RS2i/650 HD currently on the Grado SR60i
May 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ambush276

Head-Fier
Somewhat of in a pickle i have been reading the forums here and it seems almost a deadlock between these two cans. I currently own the SR60's and they are a great set of headphones but this is my dilemma.

I like the Grados and they are very warm. I especially like the fact that i can discern the different instruments very well and also almost feel like I am plucking the guitar. The very good intonation is the key aspect i like about the SR60's.

That being said i was thinking about getting this amp/dac
http://www.pacificvalve.us/MusilandMD10.html

the thing im worried about getting the RS2i's i that they are not too comfortable. The 60's have those pads and the RS2's have those bowls but they look wayyyy less groovy than the 650Hd's which have the velour and full ear wrapping goodness. It tends to seem that the 650's are silkier and smoother while the RS2i's have more life to them?

I mostly listen to Classical and contemporary jazz (sting 1990's) as well as some inde rock.

its a really tough call as they are about the same price range and seem to have great options.. i guess im just wondering for my purposes are the grados worth the extra money?

(Grados are $495 Sens are $350)

May 12, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey Ambush,
I have owned the k701 (I've never tried the 650 but I assume they have similar comfort levels) for quite some time now and just bought the RS2i a few weeks ago.  The 701 is WAY more comfortable than the RS2i for long periods of time, the RS2i is plenty comfortable for a few hours though.  I think that your ears toughen up after a while; when I first got the RS2i I could only wear them for about an hour before I had to take them off, now I can wear them for two hours with no discomfort.  After getting the RS2i I now understand what people meant when they say that Grados put you in the music, the RS2i makes me feel like I'm in the middle of the band while the 701s make me feel as if I'm sitting in the audience.  I still love both though, each serve a separate purpose.  Sorry I can't compare them with the 650s, I think the 701s are rather similar though.

May 12, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 9
hmm that is a good analogy "putting you in the music" i guess from someone at my standpoint is it truly worth it getting the RS2i's? is it that big of a sound difference over the SR60s?

I really love the Grado Feel etc..but i am def.. worried about the comfort levels....

still those SEns look SOOOO comfy!

May 12, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 9
The Senns would be very comfy. But the 650 is an extremely hard to drive 'phone. Totally different sound signature to Grado though. Funny noting that you're mostly into classical and jazz and are looking to a higher Grado though. There are other options that might be even cheaper, and don't need amping such as the AD900, which still maintains a Gradoish sound while having a more expansive soundstage, and to most people is extremely comfy.

May 13, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 9
I think the RS1i I had was much more comfortable with the bowls than with the flat-pads (not the same as the sr60 pads though). The bowls take some time to get softer and take the shape of your ear but after that they are great. Not as comfortable as the HD650 but didn't bother me at all. Very light headphones too.
Take the RS2 for something similar to the SR60 but better, take the HD650 for something different and more comfortable.

May 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 9
from what ive been hearing it almost seems to be worth it to get both cans (well over a decent time period lol).

Since i have the SR80's maybe go for a pair of HD650's? That way i will have the ability to have both SoundStages...and if i like Sens just stay with them but i can also get a pair of RS2i's down the road... That way i will have the power of Grado and Sens ATM.?

May 14, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
from what ive been hearing it almost seems to be worth it to get both cans (well over a decent time period lol).

Since i have the SR80's maybe go for a pair of HD650's? That way i will have the ability to have both SoundStages...and if i like Sens just stay with them but i can also get a pair of RS2i's down the road... That way i will have the power of Grado and Sens ATM.?

Just as there are those who are eclectic in musical taste, and those who are quite focused in their preferences, the same applies to headphones.

I'm quite flexible with the sound of headphones and love the variations in presentation and sonic signatures.  Be that as it may, I've now discovered the sonic signature that I really love and would prefer having if I had to settle for only one and that is, a more balanced and reference type presentation.  The HD600's, K702's and HD800's provide that sort of presentation.

The HD650's are different from the RS2i's.  Quite different.  If you're really into that forward presentation, then the more laid back approach of the 650's may not be to your liking.  My preference goes with the style of the HD650's, especially for those long and relaxing listening sessions. However, for a more exciting and fun presentation (one that is fatiguing for me after a while), the RS2i's will be great.  Great clarity and tonality, IMO.  Great fun with Rock (try the flatpads there) and very light which translates to it being one of the more comfortable Grado's to have.

May 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 9
If comfort is an issue, then there's a few things you can do.

I have HD414 pads on my Alessandro (reverse quarter modded) and while they're comfortable (almost circum-aural), they were lacking something, and I felt like my ear was a little too close to the driver. I glued a pair of earpads from another old, crappy pair of headphones that I have onto these, and they're amazing comfortable now, and the soundstage is opened up a lot. I'd say they're about as comfortable as my AD700.

For the headband, I got a BeyerDynamic DT770/DT880/DT990 headband, and it simply clips on over the top of the Alessandro/Grado stock headband. It's very comfortable, and doesn't put much pressure on the top of your head.

It looks like this:

May 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 9
interesting mods.. it still seems like a very hard choice.. my friend has a pair of the HD 800's... will that be a good representation of the HD650? I am going to see him later this week and test them out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back