RS2.....I hope I forget that sound
Jun 9, 2002 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jms007bnd007

500+ Head-Fier
I haven't been into headphones for too long. Up until today I had actually only heard one "good" pair of headphones, my Senn HD280's. So today I figured I would go check out what the local shops carry. I went to a place that carried Grado phones. They didn't have them hooked up to any sort of independant amp, so they weren't up to their full potential, but I still got a good idea of what they sounded like. I first tried the SR60's. I had read that they were a sweet sounding phone for the money, and I must agree. I compared them to the SR80's and thought the 80's highs were too abrasive. I preferred the 60's.

As I was walking out of the store, I noticed they had a pair of RS2's in a case at the counter. I asked if I could try them out. The guy handed them to me and I plugged them into the same source as the other headphones on display. My goodness did they sound good. They were effortless in the mids and highs, and the potential for good bass was present (I obviously was not hearing the full sound without an amp). I finally understand the soundstage that I am lacking with my sealed cans. Hopefully I will soon forget what the RS2's sounded like, because I will have to make due with my Senny's for the time being. Once I get my JMT amp, I'm gonna go back down there and check them out again. I really hope they sound like crap, because I defintely don't have the money to buy them at $495.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 8
So, try out the HD600's and you'll probably forget all about the Grado's.

And they're a whole bunch cheaper. Check around on the forum for comments on the 600.

Jun 9, 2002 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 8
If your do try the HD600, I suggest you do so with a headphone amp. I doubt you will get enough out of the HD600 without an amp to make your forget the RS2. At least that was my experience with the HD600 and SR325 headphones.

Jun 9, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 8
gaineso: Quote:

So, try out the HD600's and you'll probably forget all about the Grado's.

Hmmm....I always read the H600 thumpers running amok. I really think sound is soo personal that to make a blazingly ignorant comment like this is beyond tiring, it is annoying. I heard the 600s and I didn't like them. I own the RS-1s...what does that say about me? I like Grados more than Senns, or I atleast prefer the RS-1s over the 600s. So do many people including Vka and Nik who can afford to have pretty well anything they want. He has heard Senns, albeit a lower grade of Senns and he loves the Grados. Don't deter people from enjoying something, suggest other things without the pack-hunting pressure. I am just now waiting for MacDef and Audio_&_Me to come on in to back you up...

Jun 9, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 8
I own a pair of RS-2s as well as the RS-1s. I think both are worth every penny they cost and more. I use the RA-1 amp with my RS-1 and use the RS-2 for the computer and the PCDP.

I have mention that my RS-2s sound better after cutting the pads so the drivers sit closer to my ears (one of the pad mods in headwize), but the sound is not different by a whole lot.

RS-2 is faster compared to the RS-1 and less colored. I listen to the RS-2 about 40% of the time and the RS-1 the rest of the time. Opera sounds better with RS-2. Some rock music does, too. It would be a really hard pick if I had to choose between the two.

I think Grado did the right thing when designing the RS-2, since it is a very pleasant departure from the forwardness of the RS-1.

These phones, along with the RS-1s, have the capacity do deliver sound without effort and distortion. It's like driving a sportscar at low speed: you feel the power when you step on it a little, but do not necessarily feel the need to because you enjoy the slow drive on the windy road.

I love my RS-2s.

Jun 9, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I am just now waiting for MacDef and Audio_&_Me to come on in to back you up...

Um... while A&M might, why in the world would I? Because you prefer the RS1 to the HD 600? Hey, that's great, I have no problem with that. In fact, I think the RS1 and RS2 are great headphones -- I prefer a well-amped HD 600, but if I had $700 sitting around, I might buy a pair of RS1 for a different sound
smily_headphones1.gif

The only time I "defend" the HD 600 is when someone makes a statement about them I don't feel is accurate. And I do the same for the K 501, Etys, V6, etc.... any other headphone I'm quite familiar with. Read my custom title -- I'm not on any "team." :p

Jun 9, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 8
MacDef: no worries, I just notice that A&M and you are often a tag-teaming HD600 duo. I recognize your point and I love your custom sig. I am still waiting for A&M to come out though. He loves to razz me about the HD600s
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
gaineso:

Hmmm....I always read the H600 thumpers running amok. I really think sound is soo personal that to make a blazingly ignorant comment like this is beyond tiring, it is annoying. I heard the 600s and I didn't like them. I own the RS-1s...what does that say about me? I like Grados more than Senns, or I atleast prefer the RS-1s over the 600s. So do many people including Vka and Nik who can afford to have pretty well anything they want. He has heard Senns, albeit a lower grade of Senns and he loves the Grados. Don't deter people from enjoying something, suggest other things without the pack-hunting pressure. I am just now waiting for MacDef and Audio_&_Me to come on in to back you up...

You evidently DIDN'T READ the line you quoted. I used the word PROBABLY and I used it based on consensus of what I've read on this forum AND what I heard at the WOHT stop in Orlando. AND I forgot to mention that, again consensus, the 600's are FAR more comfortable for extended listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back