RS1 or GS1000?
Feb 23, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by brb9911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, after much debate (and a little research and listening) I decided to woody/recable my MS2's rather than upgrade to the GS1000.

I came to the same conclusion -- I'm going to need to go to one of the HP's or the PS-1 to really "upgrade" my sound.

You meant that the modified (wood and cable) MS2 sound comparable to GS1000 ? Please share your experience with modified MS2.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 33
Finally received the cans (thanks Larry!), and wanted a few listening sessions under my belt before answering, just to refresh my memory.

IMHO, the woodied/recabled MS2 has a more refined and neutral sound than the GS1000s I've heard -- still true to the original MS2 sound, but "bigger and better." Less bass than the GS1000, but it's tigher and more focused. Mids are just dripping with butter. Highs crisp but not harsh. And instrument separation is SUPERB with the BlackMax recable; even crappy AACs sound sweet and detailed in the home setup.

Now I need to get my hands on some GS1000s for a new side-by-side -- I'd like to compare soundstages again, as that's harder for me to recall.

Of course, opinions will absolutely vary.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #18 of 33
Those two cans, in my opinion, are at completely different ends of the spectrum. The RS1 though is more similar to the MS2, and would be the "safer" bet. You simply need to find a way to hear the GS1000 for yourself, and see if you like the change or not. There are plenty of reviews for your perusal to help you make the best decision.

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS1000 is one of those headphones which you definitely must hear before buying. It really shares opinions. So if you decide to go for one, then buy it from some place where you can return them if you don't like them.

x2. Doesn't really sound like a Grado.

Mar 16, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #20 of 33
I've spent a considerable time with a GS1000 using 3 different amps and trying very hard to like them, as a long time Grado fan I viewed them as my next upgrade.
Sad story though, no matter how much listening I do with the GS1000 there is no way , from what I've heard, that I would ever consider a pair.
All the things I find attractive about the RS1s seem to be missing from the big brother.
I have spent enough time with both 325 and 325i to have a fair handle on their performance and while there is a family resemblence to the RS1 the GS1000 seems to be from an entirely seperate branch of the family and I would advise caution and audition(if possible) if considering them.I'm glad I had the chance to try before splurging big time on a purchase I would have regretted.

I'm not saying the GS1000 is a bad headphone, just that more than most it may require good system matching and it is not a given that it will appeal to fans of the other current production Grados.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #21 of 33
I've heard the GS1000 and 325i out of the mapletree 150. while the GS1000 is a tolerable can with it.. i liked the synergy much better with the 325i than with the GS1000. Frankly, the GS1000 doesn't demand decent amplification, it wants the biggest amp that can possibly be thrown at it...even the mpx SE Slam didn't do it.. so far i've only been able to get along with it on the Zana Deux, that's how damn picky it is (and even that required some tweeking).

Imho the GS1000 hits on this thread are unjustified. it's a different grado, but i wouldn't say that its sound-sig is that different. when I compared to the 325i, the DT990, AKG701 and HD650 side by side last saturday, the Grado was clearly in the "Grado" family.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the GS1000 and 325i out of the mapletree 150. while the GS1000 is a tolerable can with it.. i liked the synergy much better with the 325i than with the GS1000. Frankly, the GS1000 doesn't demand decent amplification, it wants the biggest amp that can possibly be thrown at it...even the mpx SE Slam didn't do it.. so far i've only been able to get along with it on the Zana Deux, that's how damn picky it is (and even that required some tweeking).

Imho the GS1000 hits on this thread are unjustified. it's a different grado, but i wouldn't say that its sound-sig is that different. when I compared to the 325i, the DT990, AKG701 and HD650 side by side last saturday, the Grado was clearly in the "Grado" family.

I found the best of the 3 amps I've tried with the GS1000 to be the little Perreaux but it wouldn't surprise me if it turns into a whole different headphone with the right amplification, I've had experience of that with the W1000/Yamamoto combo where the ugly duckling becomes a swan.

Re the Grado sound and the GS1000...every other Grado I've tried has always placed the vocals front and centre, pride of place if you like,while I found the GS1000 moved them further back and on some tracks really bought the drums to the front, great sound(and the best cymbals I've heard)but unnatural in the usual placement associated with most bands.

I also found the bass on the GS1000 to be deeper than the RS1 but with a tendency on some tracks to loose definition and control, but again this could well be an amp/phone matching problem.

The current owner of the pair I tried purchased them new and unheard and has mated them with a RS Raptor but the fact that he has hardly used them after several months is a strong pointer that unless you've absolutely sure they're what you want, try before buying.

