RS1 vs RS2 vs The Rest of the Grado Line
Dec 25, 2006 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

M0T0XGUY

Headphoneus Supremus
I love my HD 650's, but I feel that they're just not well suited for rock and alternative music. I want to look into getting a pair of Grado's, but I really didn't like the harshness of the SR 60 when I tried them. I've heard better things about the RS1, and the RS2 has gotten decent reviews, but I haven't had the opportunity to audition them personally. What I'm really wondering, though, is if there's a Grado (or Alessandro) that, compared to the SR 60's, has fairly punchy bass and a good midrange, while toning down the treble just a tiny bit. Is this possible within Grado's lineup?

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 66
Grado without harshness? Thats Alessandro. Grado SR225 is definetly not as harsh as SR60 either. All Grados are bright, thats for sure, but not harsh on proper system. That also depends on the ears of the listener. But try Alessandro line if coming from Sennheiser. Safest route.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado without harshness? Thats Alessandro. Grado SR225 is definetly not as harsh as SR60 either. All Grados are bright, thats for sure, but not harsh on proper system. That also depends on the ears of the listener. But try Alessandro line if coming from Sennheiser. Safest route.

So which Alessandro would you recommend? I have a wide budget, if that makes a difference.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 66
Anything practically. MS2i is best bang for the buck, but if you feel Grados uncomfortable, their heavyness will only enhance it. MS1 is you want to hear less harsh and more detailed and neutral version of SR60. Good introduction for Alessandro line.

And then there is MS-Pro which is brother of RS1. There is comparison review of this and RS1 in Full Reviews sub-folder. Read it.

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 66
Hmm, make sure you have a well-matched amp with any of the Grado phones you get if you're trying to avoid harshness. I've got a pair of SR60's (with bowl pads), which I used for several years before finally getting an amp, a PA2v2 specifically. It really did a lot to clean up the overall sound, as they sound much more coherent and effortless with the extra power. I'm assuming the same will apply to all of the higher-end cans despite what you hear about them being better-than-average straight from a headphone jack.

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 66
Did you by any chance try upgrading the cable on the HD650's? It might make them better rock cans and will cost much less than getting a separate grado. If you don't care about money then most definitely go for the RS1

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you by any chance try upgrading the cable on the HD650's? It might make them better rock cans and will cost much less than getting a separate grado. If you don't care about money then most definitely go for the RS1

I'm willing to try out a cable, but which would you consider best suited for rock? Cardas, Mobius? Or something else?

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm willing to try out a cable, but which would you consider best suited for rock? Cardas, Mobius? Or something else?

I'm not sure since I only have the HD600. The Cardas is VERY good for rock w/ the HD600's so I suppose it would do similar justice to the HD650's. Not sure about the Zu, but I heard it makes the HD650's a bit more brighter and livelier. Hopefully someone can chip in that has the combo and comment

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want a RS1.

You won't get "that" feeling when listening to rock with Sennheiser, doesn't matter the cable.

I think at this point I'm going to search around NYC for a good Hi-Fi store to try out a pair of RS1's and see if they have a Cardas cabled HD 650, just to compare. I'll probably audition a pair of RS2's as well, to see how much of a difference there is compared to the RS1's. I know that I would need an amp for either of those headphones, even with their low impedance, but I'm realizing that if I buy the RS1's new, I won't have enough cash left for a proper amplifier. Does anyone find the RS2's to be much worse than the RS1's, even with good amplification / simple mods?

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 66
Quote:

I think at this point I'm going to search around NYC for a good Hi-Fi store to try out a pair of RS1's and see if they have a Cardas cabled HD 650, just to compare. I'll probably audition a pair of RS2's as well, to see how much of a difference there is compared to the RS1's. I know that I would need an amp for either of those headphones, even with their low impedance, but I'm realizing that if I buy the RS1's new, I won't have enough cash left for a proper amplifier. Does anyone find the RS2's to be much worse than the RS1's, even with good amplification / simple mods?

RS2 should be VERY similar. Some say that RS1 isnt worth of the extra price compared to RS2, but then again there are others that feel opposite.
Amplification isnt a problem as long as your amp can feed enough current for low impedance purposes. But synergy might. If you have built your system around Sennheisers, it will probaply have bright devices. Well, putting bright headphone to bright system is generally bad idea...
Any warm and lush amplifier, even cheap ones, should be good enough as long as they are good with low impedance headphones.

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS2 should be VERY similar. Some say that RS1 isnt worth of the extra price compared to RS2, but then again there are others that feel opposite.
Amplification isnt a problem as long as your amp can feed enough current for low impedance purposes. But synergy might. If you have built your system around Sennheisers, it will probaply have bright devices. Well, putting bright headphone to bright system is generally bad idea...
Any warm and lush amplifier, even cheap ones, should be good enough as long as they are good with low impedance headphones.

I'll look into amps a bit later, but what would you say are some (if even slightly) different characteristics of the RS1's and RS2's?

Dec 25, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 66
I'd suggest you use the search function for these oft repeated differences, However, keep in mind all that Maza said is all true and an amp and phone is best thought of as ONE, because their strenths and synergy is parramount when speaking of a high resoulution instruments such as these... Did you read the Mapletree EMP thread over in the amplifier subforum? If not, I'd suggest you do. Which would also turn up, I believe, if you tried a search of these phones, the grado RS-1/2...

Good luck!

SAID/ASKED: Does anyone find the RS2's to be much worse than the RS1's, even with good amplification...

The differences are preferances and some folks have concretely stated they do in fact prefer the RS-2 over the RS-1 in their system and to their ear which includes their preferances... Again, this is archived under the search function.

Dec 25, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 66
Quote:

I love my HD 650's, but I feel that they're just not well suited for rock and alternative music. I want to look into getting a pair of Grado's, but I really didn't like the harshness of the SR 60 when I tried them. I've heard better things about the RS1, and the RS2 has gotten decent reviews, but I haven't had the opportunity to audition them personally. What I'm really wondering, though, is if there's a Grado (or Alessandro) that, compared to the SR 60's, has fairly punchy bass and a good midrange, while toning down the treble just a tiny bit. Is this possible within Grado's lineup?

I just wonder: how can you say HD650 are no good for rock and alternative?
I don't see an amp in your sig. I think this is why they don't sound any way near they can and should.
I think the MS2i is nearest what you describe if you want to go "Grado".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back