RS-1's with reverse bowls=good. Now what?
Dec 26, 2005 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've used bowls. I've used reverse bowls. And i've used flats. I still find it awesome (and frustrating in a way) that I can change the sound of my RS-1's so drastically with different pads. I'd discovered that for the majority of the music I listen to, I either like reverse bowls or simply the bowls on "properly". Flats are good for some things, but in my opinion they take away more than they improve, at least with my setup.

The problem is, that reverse bowls s-u-c-k comfortwise. As they should, because they weren't designed to be worn like this. I've seriously been thinking about getting some C-pads from Headphile, for both a comfort and soundstage AND sound quality point of view. I'm also open to suggestions. Basically, I'd like to maintain the balance I believe reverse bowls provide, just with a more comfortable wearing experience.
rs1smile.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
have you tried 414 pads from sennheiser?

Nope, I haven't tried that option. It's so cheap that I might as well try it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 11
I don't blame you....reverse bowls are awesome as they are my favorite but i agree they can really hurt after long sessions.

I have never heared a piair of C pads but if it places the driver farther from your head then you probably will not have the same effect as the reverse bowls.Maybe if someone with both can verify this.

Dec 26, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 11
The HD414 pads are very comfortable, both on Grados and on the actual Senns! They are composed of a much softer, finer foam than any Grado pad, comfies included. They don't itch like the others, and cushion well.

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 11
I just use the bowls, the way they come. Over time, they soften up, and bring your ears closer to the drivers. Also, that is the way the headphones are supposed to sound, IMO.

Dec 26, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 11
I definitely appreciate the bass that the flats deliver, but for me, the highs get too "smooshed", if you understand me. I like what little soundstage the RS-1's have with bowls. This partially goes away with reversed bowls, and then definitely goes away with flats (IMO, of course).

If I am a fan of the reverse-bowl/bowl signature, would it stand to reason that I'd like the Zeta Bowls from Headphile (assuming I can plug a lot of the ports for added bass)?

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 11
I just don't get the pad voodoo.

Drivers close to ear = more bass, less high end, less soundstage
Drivers far from ear = less bass, more high end, more soundstage

HOWEVER YOU DO IT, the effect is the same. Tape, reverse bowls, flats, senn pads, all they're doing is moving the drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back