I do wish the RS1s were as comfortable as the GS1000s however, the best fit for me that I've tried.

Mar 16, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuatara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've spent a considerable time with a GS1000 using 3 different amps and trying very hard to like them, as a long time Grado fan I viewed them as my next upgrade.
Sad story though, no matter how much listening I do with the GS1000 there is no way , from what I've heard, that I would ever consider a pair.
All the things I find attractive about the RS1s seem to be missing from the big brother.
I have spent enough time with both 325 and 325i to have a fair handle on their performance and while there is a family resemblence to the RS1 the GS1000 seems to be from an entirely seperate branch of the family and I would advise caution and audition(if possible) if considering them.I'm glad I had the chance to try before splurging big time on a purchase I would have regretted.

I'm not saying the GS1000 is a bad headphone, just that more than most it may require good system matching and it is not a given that it will appeal to fans of the other current production Grados.

If you have the money and can find one, I think the PS-1 is truly the RS-1's upgrade. It has a similar sound but greatly improves on the refinement and expands the soundstage just a bit more but still keeping it very close. It does everything I like about the RS-1 but even makes it better. There's a few that might still prefer the RS-1 just because it's more raw but PS-1 can still rock out.

The GS1000 is just a different sound. So if you like the RS-1, there's no guarantee you like the GS1000. You also might be disappointed if you were expecting the RS-1 sound with just a bigger soundstage.

Mar 16, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS1000 is just a different sound. So if you like the RS-1, there's no guarantee you like the GS1000. You also might be disappointed if you were expecting the RS-1 sound with just a bigger soundstage.

I was and I was but my wallet was happier.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 33
See my sig for clarification on what I'm about to say. For the record, my SR-1000's are modded 325i's (no woody) - more open mesh and dynamat damping on the drivers, shortened cable and (only recently) a conversion to 3.5mm F12 plug.

Now I like these cans, but I've never been able to take them completely seriously since my GS1000's came into the fray.

One thing I've noticed about these cans is that most of the GS1000 owners I've come across have run these cans through tube amps. IME, with my pure discrete/class A amp and a VDA-2/squeezebox setup, these cans rock! (my discrete amp sounds painfully close to the PS audio GCHA in tests I've performed at meets) Now mind you, they're harsh as hell - there's nothing that these cans will gloss over, so my experience is that certain recordings sound piss poor and other's sound eargasmic.

Since you are looking for something else I'd suggest that you consider this:

GS1000 - pure audio in its rawest form; a wysiwyg can with a large soundstage and extreme refinement that demands a flat response source chain; I had to mod my original amp and bypass a set of caps in them b/c they were boosting the bass which made the cans unbearably bassy. These cans will reproduce every musical nuance and present them to you as an island of purity, precision and clarity in a symphonic archipelago if you source them neutrally. Otherwise they won't always sound good and will hurt your ears (IME);

The rest of the Grado lineup - sweet, musical and intimate. Euphonic, forgiving and not necessarily completely accurate/refined sound reproducers.

So my question to you (and the question you should be asking yourself) is, do you want analytic or euphonic? The GS1000 won't always give you both, but for the IME, the rest of the Grado lineup currently in production will only give you the euphonic option.

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #26 of 33
^ Very good way to put it omendelovitz! I completely agree
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #27 of 33
Thanks everyone, and I'm glad this thread was kinda resurrected as I still haven't bought either cans yet. I'm leaning towards the RS-1 as I really enjoy my woody MS2s, and I assume they give me a taste of what to expect from the RS-1s. I also have a Mapletree Ear+ on order, which is pretty legendary 'round these parts for it's synergy with the RS-1. However, I do have a sneaky little devil on my shoulder whispering...MS Pro
rs1smile.gif
. Having said all that, my current cans are the only Grados I've ever heard...for all I know, they might already be quite close to the RS-1/MS Pro sound...?

ps. omendelovitz, we have the same source/dac, which makes your comments particularly interesting, thanks.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS1000 won't always give you both, but the rest of the Grado lineup currently in production will only give you the euphonic option.

very well put

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #29 of 33
pedalhead, while I prefer the GS-1000 in all respects almost over the RS-1, I think one must experience/own the RS-1 at least once in their lifetime. That and given the fact that you have a Mapletree on order... it is a slam dunk, get the RS-1
rs1smile.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pedalhead, while I prefer the GS-1000 in all respects almost over the RS-1, I think one must experience/own the RS-1 at least once in their lifetime. That and given the fact that you have a Mapletree on order... it is a slam dunk, get the RS-1
rs1smile.gif

Yes, now when am I going to get my RS-1?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back