RS1 to K701 am i going to regret this ?
Apr 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 makes every recording sound the same. If you happen to like the flavor it adds, then great, but if not, you'll hate all your music! If you can audition them, then do it! problem solved.

I agree with this. The K701 and Grado PS-1 are two phones that I've noticed do this, but the RS-1 doesn't seem to suffer from this problem or any other Grado that I've heard.

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 makes every recording sound the same.

That is honestly the best description of the K701 my memory can relate to.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #48 of 63
Having owned the K701 and RS1 together at the same time, i'd guess you may regret the switch since you do listen to quite alot of rock yea?

I'm still having my RS1 with me and even though it doesn't get as much headtime as the MS-Pro, i rarely used the K701 when i had it as my playlists mainly consists of rock too. Only on the rare days that i didn't want something so engaging and fun then i switched to the K701.

You may wana reconsider
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #49 of 63
Agreed, if you like the Grado sound, then downgrade within the same line, don't switch over to a different sound signature as it may lead to disappointment. Why change something you already like?

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #51 of 63
Mods, please delete this thread so nobody will accidentally read the first post alone and get a similar idea. It could cause riots, lootings of stores that carry RS1s, and mass hysteria.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mods, please delete this thread so nobody will accidentally read the first post alone and get a similar idea. It could cause riots, lootings of stores that carry RS1s, and mass hysteria.

should not delete so op can sell for cheap and other head-fiers can leach off and get a good taste of the RS-1 hahahaha
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #53 of 63
Maybe if you have not tried the Senn 6xx series, that may be your ticket. FWIW I just picked up a pair of buttoned RS1's and they are here to stay! Good luck.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AKG chose their method of sound representation and while some (I should say passionately object) say that these headphones are utter crap, just think very carefully before making a remark of that level. R U a speaker manufacturer. Headphones are not an exact science, however it does take quite a bit of effort to design and position the driver to provide the listening experience that the listener is expecting. While I do not appreciate the bright, brittle, and overly harsh K701, however I figure that they were some measures that could improve the sound in both reducing the above statement while restoring the original quality that many bass tracks have. After the simple mod, the problem solved. Replacing the cable is the next step, however I will have to wait until I return from Germany since I am going there for work reasons and not for fun. Hope once and hope for all. Again each company has their own idea for what is and not the sound of a reference class headphone.

I didn't mean to say that they were utterly crap. I really wanted to like them - I was just saying that once I got my RS-1s I had no use for them so the OP should think carefully before making that particular switch.

P.S. I haven't had to do anything to my RS-1's - they just sound great!

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe if you have not tried the Senn 6xx series, that may be your ticket. FWIW I just picked up a pair of buttoned RS1's and they are here to stay! Good luck.

They're just freaking glorious, aren't they? Listen to those for a while, then try an HP1000 (someone else's). If you're like me, you'll prefer the RS1, and you'll feel pretty dandy about saving $1000 extra.

As your brain "burns in" to the sound of the RS1, you'll like them even more.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #56 of 63
have you told us yet which Grado RS-1 you hvae?? Vintage?? Semi-vintage? New buttonless? They all sound different and have their own price ranges. I just got the semi-vintge buttoned variety and love them with my Imod, 3Move or borrowed Caliente amp--and even ampless they sound great.

That said, though, do NOT listen to any rock at all, so maybe that music genre needs something with special demands.

But love my Grados and would suggest keeping them

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #57 of 63
Mine are semi-vintage (#1173) from headfier jetstream. I am jumping back and forth between flats and bowls, still undecided but using flats more. I am coming from a 225 with bowls and amazed at how close the 225's scale with the RS1's, not as much detail and bass but it can hold its own. I almost purchased the new RSi's but that thick cable is a put off. It's be nice to compare but older RS1's look alot better IMHO.

Save the Grados!

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #58 of 63
i just go my rs1 back,

from tnmike1 they are semi-vintage, but i got them recabled with the thick cable and i shoudn't be a setback as its a wonderfull cable, got my bass rounder as it was pretty stiff and punchy its now little bit more smooth and it has more presence,

need some more auditionning, going back to it right now
wink.gif

rs1 dont look good they look dorky , princess Leia style! lol

mostly kidding but still, they look awesome ON my desk ! hehe

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #59 of 63
I am still burning in my new K701's. Coming from HD650, sadly I am resigning my hopes that 701 will start to develop in a way that I will be happy with it. As amazing as they are on warm recordings the body of bass and warmth is not there. Though now It opened my ears to the possibility of aftermarket HD650 cables to open the mid-top end. Is this the priciple of theses cables?

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #60 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry for the OT, but I have to say this was hilarious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still burning in my new K701's. Coming from HD650, sadly I am resigning my hopes that 701 will start to develop in a way that I will be happy with it. As amazing as they are on warm recordings the body of bass and warmth is not there. Though now It opened my ears to the possibility of aftermarket HD650 cables to open the mid-top end. Is this the priciple of theses cables?

You went from the HD650 to the K701? I wish you good luck.
tongue.gif
No matter times I hear the K701, I never thought it was remotely similar to the HD650.

And yes, after-market cables do open up the top end and soundstage as well. I've tried Cardas and a local after-market cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back