RS1 with a wood box?
Mar 29, 2005 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rmx

100+ Head-Fier
I was browsing ebay and noticed these:

Grado RS1's with a wood box

How long back did Grado sell these with a wood box? Why did they switch? that wood box looks so gorgeous....

Mar 29, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 19
It's been a while, they're a rarity nowadays. Grado just decided to get cheaper I suppose. Now they ship in cheap cardboard boxes. Mahogany isn't THAT expensive, and it's a $650 headphone. But oh well.

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 19
IIRC, they switched the extension cord and mini adaptor for the box. More practical, if less prettiness.

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 19
BTW.....the box is NOT mahogany. But it is very nice.
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 19
Yeah, I have the box and those are an early production run of the RS-1's. Brown headband! I guess then...gold lettering too!! nice find!

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 19
I believe the box manufacturer was wiped out when the World Trade Centers Collapsed on Sept 11th? I seem to remember reading that here?

“Grado just decided to get cheaper I suppose. Now they ship in cheap cardboard boxes. Mahogany isn't THAT expensive, and it's a $650 headphone.”

I think the price for the RS-1’s has been $695 for almost 10 years now? I think I saw an auction or something where the guy had a picture of the original receipt from 1995? If so something has to give over time.

If you want a wood box the headphones would probably cost $795 these days. Nothings free in life and if they haven’t raised the price in a decade dropping the box is no big deal.

The fancy cases that come with some headphones are not free and you don’t get them at cost so the trade off to me is worth losing the fancy box. The headphones are supposed to be used not stored in some fancy box anyways.

Mitch

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 19
Hey Zanth, can you take some rough measurements of that box and post it here? Just the outside dimensions, thickness of the wood, and how deep the case is with the lid open, and the depth of the lip on the lid would be fine - I'm not too bad with wood, so if I can find some decent hardwood, I think I'll try my hand at making a nice case for my 325's... if its not too much trouble.

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 19
Looks like Sugar Maple to me, but I could be wrong. Pretty inexpensive considering the cost of the headphones. I'd be pissed off if I shelled out several hundred bucks and got cardboard like my SR60's came in. At the very least it should be a FANCY box, rather than the cheap, bland one they have now.

Mar 29, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
Buying a years old pair for 560USD just for gold lettering and a wooden box? lol....

Your missing the point. It's not the lettering or the box......

Mar 29, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Your missing the point. It's not the lettering or the box......

So you're saying that the first versions of the RS-1 actually sound better?

Mar 29, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
It's not the box, it's that version of the Rs-1's you should be interested in.....

heh... if I had that kind of cash, I'd be writing a post entitled "PS-1's don't impress me that much..."

wink.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmx
heh... if I had that kind of cash, I'd be writing a post entitled "PS-1's don't impress me that much..."

wink.gif

or R-10's.
wink.gif

Zoide>That's subjective as whether they sound better. But a headfier (super grado geek) told me they are a little more refined listen than the current RS-1's and I believe him 100%. He has this version of the Rs-1's with the gold lettering. Who knows unless someone does have both versions?

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmx
Hey Zanth, can you take some rough measurements of that box and post it here? Just the outside dimensions, thickness of the wood, and how deep the case is with the lid open, and the depth of the lip on the lid would be fine - I'm not too bad with wood, so if I can find some decent hardwood, I think I'll try my hand at making a nice case for my 325's... if its not too much trouble.

Outside dimensions:
Bottom- 13" wide, 10" long, 1 5/8" high
Top- 13" wide, 10" long, 5/8" high

Wood is 1/4" thick

The top closes directly on to the bottom.
All corners are finger-jointed.
the sides are solid wood, while the top and bottom are 1/8" veneer plywood.
Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back