RS-1s
Dec 20, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #16 of 21
I also just got some new RS-1, buttonless model. My opinions are similar to the op. I ordered some flat pads because some people said that they prefer them vastly over the bowls, e.g., some guy from 6moons.

I'm also using Stello DA-100, except EF-1 as the amp. The RS-1 will be balanced eventually.

I noticed that you have to wear the earpads so that your earlobes are inside the bowl. It really puts you into the music, but it gets a bit uncomfortable (physically) after a while. The highs aren't that harsh for me, but its effect on certain recordings can be distracting. Hopefully it'll soften up with burn-in. The RS-1 are very engaging and the bass was quite a surprise for me. I'm used to hearing detail with a lean and/or cooler presentation. People said that the flat pads give the RS-1 more bass which isn't something I really wanted, but I think they tame the highs as well.

The GS1000 presents the lows, mids, and high in a similar fashion, but with a huge soundstage (mids are less engaging as a result), so I don't know why people say the GS1000 doesn't sound like a Grado. I tried the huge bowls on the RS-1, kinda weird, the sibilance (sss) was more pronounced. The sibilance on the GS1000 is more (chh, ji, and a variety of sounds). They might be the perfect headphones for me if they didn't exhibit those sounds. I tried the bowls on the GS1000 and what do you know, less sibilance, but the music sounded odd and the sound stage got zipped up.

The RS-1 sounds good with certain genres, but then they are too much for others. A bit odd perhaps, but I found some pop songs to be too engaging or overwhelming for me. Perhaps it has to do with the recording. I also noticed that pop songs sound better to me on lesser equipment compared to other genres. So, maybe this is the louder equalizer crap that's I'm hearing.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 21
Probably get the MAD Ear+HD?
My MAD EAR+ HD with all RCA tubes never sounds harsh with my RS1's and GS1ks.I'm quite satisfied with the combo now but still I want to to Zana Deux.

Since you already got the WA6,maybe you might look for some nice tubes to macth the sound you like.
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 21
Thanks for the feedback. Because of the upcoming holidays all ive had time to do it wash the pads (used vanilla soap ^^ cans smell good). Didnt have the heart to crush them. Ill try the tape after the holiday. Im really curious about replacement tubes for the Woo 6 - Is the Princess Sophia worth the price? Im sure theres a thread on WA6 rep tubes - ill have to check it out after christmas madness.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays ALL!

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #19 of 21
Just got my flat pads.

They are definitely less harsh, very easy to listen to, but they also seem to tighten up soundstage. I imagine it's like going from front row seats to on stage. It also sounds less dynamic. The opposite effect of going balanced with the HD650. Hmmm... The vocals sound like honey. Thick and sweet. I prefer the bowls so far, but the flats give me this creamy feeling. The bass with flats engulfs you like a series of tidal waves. I think I might like them more as I spend more time listening. Grados are certainly fun, that's for sure.

I tried the flats on the GS1000. Oh boy... soundstage was gone and the bass was bumpin. Sibilance was pretty much gone. Fun stuff.

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try flat pads with the RS-1. You can use the SR-60 comfies if you want and inverted Sennheiser HD-414 pads are an option, too. Aside from that, if you want a classic "tubey" sound, find an amp with directly heated triodes (e.g. the 2A3, 300B and 45) and a transformer coupled output. That will give you the sound you're looking for. If all else fails, you might want to think about a different pair of headphones.

Uncle Erik, how does this classic "tubey" sound differ from an OTL amplifier? By this I mean, does the OTL sound more solid state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back