RS2 shout-out in TV show
Jul 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
Thought I'd share - had the "Covert Affairs" pilot on in the background while doing some work and this blind guy at the CIA mentions he's wearing Grado RS2s and talks them up a bit (although he pronounces them Grah-do instead of Gray-do...)

Most direct high-end reference I've seen!

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 20
I also recall in Gilmore Girls (Hey, my sister's favourite show, not mine obviously; she called me up to show me this scene since she knew I was into headphones) they directly mention and show the Grado SR125... don't know exact info on which episode which season etc but I did see it for sure! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 20
A friend told me I had to watch that show because... well, just sharing a love for Piper I guess.  And I was distracted the whole time by pretty Mahogany of the Grah-do's. Should have put them on Piper.

That has to be an advertising coup for Grado.  Some of the more extreme product placement I've seen on TV, I think.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
A friend told me I had to watch that show because... well, just sharing a love for Piper I guess.  And I was distracted the whole time by pretty Mahogany of the Grah-do's. Should have put them on Piper.

That has to be an advertising coup for Grado.  Some of the more extreme product placement I've seen on TV, I think.

She is a cutie - kind of has a young blond Julia Roberts thing going on

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 20
I knew they were Grado's! I just never expect those kind of headphones on TV. Let's just hope other people saw that commercial and type "Covert Affairs headphones on commercial" so they'll stumble into headfi.
smile_phones.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 20

Quote:

Yeah, it's really the only thing I can look at at this point...

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 20

Quote:

I think it might just be the creator's doing as a genuine Grado fan.

Also, I watched the episode and I really like that blind guy's acting. I hope the show sticks around! Between Burn Notice, White Collar and this, I'm really impressed with USA Network. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
I think it might just be the creator's doing as a genuine Grado fan.

Quite likely you're right -- and it's still got to be an advertsing coup (even if unsolicited, and free) and some of the most extreme product placement (even if not placed by the "producer")! I'm just expressing surprise at the prominence of this niche product.

And just as purely a visually appealing item (</off Piper Pierabo references>), I think they should have used a buttoned version.  Acknowledging, of course, that if I were doing it just as a fan, I'd have used whatever it was I owned and loved. The RS-2 was already less predictable than the RS-1 or up!

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 20
Smart guy, that John Grado. :wink:

Monster Dr Dre beats have some clever marketing going on in the UK where it is pretty obvious (to my mind anyway) that premier league footballers are getting paid for every time they are photographed or caught on film wearing the dre cans or iems.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 20
The RS1 is priced for the headphone expert, RS2 is the more affordable model and makes more sense to advertise to an audience not already enamoured with the Grado sound.

Shame Grado never comments with his account; I'd love to know whether this is some clever advertising or just a fan doing a shout-out with his show.

Quote:
Quote:

Quite likely you're right -- and it's still got to be an advertsing coup (even if unsolicited, and free) and some of the most extreme product placement (even if not placed by the "producer")! I'm just expressing surprise at the prominence of this niche product.

And just as purely a visually appealing item (</off Piper Pierabo references>), I think they should have used a buttoned version.  Acknowledging, of course, that if I were doing it just as a fan, I'd have used whatever it was I owned and loved. The RS-2 was already less predictable than the RS-1 or up!

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #14 of 20
After the pilot I wanted to come on here and share the Grado spotting but forgot. I just finished watching a recording of the second episode and they prominiently show th Grado's again. At the last scene, they (the CIA tech ops) gifts a young boy a set of Grado's in a fancy wooden box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back