RS1 driver dead...
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Wildsurfer

100+ Head-Fier
A few days, my rs1 started rattling a bit. I blew in the chamber, it took a little while but it worked.
I thought the problem was solved, I slowed something by blowing in the chamber, maybe there really was a hair, but there was something else. The left driver just died. This evening it started making noise louder and louder when low frequencies were played, untill it reached the point where it makes as much noise as my phone when I let it buzzing on a table...

Since Grado doesn't seem to be very reactive to their emails, can you guys tell me how much they charge for a driver replacement ?
The serial number is 676 so the warranty ended a long time ago...

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since Grado doesn't seem to be very reactive to their emails, can you guys tell me how much they charge for a driver replacement ?
The serial number is 676 so the warranty ended a long time ago...

I've had 3 driver replacements, and recablings, they all cost $40

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 15
Oh great, I was so afraid that it would cost something like 100 bucks...

I still have to ship them from France, I'll have to pay as much for the shipping as for the repair
tongue.gif

Do I need to have an agreement with them before shipping the headphones or can I send them with a cheque and a note ?

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 15
i remember reading in another thread that a person just sent them the headphone with money and a note. although i think i would want to confirm the pricing before i did that.

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 15
Yeah me too, but I sent Grado an email a week ago about cap because I have one missing, and I still have no answer...
Maybe I'll ask a friend to call them from the US, it's a bit too expensive for me to call.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 15
yes. do that. cheaper for your friend. or try another email. bother them until they respond. that really sucks about the driver though. i think i would cry if my RS1 broke down like that.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Oh I'm too disappointed to cry...
A bought it from Amkatz a month ago (very pleasant transaction by the way), it was lost in the mail and it arrived only last week, and now I have this driver problem. I'm cursed !
Hopefully a friend bought my old ms2 and a mspro, I'll borrow him one of them while my headphones are gone...

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 15
The best way to contact Gradolabs is by phone.I've tried emailing them in the past and...well...lets say that this is not the best way to contact them.Usually no answer or a reply that gave me the impression that they didn't read my message

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 15
When one of the drivers blew up in my RS-1 this past spring, I sent an email to Grado late one night, and received the response email in one hour. Someone was there manning the email at 11pm EST.
blink.gif
Probably John.
biggrin.gif

Anywho, the driver replacement was $100, not $40.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anywho, the driver replacement was $100, not $40.

Wow, 100$ plus shipping from France, ouch !

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #12 of 15
I've called / emailed a couple of times on various matters. I think I found their voice mailbox full on one call.

But... they've generally replied via email within 24 to 48 hours... sometimes as little as 4 hours... as you said "late at night."

They may be a bit informal, and rather abreviated in their comments... but, they seem to be generally responsive. I'm sure they get many emails / voice mails and that it's difficult to manage them all.

You might also want to suggest the issue / importance in your subject line - it seems to help them prioritize their responses.

Aug 31, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I'm too disappointed to cry...
Hopefully a friend bought my old ms2 and a mspro, I'll borrow him one of them while my headphones are gone...

Am I this friend? Are you sure I'll lend you one?
wink.gif

I'm joking, there's no problem. Sorry for your RS-1, I hope it won't cost you too much!!

Sep 4, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Yep, of course I had to ask you before borrowing one of them, I just didn't want to explain the whole story ^^
Since it's ok, I'll take your hf1
icon10.gif

By the way, Amkatz called them for me (thanks again Andy
wink.gif
) and Grado confirmed the price, 100$.
So to sum up, the procedure is :
- 100$ joined with the package, cheque prefered
- a note explaining the problem
- you pay the shipping from your house to grado's
- grado covers the return shipping

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 15
ouch that one nasty sums for one defective driver, it's a blessing that i love my HD650 more than any grado i tried yet
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back