RS1 vs HD650 from a non-audiophile POV
Nov 11, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #16 of 68
What would she say after listening to them for an hour?
To most people unexperienced with high quality sound reproduction the more flashy sounding component is initially more attractive.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Check the HD650 GRAPH on the HeadRoom site. The highs are seriously rolled off, relative to the lower midrange. You could ski off that slope.

Good point. For some reason people rarely mention this, then again people rarely mention the Grado peaks (http://graphs.headphone.com/index.ph...Name=Grado+RS1)
smily_headphones1.gif

Every graph has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Noo! Now that you have mentioned THE VEIL, there will be war unending between Sennheiser fanboys and Grado fanboys over whether the Sennheisers are veiled or not and whether there is a limited selection of music appropriate for Senns or if they can play all music fine.

It's second only to placebo effect in its applicability to Godwin's Law, wherein as the number of posts in a thread increases, the probability of a mention of the placebo effect, Sennheiser veil, etc. increases to 1.

Hey, I'm a Sennheiser fanboy and I hear the veil~!

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #19 of 68
I know this doesn't matter much when you consider the difference in sound signature.. But isn't the RS-1 considerably more costly than the HD650?

Does Senns have anything in the RS-1 price range?

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
I know this doesn't matter much when you consider the difference in sound signature.. But isn't the RS-1 considerably more costly than the HD650?

Does Senns have anything in the RS-1 price range?

You are right. The RS1 is twice the price. However, with the ZU the prices are much closer. Though I would not count that as it is only fair to consider "stock" equipment in this case.

As I said, I will not really compare until I give both a very good listen. However, it is hard to take the RS1 off my head! I am accustomed to the Grado sound signature so naturally I will be swayed to the RS1 right off the bat.

Today was a Senn day for me. I rocked out to The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium and it sounded excellent. I also gave Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams a spin. The bassy, darker Senns do an excellent job on both. In fact I immediately preffered the 650 on the Mars Volta disc over the RS1.

Nov 11, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 68
Which headphones did she put on first and for how long?

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #24 of 68
Too bad you didn't say Grados first. It would have made such a nice academic case for the HD 650.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Check the HD650 GRAPH on the HeadRoom site. The highs are seriously rolled off, relative to the lower midrange. You could ski off that slope.

Better than going hiking with Grados.

Nov 12, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 68
She's got great taste in music, too
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 68
Hilariously enough, my cousin just came over and echoed almost exactly what my girlfriend said.

Apparently to non-audiophiles the RS1 lays the smack down on the HD650.

My cousin said the 650 had "more but sloppier bass and not nearly as sharp as the wooden ones."

This time Deloused in the Comatorium was the reference.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dentomat
What would she say after listening to them for an hour?

After an hour she'd probably be going "Zzzzzzzzzz..."

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek
Hilariously enough, my cousin just came over and echoed almost exactly what my girlfriend said.

Apparently to non-audiophiles the RS1 lays the smack down on the HD650.

Yeah, but so probably would the Sony V600. Lots of boomy, overemphasized bass = "sounds so good" to many people.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #30 of 68
My experience of the Rs-1 and hd650 differs slightly. I found when I amped the 650's with a fast and punchy SS amp I really enjoyed them. With the Rs-1's I cannot stand SS amps only tube amps. Yet I do not like the senn hd600 or 650 with tube amps.

I think synergy matching the 650's would make them on a more even playing field with the Rs-1's.

I don't think the Rs-1's are better than the 650 or vice versa. I think my preferences, types of music I listen to usually determines which headphone I prefer to use more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back