it's damn sexy to boot. The RCA connection in the back is, to me anyway, a huge bonus. That said, it doesn't look nearly as portable as the Hornet, which has an excellent form factor.

May 25, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 35
I can't speak for the SR225 but the Hornet sounded great with my PS-1's. I know Ray likes the HD600 over the HD650 but I still prefer the HD650... better bass
eggosmile.gif

The great thing about most of the top portables is that you can return them if you are not happy. Ray has a great return policy as does Headroom and TTVJ and I believe Headamp will as well but you may want to check with Justin first.

May 25, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even more than the HD650s?

When I met Ray and auditioned his amps, he stated quite clearly that he prefers the 600s to the 650s (it surprised me as well). I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I think Ray's opinion is that the 600 is more resolving than the 650. Anyway, when it came time for him to show off the B-52, he used balanced 600s (they were already plugged in).

May 25, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't speak for the SR225 but the Hornet sounded great with my PS-1's. I know Ray likes the HD600 over the HD650 but I still prefer the HD650... better bass
eggosmile.gif

The great thing about most of the top portables is that you can return them if you are not happy. Ray has a great return policy as does Headroom and TTVJ and I believe Headamp will as well but you may want to check with Justin first.

Well that's cool. I appreciate all the insight and information. I'm going to talk to Ray as soon as my cans sell. I think I'm still going to go with the Hornet, it's primarily going to be used for the sake of the HD580s/600s. and occasionally the SR225s, not necessarily because I feel they need to be better, because I love how they sound, but because of the limitations of the iPod itself, I'm only going out of the headphone jack right now. Going out of the dock would significantly improve the quality overall. Which to me, makes a difference and justification. I'd set up a little basic dock with the apple dock until I snag an ALO dock line out.

oh and FTR, they're also going to be used with Etymotic ER4Ps sometimes ( I already have a P-to-S adapter )

BTW - wakeride, your quote is one of the best lines ever said on television
wink.gif
Jack Bauer is such a badass lol

May 26, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 35
Besides headphones, I find that the Hornet goes well with portable speakers.

I have these portable JBL speakers, kind of an older model from about 5 years ago and when I hook up these speakers to the Hornet, my small DVD player with stereo RCA outputs and TV, the sound is impressive! It definitely packs a punch.

It's great for DVD watching in the spare bedroom or hotel room. It's like a transportable mini home theater audio rig that can easily fit in my bag. I love how the Hornet sounds in general with a DVD player when you want a minimum size amp. No real need to bring that big stereo receiver actually.

May 26, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 35
I was amazed at what the Hornet could do even with PX100s...they open up, soundstage widens out, takes a very ordinary phone and turns it into something astounding. Then you plug in the bigger Senns and the Beyers, etc. etc...

May 26, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
images
I enjoy my Hornet with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Rats. You beat me to it. Actually that was my first thought, but then I decided on "A good cabernet and dark chocolate."

BTW guys -- I also prefer the HD600 over the HD650.

Hornet sounds great with lots of phones, including Grados. HF-1 and RS-1 sound wonderful with it.

Actually, regarding "don't expect to hear too much improvement with the Hornet over iPod headphone out…" — not my personal experience. Depends on one's ears, frame of reference, mind/ear system, and level of fussiness. My level of fussiness seems to be very high. Compared to iPod > ALO > Hornet, iPod headphone out seems lifeless, flat, "ducks-in-a-row" soundstage, noisier, etc. In other words, for me there's much more musical and enjoyable sound with the Hornet as compared to iPod headphone out. No contest.

I check this frequently to be sure it's not placebo or some other deception, but for me it's a clear and undeniable improvement.

Best wishes for fun experimentation and general enjoyment.

Oh … and along the lines of the positive PX100 note, my Hornet sounds great with my PXC300s, which tho' very efficient and easily driven by the iPod, sound so much more dimensional, robust and enjoyable with iPod > ALO > Hornet > PXC300. Besides use around (noisy) town, when I'm not using my ES2s, I often use them at work when I need the noise reduction to block the frequent noisy Ad Agency chatter, or want more stealth than my DT880s can (can't) provide.

May 26, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Compared to iPod > ALO > Hornet, iPod headphone out seems lifeless, flat, "ducks-in-a-row" soundstage, noisier, etc. In other words, for me there's much more musical and enjoy sound with the Hornet as compared to iPod headphone out. No contest.

Agreed, and well said.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back