RS-1: More akin to SR-225 than 325i?/Grado Vixens?
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
I noticed someone say that the Rs-1 was more like the Sr-225 than the 325i in another thread, and was wondering what is meant by that. I had a pair of 325i for a while (loved them) and I have a pair of SR-225 currently (still are awesome, but i definitely preferred the 325i). I am assuming the detail would have to be there on the RS-1, and I certainly didn't notice or was bother by any shrillness.

Basically I'm wondering because I am going to upgrade soon, either to the RS-1 or to another 325i. Are they different enough to warrant going back with the 325i, or is the RS-1 simply that much better in every way? The savings would be great if the former is the case, though I would value sound over my dollar for this purchase.

Edit:

My grado vixen thread took time but it seems to have some info and people interested after 2 weeks of having been posted, so I'll keep the discussion for those going in that one.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
search feature. there was a thread about vixens recently, and apparently not many (if anyone?) has tried them out.

tried it, only thing that came up was my own thread with no responses from about a month ago.
wink.gif

edit: ok, it was my thread, it has 3 pages of responses now though :p maybe I should look better. I would still like the opinions on the RS-1 against the 325i, though, and I'm more interested in current opinions, they seem to change a lot on these boards.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 10
I like the Rs-1 more than the 325i in every way. I is just a much better phone. The 325 has very very piercing highs, and they are not at all smooth, and the RS-1 corrects both flaws in addition to improving many other things.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 10
The Grado RS-1 was interesting to my ears...it felt more like a Sennheiser than a Grado with its laid-back kind of style.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Having owned all three IMO the sr225 and rs1 sound similar and the sr325i was the "odd man out", sounding less warm and more treble-emphasized.
This made the sr325i seem to have more detail than the other two, yet it's bass was deeper and had more impact than the sr225.

note - This is based on owning the sr225 and sr325i at the same time, and later owning the sr225 and the rs1 at the same time.
I did not have the rs1 and sr325i together to do a direct comparison.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Rs-1 more than the 325i in every way. I is just a much better phone. The 325 has very very piercing highs, and they are not at all smooth, and the RS-1 corrects both flaws in addition to improving many other things.

This is just it though, I feel like I miss those highs. I don't think its a flaw at all. To me they were much more involving than the SR-225.

So based off of what I am hearing here, the RS-1 is a bit more laid back than the rest of the line? is this correct? I'm definitely looking for something that would even be a bit more involved.

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 10
is it the wood? my sr325i's have sounded a little shriller than other phones i've tried. personally i'd want the HF-1 drivers and housing with my metal cups, see how'd it work.

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado RS-1 was interesting to my ears...it felt more like a Sennheiser than a Grado with its laid-back kind of style.

Now this is what I wanna hear.
smile.gif

Having tried the SR-60, SR-80 & SR-325i and not liking any of 'em due to their shrill nature, I am still really, really curious about the RS-1 and above comment only adds to this craving. Curious about the SR-225 as well, but I might as well go for gold with the RS-1.

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything, but does anybody know a good solid, reputable dealer (who advocates a nice wallet friendly (or well, friendlier) price tag) who ship Grado's internationally..? The price tag here in Sweden is around $900 USD.

Mar 10, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 10
I did not like SR-80's or SR-325i, just a bit too harsh...RS-1 just right not Sennheiser boring and not like those lower Grados. They're much lighter too hardly weigh anything, the 325i however are quite heavy and with the cheaper headband, and the extra weight pushing on your eyes increases discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back