RSA Apache Impressions (with nice pic)
Sep 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #391 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ do you prefer silver dragon over stock?

Absolutely, but I can't tell how much of the improvement is due to the build quality or materials of the Silver Dragon and how much just to going balanced (my stock calbe is SE). At some point I hope to have the opportunity to test different cables.

Oct 6, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #394 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by danne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cullen Stage IV mod of the PS Audio Digital Link-III + The Apache + HD 800
Really looks likea killer combo on paper.
Musical and warm but yet full of detail.
If only there was a easier way to try out stuff like this before you go onto buying.

Exactly the system I am in the process of setting up. DLIII with mods ordered, discussing shipping with Ray on the Apache.

I love the HD800 with the Raptor, but really looking forward to balanced. My office will prefer non-tubed gear as well. I hope to give a description of SE vs Balanced, and Apache vs. Raptor before selling off the Raptor.

Will still be a few weeks to get all the gear. Still need to choose/order a balanced cable.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #396 of 405
Not sure atm. I have been looking at them all so far. I plan to sell my ultra micro dac after the DLIII comes in, then I will be able to look at the cables options better. I don't plan on spending over 500 on the cable.

Current choice would be the Blue Dragon I suppose. I go back and forth on sticking with copper, or going silver plated. I am too fearful of breaking solid core silver.

Recommendations? I listen to jazz, vocals and blue grass, with only occasional classical and rock. I decided on the DLIII + Apache for the warmness, with detail, but don't want to dampen the dynamics with too warm a system. I might have gone for the B52, except I am really trying to move to a SS system, and it cost more than I want to spend atm. The thought of paying for tube rolling the B52 makes my wallet squirm.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #397 of 405
Just get the B52 and step off the RSA dynamics merry go round
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #398 of 405
i agree that the B52 is definitely a noticeable, i would even say large, step up from the apache. as for moon audio cables for the HD800, i was deciding between a blue and silver dragon and opted for silver. at the moment, it seems a bit bright but the cable is less than a week old so i hope it smooths out after some use. also, my Cary 306 is a bit of a forward sounding player, so that plays a role. we'll see. if it doesn't work out, i'll sell and try something else.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #399 of 405
I am trying a different route on balance with the Apache. I just ordered the JH13PRO with an 8 foot balanced cable. They had this setup at the RMAF CANJAM and they sounded fantastic with the 6 drivers for each IEM. Both Ray and Jerry as well as everyone else who listened could not believe how great this was. I get to be the first official balanced cable for the JH13PROs but Jerry was going to add it to his product line.

Oct 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #401 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying a different route on balance with the Apache. I just ordered the JH13PRO with an 8 foot balanced cable. They had this setup at the RMAF CANJAM and they sounded fantastic with the 6 drivers for each IEM. Both Ray and Jerry as well as everyone else who listened could not believe how great this was. I get to be the first official balanced cable for the JH13PROs but Jerry was going to add it to his product line.

How flexible does the balanced cable compare with the stock one?

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #402 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is one benefit of the Apache. with the low gain, you can use IEMs with it; whereas you cannot on the B52.

you can always put resistors in the cable

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #403 of 405
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How flexible does the balanced cable compare with the stock one?

The balance cable will be made with the cable Jerry uses for his aviation business. It seemed very flexible on the 54" one he created for the show.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #405 of 405
I know there were a couple people, i believe it was ASR and skylab that were going to trade apache/GS-X to compare that i read from posts that were on 07 :/ but i was wondering if that ever came to fruition, or if anyone has had the chance to compare the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back