RS-1 only hurts my left ear?
Feb 24, 2006 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got my RS-1 in the mail today. No cosmetic defects at all, looks excellent all around.. I'd provide pics, but all I have is a Logitech webcam that takes pictures at a resolution so low that they're basically worthless.

Anyway, I've been listening to them for a good while, and I'm noticing that they only leave my left ear in pain. I'm not talking about internal damage or anything, but soreness on the outside. Only the left ear. I looked in the mirror, and both of my ears appear to be the same size. I looked at both earcups and the pads on the RS-1, and they appear to be symmetrical. Both earcups are aligned evenly on both ears, as far as I can tell. So why is only my left ear suffering? lol.. weird.

Aside from that though, they sit firmly on my head and aren't too uncomfortable. Oh yeah, and they sound pretty good too..
rs1smile.gif

Anybody else experience the one ear thing? I think I'll stop by Radioshack tomorrow and pick up some of those pads that are supposed to fit Grado's perfectly and sound mostly like flats.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 15
Consider yourself lucky. thats 50% of what most of us have had to endure.

The pain, soreness, redness and bruise goes away after 2-3 weeks as your ear cartilage flattens and gets forced to follow a new shape.

Flat pads do help, but at the expense of soundstage, image and treble clarity.

If after a couple weeks your ears still hurt, Wash the pads in hot soapy water. It helps to soften them up.

Garrett

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 15
may your nerve endings in your right ear don't work.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Grados are pretty painful sounding
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, i found out i can only use wood grados, i.e. RS-1 and RS-2. That is both a blessing and a curse.

Anyway, back to the original question. Give the grados some time. Don't wear it for too long at a time.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
may your nerve endings in your right ear don't work.

lol..

No, I'm not allergic to mahogany.. at least, not that I'm aware of. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I'll give it a few weeks and see if things improve.

Feb 24, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Have you tried switching sides yet? (left driver on right ear, vice-versa)

An RS-1 owner was forced to sell his phones' on ebay after losing his hearing in one ear... you didn't buy it from that particular seller, did you? o.0

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Have you tried switching sides yet? (left driver on right ear, vice-versa)

An RS-1 owner was forced to sell his phones' on ebay after losing his hearing in one ear... you didn't buy it from that particular seller, did you? o.0

No, I didn't buy them used. That's kinda scary, though.

I did try switching sides.. it was actually one of the first things I tried. Same thing though, only my left ear gets sore.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #13 of 15
Your ears are propably just that much different from each other. Nothing weird here, everyone has a more or less mismathed pair of flaps on their heads.

With Grados the comfort is really a hit or miss, so a slight bump in a wrong place in either ear could make them uncomfortable.

One possible solution is pulling the other side slightly lower than the other, because it's not uncommon that ears are on different position vertically on a head. I know mine are. With supra-aural phones this seems to cause some problems, because the pad may be pressing your other ear in a different angle, putting pressure on the wrong part of the earlobe.

No such problems with circumaural phones though.

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:43 AM Post #14 of 15
Kind of ironic, I just got done playing some BF2 with the KSC75's and a few minutes after taking them off my left ear where the clip hangs on was starting to get sore .. then it got painful, like it was burning.

Didn't feel any discomfort while playing but now they're bad. My right ear is fine though ...
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back