RS-ii Infinity Speakers - worth it for $50??
Jan 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ilikepie116

Head-Fier
Found some Infinity RS-ii (circa early 80s) at Goodwill on Saturday for $50. Sound GREAT to my ears!!

Anyone else have experience with these speakers?

Open baffle midrange/tweeter section with grille.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 18
$50? They look like they could be worth 10 times that. I would have gambled on those definitely. 

The best speakers I've ever seen in Goodwill were large Advents which are probably worth about $60 which is also what they were asking.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 18
Thats one heck of a deal, those a definitely worth ten times that on the used market, in fact
the tweeters sell for more than that when you can find them.

Are you kidding me ? My first thought was this was a joke.

That's a great scroe !

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 18
I think the speakers are in my place now.

I went right to work: bypassed the hi and mid pots, removed the clip-ons and soldered all wires to the driver and a quick clean up. They sound excellent. I have a pair of Qb which I did the crossover update and this RS II is on a different level. Next I think I will work on the Ren 90 I also have. Thank you for selling me the RS II.

Apr 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 18

Sportager,

I may be keeping it for a while. I imagine I may sell it some day but I know that's not the answer you want.

It sounds different than the Ren 90 but very musical and detailed. I just soldered one more pair of wires to each woofer from the crossover points to firm up the bass, which is very effective. I also have my woodworking friend made new grills for them so they look good too. Next is a layer of wood treatment stain of some sort.

Thank you,

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 18
to be honest ? I compared these speakers back in 1985 at a military retail store against  Polk audio, all Bose systems available, dbx, Cerwin Vega and even klipsch.  and the only comparable sound quality to them was the Bose 601 (not the 901).  the Bose 601 sound as beatutifull to the RS-II however they did not handle as much Power as the Infinity did.  The Bose 901 and the Cerwin Vega D15-EE supported more power but were just a little behind the Infinity  in terms of fidelity (I listen to a lot of classical music).  The Bose 601 and even the 401 paired up in fidelity with the infinity but not in power.  You have a hell of a deal, I could offer $400 to you for that pair if you want because I like fidelity and power.  I owe a pair of Bose 901 and the sound is marvelous but can't put as much power to them as the infinity can handle.  Wanna save some space ?, I give you my 401's plus $200 for your Infinity's.  You'll have the same qualty of sound just not much power to party on your back yard but you will enjoy them plus the benefit of Bose is that you can find replacement for the drivers anywhere and at an affordable price.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 18
correction, I owe a pair of Bose 401 not 901 and they can't hold as much power than your infinity RS-II.  If you don't have a receiver or amplifier that outputs at least 125 watts RMS, then your infinity's RS-II are just a waste, you can get the same quality of sound with Bose 601 and even 401 saving you some space,  I have a Technics SA TX-50 Receiver that outputs 125 RMS Watts and I nned a more powerfull speakers like the one's you have, the Bose 401 just work fine for my classical concerts listening indoors on a 16x16 family room.

Aug 23, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 18
Aug 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 18
Maxchau....you will keep them only as long as your wife allows you to...lol. My great score is a set of JBL L120 at a local thrift store for $20. The cabinets were a little rough and the woofers had surround rot. Did the surround for under $30 and refinished the cabinets and grill covers for another $30. These speakers had a mrp of $1100 and they sound lucious. Gotta love deals...I also scored a pair of Klipsch KG 1.5 for $30 at the same store with rough cabinets....refinished the cabinets for under $10 and they also sound great in my bedroom setup with a nice little tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back